Arizona Law Makers Approve Anti-Gay Bill

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 319

Quote Originally Posted by Aktillum View Post
    I feel like you're bordering on the argument of "if you hate bigotry, you're no better than the bigots". Religion has the first amendment to spew all the hate they want, they do not need State-sanctioned discrimination to go with it.
    I haven't said a word about hate or bigotry, but it seems like that is what you are focusing on.
    "Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it."
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis

Ride emí Yoshi Reputation: 30

Quote Originally Posted by Kashis View Post
    I haven't said a word about hate or bigotry, but it seems like that is what you are focusing on.
    Your posts seemed to imply that we should tolerate legal discrimination if it comes from religion because it's their right to practice how they see fit.

Currently Playing: Achaea

Quote Originally Posted by Aktillum View Post
    Your posts seemed to imply that we should tolerate legal discrimination if it comes from religion because it's their right to practice how they see fit.
    Is that what I said? Still focusing on only the discrimination issue I see.

Okay.

Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 69

Still focusing on only the discrimination issue I see.
    At least we agree there is a discrimination issue.

I personally support the 1st amendment.
    I also support the 2nd amendment. The Right to Bear Arms.

However, you can't shoot someone just because you have a gun(yet lol.)
    True, You can use it to protect yourself and your family. If you are in danger.

Sure, the right wing, fear goggle wearing portion of the country may say that they think they are protecting their way of life. Their beliefs. Their religion.

However, I have NEVER heard someone making those claims actually have a point. Other than "it's wrong!"
    Pure discrimination. Hate.

Someone being LGBT, an unwed mother, or an atheist isn't going to have any effect on anyone other than the person who was born to it or made that life choice.

They would see an infinitely smaller impact if they could learn a little about tolerance. Maybe acceptance... someday.

Then again, the Bible doesn't say anything about people taking divine judgement into ther on hands.
    Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you.
    Matthew 7:1
    And the Pope would certainly not have agreed with it even if it did.

If those were true... it...
    It would almost seem like people aren't doing this on an actual religious standpoint but are just using religion as a means to justify their own bigotry.
    Last edited by FarmerM; 02-24-2014 at 09:41 AM.

The Devil's Advocate. Reputation: 354

Meanwhile, in the comparative utopia of civil liberty that is the UK...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13096519
    On nights like tonight when no one's around, I turn off the lights, and I float off the ground.

And I smile like I used to when you were around.

Eternal Cowboy Reputation: 594
    Jacksonville Jaguars: 2018 Superbowl Champs

I dunno, I just think both options suck. Yeah, being able to refuse service to gay people could lead down a slippery slope, but so could heavy government regulations on private businesses. Both have crazy extremes that probably won't happen, but might. Jim Crow vs. Fascism.

I just think if a business refuses to serve gay people, in the United States in the 21st century, that business probably won't do too well. I think it's better for it to fail naturally than for the government to step in.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSkald View Post
    I just think if a business refuses to serve gay people, in the United States in the 21st century, that business probably won't do too well. I think it's better for it to fail naturally than for the government to step in.
    Thing is, Chick Fil A is doing alright for now (pretty sure they even had an increase in sales) but down the road is a different story. Supporting that cause is a lot harder than boycotting it, which may lead to a decrease down the road.

But to think that a major corporation is going to risk profits by letting one of its' CEOs start running off at the mouth about their personal problems against a group of folks, let alone the entire company declare it's problem with a specific group of people, especially when there are benefits to working with MWOBs, is outright stupid and highly unlikely.

It's not the people who always say what's on their mind you have to worry about, it's the ones that don't.

Detective Kirby Reputation: 16

You Americans and your constitution, its just a piece of goddamn paper!

Anyway, may any business that enforces this burn down. This is really a disgusting reactionary bill. GAWD BLESS MURICA
    Last edited by Tyrias; 02-25-2014 at 11:17 PM.

Xenonight2's Zealot Reputation: 204

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    Then again, the Bible doesn't say anything about people taking divine judgement into ther on hands.
    Deuteronomy 17
    If a man or woman living among you in one of the towns the Lord gives you is found doing evil in the eyes of the Lord your God in violation of his covenant,

and contrary to my command has worshiped other gods, bowing down to them or to the sun or the moon or the stars in the sky,

and this has been brought to your attention, then you must investigate it thoroughly. If it is true and it has been proved that this detestable thing has been done in Israel

take the man or woman who has done this evil deed to your city gate and stone that person to death.

On the testimony of two or three witnesses a person is to be put to death, but no one is to be put to death on the testimony of only one witness.

The hands of the witnesses must be the first in putting that person to death, and then the hands of all the people. You must purge the evil from among you.

That was off of the top of my head about taking judgment into their own hands, I'm sure if I spent a second or two on google I could find you other examples (I recall one of god saying to kill someone for picking up sticks on the sabbath).
    Quote Originally Posted by xBlazex View Post
    sorry for you have the evil heart in the universe. your type are just destroy are world
    The battle of science vs. religion ended when churches started putting lightning rods on their steeples.

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 69

Luckily this isn't Israel. whew...
    There may be a reason that the United States isn't governed by religion.

Nice quote though, it makes me a little sick.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast