GW 2 Yearly sale income dropped by 80 mil $

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    やめてください! Reputation: 296

Quote Originally Posted by chakraflare View Post
    this game lacked skill builds... the fact you couldn't change your sworld skills or weapon skills really turned me off - i'd rather have zero weapon switching and have 100+ of skills to choose from instead.
    Some people don't like games where you have 100+ skills to choose from where only about 20 or so are useful. They went for a different route here. Even newer MMOs following the traditional route like FFXIV:ARR have a fewer skill pool for each class.

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 69

I like the game's skills. It's much easier to balance.
    I just stopped playing because the faux action combat does not make up for the lack of the trinity and instances are a clusterf*ck as a result.

Orc's Breathmint Reputation: 14

Marineking's Minion Reputation: 53

I dropped the game when they time gated progression in crafting and the likes, hate that.

Bongo Crazy Kong Reputation: 20

No build diversity is what ruined the game for me. Got to level 80 with a Norn Thief got tired of spamming death blossom.

Samus' Girdle Reputation: 10

Mother of GOD.

First of all, the original post is titled to lead you to believe that GW2 is doing poorly. It should be clear that, yes, it's sales of the GAME ITSELF have dropped by 80 million. But what do you expect from a massively popular buy-to-play game? Mirrored sales in the year post-launch? Hell no. Every MMO reports similar % drops (usually much more, actually. The fact that GW2 still sold $30m worth is nuts.)

Secondly, the game is still thriving off of it's in game gem store. It's one of, if not THE most balanced "real money" shops in MMOs right now. There's no advantage to any of the items, but people love it. The fact that GW2 total revenue only fell $40m the year after launch, with no subscription, is insane. That means the population itself is making up ~%50 of the launch revenue with in game purchases.

Thirdly, to address people talking about GW2 in general :

"NCSoft is actually the one calling the shots on whether or not ArenaNet will be able to make an expansion for GW2. So far they've said no since they'd rather spend all their money on Aion and Lineage 2."

Isn't quite true, they just haven't decided to adopt the expansion model yet. They're release a "content" patch in March that will essentially be a small expansion.

"this game lacked skill builds... the fact you couldn't change your sworld skills or weapon skills really turned me off - i'd rather have zero weapon switching and have 100+ of skills to choose from instead."

This is a fine opinion, but realize that when you have 100+ skills, inevitably, 85 are useless.

"I just stopped playing because the faux action combat does not make up for the lack of the trinity and instances are a clusterf*ck as a result."

You must have stopped playing within a month of launch? The game FELT confusing and nonsensical, but people caught on. Now, with things like Tequatl and The Three Wurms, entire maps of 150+ people need to organize, including things like combo fields to heal/remove conditions/buff/etc. The lack of trinity has created a WAY more interesting dynamic. Dungeons are no longer a cluster****, at all, and new "raid" scale content actually gets shockingly organized. Watch videos of the Wurms if you want to see.

"I dropped the game when they time gated progression in crafting and the likes, hate that."

That's fine, but you shouldn't be so quick to drop AAA quality MMOs over something so small. Not only that, it's not *really* time gated. Ascended Weapons also drop from numerous random things now, and Ascended Armor should be seen as an extra near the end. It's bonuses are REALLY small vs. Weapon/Trinkets, which aren't really time gated in any serious way. No more time gated than rare drops in most MMOs essentially are.

"No build diversity is what ruined the game for me. Got to level 80 with a Norn Thief got tired of spamming death blossom."

I don't feel mentally able to address this point. If you played the same build the entire game, without changing it, that's your fault. Death Blossom isn't even remotely the best build, PvE OR PvP. Thieves have 2-3 solid PvE builds, and 3-4 solid PvP builds. Not only that, but each build has 2-3 variations.

Give me one example of another TOP quality MMO with more variation. WoW? Please. FFXIV? Nope. Super linear. Aion? Definitely not.

Rift is one that could compare, but when it boils down to it, even though there's more variation there ends up being the same amount of REALLY good builds.

tl;dr: I'm a fan of GW2, I know where it's issues are and where it needs work, and I think ANet/GW2 are far from perfect, but the game doesn't need this kind of reputation being spewed by people with little knowledge of the game/people who left early.

Xenonight2's Zealot Reputation: 60

The only reason I dropped GW2 was because of underwater battles.

DEMON GIRL APPRECIATION DAY (May 4th)
    Playing MMO: FFXIV (Ragnarok)
    Waiting On: EverQuest Next Saving For: PlayStation 4

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 231

Quote Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
    Some people don't like games where you have 100+ skills to choose from where only about 20 or so are useful. They went for a different route here. Even newer MMOs following the traditional route like FFXIV:ARR have a fewer skill pool for each class.
    and in gw2 only your auto attack is useful, the rest are on such a high cooldown they might as well not exist.

there's a wolf in my heart

やめてください! Reputation: 296

Quote Originally Posted by Candyholic View Post
    and in gw2 only your auto attack is useful, the rest are on such a high cooldown they might as well not exist.
    That depends on the class/weapon combo but yes, you'll be mostly using your autoattack and perhaps the first two skills. Not quite different as other games though. FFXIV for example, with its 100 sec or more CDs on buffs. Or in the case of certain classes, apply DoTs then spam your first skill over and over (Hi Archer).

Xenonight2's Zealot Reputation: 60

Quote Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
    That depends on the class/weapon combo but yes, you'll be mostly using your autoattack and perhaps the first two skills. Not quite different as other games though. FFXIV for example, with its 100 sec or more CDs on buffs. Or in the case of certain classes, apply DoTs then spam your first skill over and over (Hi Archer).
    Indeed. I can tell you a person who has a healer build for elementalist in GW2. They built it to main healing, and not do much damage contribution. I tried building a guardian to actually tank with a shield in GW2, it didn't go too well.

In FFXIV, I play classes like they're meant to be played. I know the classes very well, since they're very similar to other MMORPGs I've played. The Paladin is a standard tank I'm used to. White Mage is good as a Healer, and Scholar being a Sustain/Survival healer. Dragoon is the lone stock Burst DPS of FFXIV. Thaumaturge/BLM is more of a DPS, not Burst DPS, with the constant switching of elementals to keep stacks, it's a bit tiring if you try to make it burst DPS. I can't even begin to play monk, because I really dislike the combo system it employs, among other things. I'm not big on Hybrid Classes much, but I can do Bard, as a support class mainly, foregoing the DPS part of its class and focusing on keeping people's resources stocked when they need to be.

However, there are some MMORPGs that shatter this trend of "Classes" with an iron fist (Or steel? Depends on the game.) Mabinogi did this "at first," but later patches started allowing you to choose a "Class" which determined some stat boosts and starting equipment. But, it still is a majorly class-less game. (Truly. Not like "Secret World" and whatnot, where it binds you to two weapons, and passives/etc. from only those two weapons. No, it lets you have passive stat buffs/etc. permanently, no matter the weapon.)

If you don't like the CDs in FFXIV or GW2, you have a few options still. For GW2, you have necromancer and Engineer. These two classes employ "Slaves" or "Summons" to do most of your work. There are even videos showing how devastating these summon-only builds can be in GW2. As for FFXIV, Dragoon and SMN are going to be the ones you'll have to pick. Both of these classes are either quick to use skills, don't need to use skills often, or otherwise. Unlike Thaumaturge/BLM, Dragoon's Burst DPS with just normal attacks and whatnot are enough to put you at ease.

For PVP however, this all changes, drastically. I won't get into that, because I dislike PVP.

P.S: Don't let people fool you with MRD/WAR, etc. Their cooldowns are the bane of their classes. If you can manage to master PGL/MNK, you can choose that as well on top of LNC/DRG and ACN/SMN. Don't choose SCH if you don't know your cooldowns or your way around healing others yourself (IE: Without your fairy. Change it to Buff Mode, and try healing instead. You'll understand why when you can pull it off.)
    Last edited by coldReactive; 02-19-2014 at 06:04 PM.

DEMON GIRL APPRECIATION DAY (May 4th)
    Playing MMO: FFXIV (Ragnarok)
    Waiting On: EverQuest Next Saving For: PlayStation 4

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast