MMORPG Opinions and Advice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Default MMORPG Opinions and Advice

Alright, well for starters i will introduce myself, you can call me DGill. Currently college student, got into playing mmorpgs a few months ago. Been in and out of different games, which i will be discussing. But i have a few questions for everyone, which did and didnt you like for mmorpgs, and why. Im on the hunt for a decent game, as the ones i've played are starting to get boring.

For starters, i hate click to move style games, i like having the freestyle movement.

I dont mind the preset cast keys, usually the number coordinated gui. However, i like the option to bind abilities to my own preferred keys.

I like, complexity. Rift is still my top mmorpg, because there is a near endless amount of things you can do. You have different races to choose from, the usual Rogue, Warrior, Mage, Cleric. But in those you have a mass amount of options on specific classes, and in the 3 you pick, you get to spread out 60 points between the three anyway you like.

I like mmorpg's where you get to decide how you want your character to be, not a preset skills list or limited amount.

I am a big PvP fan, so i like popular pvp style games, and i prefer being able to move and attack. In Neverwinter, mostly all attacks you can not move while performing.

I also like PvE, though i find almost all mmorpgs do not exactly have an exciting storyline.

Overall, im looking for a good game, with a balanced pve and pvp. I will list the games i've played with my personal cons and pros. And i encourage you to advice me on other mmorpgs i have not tried that you think i may like, or your own opinions on other games. Thanks for reading btw, long post.

Rift

Cons- The game does not get very exciting until endgame, which takes some time to get to. Infact i never reached endgame.

As the usual, questing can get a tad boring.

Is big on Play 2 win almost. People who pay can get better armor etc, better mounts and others

Pros- I like the open world pvp. A Defiant player can go into the Guardian section and kill people if they so choose. Which i like because players have to be more cautious of what they are doing.

Unbalanced pvp. Its a challenge. In guild wars 2 pvp everything is unlocked and everyone is at fair playing level. Where is the fun in that? If i take time to make a better build then the enemy, i should obviously have a better chance to win.

Rift pvp has level groupings. like 10-15. 30-40 or whatever, which doesnt make for a terrible unbalance.

-You can bind your skills to anything you want. You can have up to i think 5 bars to put skills into to use.

-Good customization etc

-MACROS. This makes this game in my opinion. No need to button mash hardcore, you can make a simple combo style set.

NeverWinter

Cons- The casting bar, very limited. Only certain amount of skills available to use at a time.

-Cant attack and move

-Very small pvp, 5v5. Too small in my opinion.

Pros- Its DnD. which leads to a more interesting Story line and questing.

-Has unique things with leveling above just skills and such.

-Even though you cant always attack and move, it adds a bit of strategy, setting up good combos before moving somewhere.

Guild Wars 2

Cons- Questing so far seems a little boring, and a little difficult as well. Almost though you need to always be with someone. Which isnt necessarily the worst, but i had played alone.

-The skill bar, is set for Numb pad, and you cant bind to other keys, so essentially running and spamming is a little harder.

-PvP is just awful in my opinion. Everyone is on even playing field except the fact other people have different skills.

Pros- The story line seems very indepth and interesting.

-From what i've seen (only been playing quite recently) that the map is immensly large.

-Your main attack you can toggle to auto cast, so you can dodge, and run around whilst you are using that 1 ability

-There is in-voice gameplay, not always having to read in text is a nice touch.

Overall, i want a game with lots of customization and what not. I like dungeons, pvp and pve. But mostly PvP lol.

I would prefer not to play a click to move, however it is still an option.

Thanks for reading everyone, and thanks for your future opinions and advice.

Sonicís Milkshake Reputation: 13

Rift is not pay to win at all lmao.

There is gear you can buy in Rift, but it isn't as good as the stuff you can earn, therefore it's absolutely NOT pay to win.

And Rift would have been the game I recommended.

If you don't mind paying a monthly fee, there's Final Fantasy 14, but unfortunately there's no classic PvP, just 4v4 gayness.

I've played practically every MMO out there at least once, and I have to say, Rift is (in my opinion) leaps and bounds ahead of the rest.
    Final Fantasy 14: Level 50 (ilvl 96) WHM, Level 50 (ilvl 90) BLM. Currently doing most endgame content.

Guild Wars 2: (Ehmry Bay) 64 Ranger.

Diablo 3: 70 Wizard, 60 Demon Hunter, 60 Witch Doctor, 65 Paragons.

Wildstar: 37 Spell Slinger DPS.

ArcheAge: 38 Gypsy. (Currently Playing)

Trove: On and off. 20 all classes.

• ^Currently Active - Semi-Active^

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Dawn View Post
    Rift is not pay to win at all lmao.

There is gear you can buy in Rift, but it isn't as good as the stuff you can earn, therefore it's absolutely NOT pay to win.

And Rift would have been the game I recommended.

If you don't mind paying a monthly fee, there's Final Fantasy 14, but unfortunately there's no classic PvP, just 4v4 gayness.

I've played practically every MMO out there at least once, and I have to say, Rift is (in my opinion) leaps and bounds ahead of the rest.
    I love Rift, problem is. Their chat is currently broken which was a big thing. But mainly, i run a 46 warrior currently. And i have a good tank build that survives well, and it kills fairly decently. But not good enough. I mainly want a good DPS build that can take some hits like a tank. But i cant find that anywhere, and im not good at building my own. So i got bored. Any build suggestions or that you know of?

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

Quote Originally Posted by DGill View Post
    -PvP is just awful in my opinion. Everyone is on even playing field except the fact other people have different skills.
    Darn. What do?
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

Still learning the ropes Reputation: 10

Guild Wars 2

Cons- Questing so far seems a little boring, and a little difficult as well. Almost though you need to always be with someone. Which isnt necessarily the worst, but i had played alone.

-The skill bar, is set for Numb pad, and you cant bind to other keys, so essentially running and spamming is a little harder.

Pros- The story line seems very indepth and interesting.

-From what i've seen (only been playing quite recently) that the map is immensly large.

-Your main attack you can toggle to auto cast, so you can dodge, and run around whilst you are using that 1 ability

-There is in-voice gameplay, not always having to read in text is a nice touch.

Overall, i want a game with lots of customization and what not. I like dungeons, pvp and pve. But mostly PvP lol.

I would prefer not to play a click to move, however it is still an option.
    I would strongly consider giving this another go on a tier one server if you like PvP. Meaning Blackgate or Jade Quarry. I had played on a less populated server and quit the game shortly after release. Now it's my go to game. I'll go through your cons:

• Quest system - The story is essentially what it is, story mode. You don't have to do it. It is meant to guide you through the land while providing a cool backdrop to your character based on the options you picked during character creation. You can do all the hearts and explore the map (map completion) to get your way to 80 if that's what you like.
    • Skill Bar - Not sure what you mean, I have my skills bound to keys like Q,E,R,V,Z and mouse keys. The game gives a great way to bind your keys.
    • PvP - If you're doing sPvP you might get stuck on a team with derps but it's still fun. tPvP is very competitive and there's even a ranking system for PvP in general. Everyone's gear is scaled so it's more skill and build dependent. Feels like an esport pretty much. REALLY fun IMO and I log on to do this most of the time. There's some big changes coming to PvP as well. (s is solo t is team)
    • WvW - I'll go through this since it is a major form of PvP in the game and much of what you'll be doing. I've done s/tPvP to level and WvW. I have barely touched quests. On a tier one server WvW is HUGE and is really serious. Lot's of guilds do raids at all hours of the day which makes it really fun. I recently joined a very active and serious guild, and the game is so enjoyable. We have groups of maybe 15-20 sometimes that take out zergs of opposing servers. VERY fun. You could just follow the zerg in WvW and still have tons of fun. Get in TeamSpeak for maximum fun so you actually are coordinated with the group.

BTW you can cast/target while constantly moving it's not just your main attack.

I've played every MMO out, and was very into TERA since closed beta. I was in a very serious guild, but the game is dying and is just becoming a dress up game. Most of the veterans have quit, the game is poorly optimized, end game is boring gear grind with no sense of accomplishments. I recently quit this.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 220

Wait what, Rift is P2W but Neverwinter isn't? Pffffffffffffffft. I think you need to rethink that. Rift is far from pay to win as the items you get from the cash shop are mainly cosmetic/boosts. The dungeon gear you get from the cash shop is really shitty as it is and you're better off just getting it yourself.

I love Rift, problem is. Their chat is currently broken which was a big thing. But mainly, i run a 46 warrior currently. And i have a good tank build that survives well, and it kills fairly decently. But not good enough. I mainly want a good DPS build that can take some hits like a tank. But i cant find that anywhere, and im not good at building my own. So i got bored. Any build suggestions or that you know of?
    No, sorry, I have a cleric, and I'm still messing with builds myself. And honestly, I like the custom specs I've done much more than the pre existing ones.

Also, they fixed chat a couple of days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by shaddy View Post
    I would strongly consider giving this another go on a tier one server if you like PvP. Meaning Blackgate or Jade Quarry. I had played on a less populated server and quit the game shortly after release. Now it's my go to game. I'll go through your cons:

• Quest system - The story is essentially what it is, story mode. You don't have to do it. It is meant to guide you through the land while providing a cool backdrop to your character based on the options you picked during character creation. You can do all the hearts and explore the map (map completion) to get your way to 80 if that's what you like.
    • Skill Bar - Not sure what you mean, I have my skills bound to keys like Q,E,R,V,Z and mouse keys. The game gives a great way to bind your keys.
    • PvP - If you're doing sPvP you might get stuck on a team with derps but it's still fun. tPvP is very competitive and there's even a ranking system for PvP in general. Everyone's gear is scaled so it's more skill and build dependent. Feels like an esport pretty much. REALLY fun IMO and I log on to do this most of the time. There's some big changes coming to PvP as well. (s is solo t is team)
    • WvW - I'll go through this since it is a major form of PvP in the game and much of what you'll be doing. I've done s/tPvP to level and WvW. I have barely touched quests. On a tier one server WvW is HUGE and is really serious. Lot's of guilds do raids at all hours of the day which makes it really fun. I recently joined a very active and serious guild, and the game is so enjoyable. We have groups of maybe 15-20 sometimes that take out zergs of opposing servers. VERY fun. You could just follow the zerg in WvW and still have tons of fun. Get in TeamSpeak for maximum fun so you actually are coordinated with the group.

BTW you can cast/target while constantly moving it's not just your main attack.

I've played every MMO out, and was very into TERA since closed beta. I was in a very serious guild, but the game is dying and is just becoming a dress up game. Most of the veterans have quit, the game is poorly optimized, end game is boring gear grind with no sense of accomplishments. I recently quit this.
    I asked in another thread to no response, I'll try here.

What are people talking about when they say builds in Guild Wars 2? Everyone who uses a longbow has the same set of moves, everyone who uses a shortbow has the same set of moves, etc, etc. So how exactly do you make your own build in this game? Do you mean the last 4 spells you can choose? Just doesn't seem like that would make all that much of a difference.
    Last edited by Adam Dawn; 02-21-2014 at 05:38 PM.
    Final Fantasy 14: Level 50 (ilvl 96) WHM, Level 50 (ilvl 90) BLM. Currently doing most endgame content.

Still learning the ropes Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Dawn View Post
    I asked in another thread to no response, I'll try here.

What are people talking about when they say builds in Guild Wars 2? Everyone who uses a longbow has the same set of moves, everyone who uses a shortbow has the same set of moves, etc, etc. So how exactly do you make your own build in this game? Do you mean the last 4 spells you can choose? Just doesn't seem like that would make all that much of a difference.
    Well there's different type of attacks. I'll give my example on thief because that's what I play.

Short bow isn't all that useful IMO but yes you do get the same 5 skills. However changing the last 4 skills makes a huge difference. They completely change to your play style. Short bow is usually a condition damage DoT type build, it's not really viable I only use it to move faster/kite/contribute in big zergs in pvp. In PvE I would use it to AoE things.

But then there's everything else.There's Dagger/Dagger, Dagger/Pistol, Sword/Dagger, Sword/Pistol, Pistol/Dagger, Pistol/Pistol. And between those you can choose to go a burstier crit or power build, or you can go a condition damage DoT build. Then you have to choose your 3 utility skills based on what your weapon set is. This will majorly effect your gameplay and effectiveness. Then you choose your elite skill the 4th skill. This will change based on your weapon set and gameplay.

So aside from all those you have traits. Those will be what really effect your gameplay. They're things that will enhance your skill damage, and there's even things that activate on a used skill. For example, "Extra Precision in stealth" or "Enter stealth when stealing" and "Heal while in stealth" those are just a few things. The traits themselves contribute to your main stats (crit damage,power,condition damage, toughness, healing) and then you get attributes the higher level the trait is.

To make things more interesting there's active weapon swap. So you always carry two weapon sets. So your trait build could revolve around being effective with both sets. There's just so much to a build to make it good. And lots of people like to try different things. That's what makes it so fun. It feels like when I play thief, I can switch to a different play style completely whenever I get bored. Kinda like just playing another class all together but with the familiarity of thief.

I had a high level cleric, but i could never play decent with pvp, aiming for dps.

As for GW2. This game bores me, if i compare to Rift, i feel like Guild wars has next to no customization.

For example, Rift, you have 4 races, and in each race you have 4 more classes, and in each class you have 9 sub-classes, and you can pick up to 3. That leaves the player to serious customization, you have a lot to choose from and on top of that you can pick 3 to make your own mix. In GW, you have 4 races, i think like 6 or 8 general classes? But from there, all you really pick are those last 4 abilities, and you can upgrade the stats on weapon skills. Very limited customization.

I havent even looked at GW armor and such, i dont even know if you can get mounts or other things, because thats how fast the game uninterested me.

I dont plan on making this thread into a flame war, but i would like to see everyones opinions.

I will say that GW2 has a better player customization as for appearances. As far as i can tell, you only have the 1 hot bar for skills which i do not like. Why are you only limited to say 10 skills on that one bar. In Rift, you can have i think up to 4-6 bars, each with i believe 10 slots. That is a lot of skills and consumables you can throw around.

In my opinion, GW2 should have never cost the $70. It seems like an okay game, obviously its all about a players preferences. But a game like that to me, will never be worth more then $40.

Quote Originally Posted by shaddy View Post
    Well there's different type of attacks. I'll give my example on thief because that's what I play.

Short bow isn't all that useful IMO but yes you do get the same 5 skills. However changing the last 4 skills makes a huge difference. They completely change to your play style. Short bow is usually a condition damage DoT type build, it's not really viable I only use it to move faster/kite/contribute in big zergs in pvp. In PvE I would use it to AoE things.

But then there's everything else.There's Dagger/Dagger, Dagger/Pistol, Sword/Dagger, Sword/Pistol, Pistol/Dagger, Pistol/Pistol. And between those you can choose to go a burstier crit or power build, or you can go a condition damage DoT build. Then you have to choose your 3 utility skills based on what your weapon set is. This will majorly effect your gameplay and effectiveness. Then you choose your elite skill the 4th skill. This will change based on your weapon set and gameplay.

So aside from all those you have traits. Those will be what really effect your gameplay. They're things that will enhance your skill damage, and there's even things that activate on a used skill. For example, "Extra Precision in stealth" or "Enter stealth when stealing" and "Heal while in stealth" those are just a few things. The traits themselves contribute to your main stats (crit damage,power,condition damage, toughness, healing) and then you get attributes the higher level the trait is.

To make things more interesting there's active weapon swap. So you always carry two weapon sets. So your trait build could revolve around being effective with both sets. There's just so much to a build to make it good. And lots of people like to try different things. That's what makes it so fun. It feels like when I play thief, I can switch to a different play style completely whenever I get bored. Kinda like just playing another class all together but with the familiarity of thief.
    I've always wondered, and asked unsuccessfully in game if it was stupid for rangers to NOT use a bow for a weapon?

And the only thing I'm still not getting is the last 4 moves are all debuffs and stuff like that, from what I can tell. I can't sit and say I've messed with Guild Wars as much as I have with other games, so there's a good chance I'm simply wrong.

And what do you mean when you say short bow is AoE? I played maybe a week ago, and I'm 100% sure all my moves were single target. The only AoE bow move I even know about is that rain of arrow move with the longbow.

Also, I forget, can I reset all my skills/traits if I messed up? I'm sure I will definitely play Guild Wars 2 again in the future, I just can't devote my time to an MMO for more than a month or two at most before wanting to play something else, but I always do come back if the game is good.

Since Guild Wars has no Healer class, my secondary was usually DoT damage, what would you recommend for that? If you can link me to a guide that would work too.

The ****ing IRS took all my tax returns for a student loan from my last semester that I forgot I even had, so I will not be getting a PS4 and Xbox One anytime soon so I need more PC games to keep me active.
    Last edited by Adam Dawn; 02-22-2014 at 09:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast