Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: What are the best open pvp MMOs right now?

  1. #1
    Pikachu's Flea Collar Reputation: 10
    Nektaris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    53
    Rep Power
    3

    Default What are the best open pvp MMOs right now?

    Hi everyone,

    I don't know what to play. I really love PvP but can't find a good MMO heavily based on PvP.
    Could you tell me a good one? I don't care if it's P2P or P2W.


  2. #2
    `Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 106
    queenvoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,475
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    hi nektaris..

    there are actually quite a few mmos with strong pvp components. my main knowledge is with non-pay to win free-to-play RvR open PvP mmos with faction based systems like DAOC. so i will begin with these first :-

    1) DAOC Uthgard or Genesis - this is a freeshard for DAOC.
    2) Champions of Regnum: f2p mmo very popular (No.1 indie mmo in Argentia and probably spanish speaking world, quite a big following in the english world too).
    3) Aion: has faction based pvp, not bad. But you have endless grind for equipment in pvp.
    4) Aika Online: also based on DAOC, with somewhat more modern gfx than Regnum.
    5) Shadowbane: old mmo now in private community reboot (it closes down to outside players regularly). excellent pvp mmo.
    All of the above are point and click styled combat mmos. I do not believe there are any action mmos in the f2p RvR open pvp space.

    Ok now I will briefly list some of the pvp mmos which are not faction based. Most mmos have some sort of flag-based open pvp. By this i mean u can turn on a flag to participate in pvp and have some sort of "mark" against ur character for killing unflagged players.
    1) Lineage 2 - possible the best pvp mmo in this entire genre
    2) About 50% of all other mmos have some sort of flag pvp.

    Now I'm going to list some RvR/pvp mmos which are pay to win. Asian mmos tend to be pay to win: Zero Online, RF Online, Allods f2p version, Battle of the Immortals etc etc (edit: include Eve online as pay to win) (edit: Allods and Eve are not asian, but ah well they r pay to win, you get the idea...)

    I suggest, unless you have a lot of money to spend and like paying to win, you look for a non-pay to win mmo.
    Last edited by queenvoo; 02-24-2014 at 12:16 PM.
    Be warned - I am a major player of Regnum Online the mmo. I've been playing it for about 2 years and rarely go without logging in at least once a day. You can also look at good alternatives to Regnum such ase Aion online and Aika Online.

    http://i.imgur.com/OR8cPqY.gif
    http://i.minus.com/iuujAXwnufVSO.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibvD03fDh31lre.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibwoHNBFwlmuZF.gif
    http://i.minus.com/ibcdlNG4kU0IyS.gif

  3. #3
    やめてください! Reputation: 296
    Orpheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    9,708
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Dekaron, which is really, really old, used to be pretty open PvP heavy, not sure about its current state.

  4. #4
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 269
    Phenoca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Demacia
    Posts
    6,292
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nektaris View Post
    Hi everyone,

    I don't know what to play. I really love PvP but can't find a good MMO heavily based on PvP.
    Could you tell me a good one? I don't care if it's P2P or P2W.

    Mortal Online, EVE Online, and TheRepopulation all have openworld PvP. I kinda like EVE.

  5. #5
    Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    These are all pretty good MMO's but have you guys tried APB Reloaded yet? Its MMO with a GTA flavour to it which I personally enjoy alot.

    Basically the setting is in a city called San Paro where two groups take to the streets the Criminals whose name speaks for themselves but also fight in the name of freedom. And their nemesis the Enforcers, basically legalized vigilantes who want to restore order. Its a free to download and to play game, ofcourse with limited upgrades, level-ups etc. You will have to buy the DLC full with upgrades, which I also think is well worth it once you get a hang of the game. Here a link to one of the DLC's.

    http://www.iceberg-games.com/index.p...product_id=354

    Cheers and hope to see you on the streets

  6. #6
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 281
    Cy-Kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Gobotron
    Posts
    5,566
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by queenvoo View Post
    Asian mmos tend to be pay to win: Allods f2p version, (edit: include Eve online as pay to win)
    You do know these two are not Asian?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mime Taxidermy View Post
    I don't think that Internet Explorer can display CSS, only HTML.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Looks like fun to me, when the creatures die and freeze then burst into a bunch of smaller cubes makes me squeal like a small girl.

  7. #7
    Orc's Breathmint Reputation: 14

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    112
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    the most fun i've had in pvp is by far Lineage 2

  8. #8
    HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204
    FarmerM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,263
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    APB? Customization is fun but actual game play... not so much.
    It has maybe the worst combat of all the shooters on the market.
    Matchmaking is horrible.
    Hackers are rampant.
    The developers do not add new content. The only things added are cash shop(p2w) items and items to encourage you to continue grinding the same old content.

    Try it if you want but spending money isn't advised.

  9. #9
    SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 44
    couponfork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,086
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by queenvoo View Post
    hi nektaris..

    there are actually quite a few mmos with strong pvp components. my main knowledge is with non-pay to win free-to-play RvR open PvP mmos with faction based systems like DAOC. so i will begin with these first :-

    1) DAOC Uthgard or Genesis - this is a freeshard for DAOC.
    2) Champions of Regnum: f2p mmo very popular (No.1 indie mmo in Argentia and probably spanish speaking world, quite a big following in the english world too).
    3) Aion: has faction based pvp, not bad. But you have endless grind for equipment in pvp.
    4) Aika Online: also based on DAOC, with somewhat more modern gfx than Regnum.
    5) Shadowbane: old mmo now in private community reboot (it closes down to outside players regularly). excellent pvp mmo.
    All of the above are point and click styled combat mmos. I do not believe there are any action mmos in the f2p RvR open pvp space.

    Ok now I will briefly list some of the pvp mmos which are not faction based. Most mmos have some sort of flag-based open pvp. By this i mean u can turn on a flag to participate in pvp and have some sort of "mark" against ur character for killing unflagged players.
    1) Lineage 2 - possible the best pvp mmo in this entire genre
    2) About 50% of all other mmos have some sort of flag pvp.

    Now I'm going to list some RvR/pvp mmos which are pay to win. Asian mmos tend to be pay to win: Zero Online, RF Online, Allods f2p version, Battle of the Immortals etc etc (edit: include Eve online as pay to win) (edit: Allods and Eve are not asian, but ah well they r pay to win, you get the idea...)

    I suggest, unless you have a lot of money to spend and like paying to win, you look for a non-pay to win mmo.
    Coming back to Regnum just for the Lamai race. queenvoo which server you play?
    Play Wakfu on the Remington server with us.


  10. #10
    `Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 106
    queenvoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,475
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by couponfork View Post
    Coming back to Regnum just for the Lamai race. queenvoo which server you play?
    hi couponfork -- i play on Haven server.
    unless you are in a spanish speaking country, i think you can register here
    http://championsofregnum.gamesamba.com/landing.html
    yup lamai race can be fun :} the "realm tasks" should now give everyone a 100% xp boost also.
    Be warned - I am a major player of Regnum Online the mmo. I've been playing it for about 2 years and rarely go without logging in at least once a day. You can also look at good alternatives to Regnum such ase Aion online and Aika Online.

    http://i.imgur.com/OR8cPqY.gif
    http://i.minus.com/iuujAXwnufVSO.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibvD03fDh31lre.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibwoHNBFwlmuZF.gif
    http://i.minus.com/ibcdlNG4kU0IyS.gif

  11. #11
    SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 44
    couponfork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,086
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by queenvoo View Post
    hi couponfork -- i play on Haven server.
    unless you are in a spanish speaking country, i think you can register here
    http://championsofregnum.gamesamba.com/landing.html
    yup lamai race can be fun :} the "realm tasks" should now give everyone a 100% xp boost also.
    Alrighty, I've registered and got the game installed, after creating a character I'm on the loading screen with it downloading stuff? Which nation are you also? I'll probably go with that one.
    Play Wakfu on the Remington server with us.


  12. #12
    Forum PvPer Reputation: 610

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    11,357
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    archeage if you can deal with russians.

  13. #13
    Pikachu's Flea Collar Reputation: 10
    Nektaris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    53
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Thanks queenvo, I'm gonna try Champions of Regnum asap.
    What about action mmos or full loot mmos?

  14. #14
    `Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 106
    queenvoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,475
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by couponfork View Post
    Alrighty, I've registered and got the game installed, after creating a character I'm on the loading screen with it downloading stuff? Which nation are you also? I'll probably go with that one.
    im in Alsius.. you've played Regnum before so I guess you know what to expect. as usual, i would suggest ticking the box "download all resources before starting" in the launcher options menu, and then let the game update overnight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nektaris View Post
    Thanks queenvo, I'm gonna try Champions of Regnum asap.
    What about action mmos or full loot mmos?
    sure, np nektaris. Regnum's gfx are not as highly detailed as say Rift but it is a very clean crisp 3d environment. Feel free to ask any questions as sometimes the interface takes some getting used to (took me 2 weeks tweaking keyboard settings etc before I was fully comfortable).

    hm ok action mmos. as mentioned i dont think there are any f2p ones on the same model as daoc but i can still recommend some good ones :-

    1) Kritika (asia only?), Swordsman Online, Age of Wushu, Blade & Soul - im quite sure these haave pvp. These are some of the most modern cutting edge action mmos out there. None of them are full loot tho. Note that Age of Wuhsu probably has the most advanced Asian style martial arts crafting + social setting.

    2) Monster Hunter (Asia only I think), Raiderz, Vindictus, C9: All of these are spectacular action combat mmos. Monster Hunter in particular has very high popularity of its own in Asia. While they may have pvp, Im not sure if they are full loot. The last three are f2p.

    3) Tera, Rift - these are the 2 best f2p western action mmos. However, since they are not pvp focussed, their pvp is widely considered to be pretty yuck (just google "how good is rift pvp" etc).

    ok full loot mmos :-

    Darkfall 2, Mortal Online and I think... Wurm Online -- Darkfall 2 isn't f2p but I think Mortal and Wurm are f2p. All 3 are very capable mmos. Mortal and Wurm are more sandboxxy than Darkfall in that I think at least Wurm lets you actually build your own little village+mine etc. Darkfall is brutally cutthroat, possibly the most cutthroat of all mmos. If you are in Asia, Darkfall 2 just started a massively popular Asian version where Japanese and Korean players are having probably the most massive racial war in mmo history right now.

    if i can think of more action/full loot mmos ill try to post them later . the other suggestions in this thread are also good.
    Be warned - I am a major player of Regnum Online the mmo. I've been playing it for about 2 years and rarely go without logging in at least once a day. You can also look at good alternatives to Regnum such ase Aion online and Aika Online.

    http://i.imgur.com/OR8cPqY.gif
    http://i.minus.com/iuujAXwnufVSO.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibvD03fDh31lre.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibwoHNBFwlmuZF.gif
    http://i.minus.com/ibcdlNG4kU0IyS.gif

  15. #15
    Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 5

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Well When I posted I was at my computer.
    Posts
    1,145
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Dakrfall is the only true purely pvp focused game I have played in the last several years thats worth your time.

  16. #16
    Detective Kirby Reputation: 10
    amalager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    154
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Well, here's what I've been playing at the moment:

    •Dragon Nest: Fast-paced 1 on 1 PVP is awesome as long as I don't lag.
    •Eclipse War: Can transform into a monster that you've defeated and use them in PVP.--CBT period, would like to see it myself
    •Ragnarok: The good-ol-days of pawning other players in PVP rooms

  17. #17
    ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 14
    Mario87's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,399
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    eclipse war looks really nice... but man YNK!!

    You guys remember Rohan and how they SOLD Overpowered weapons for hundreds of USD? Not mats, not recipes, but the actual whole weapon, which had, iirc, double the stats of the best current endgame weapon...
    Currently playing :Grand Fantasia(yet again...)

    IGN: Neclord

  18. #18
    Link's Dirty Sock Reputation: 10

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    40
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    altis life

  19. #19
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 269
    Phenoca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Demacia
    Posts
    6,292
    Rep Power
    19

    Default


  20. #20
    Pikachu's Flea Collar Reputation: 10
    Nektaris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    53
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Most of the mmos mentioned in this thread have a tab target combat system, which isn't so great to me..

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQPVoVaPOQU

  21. #21
    Link's Dirty Sock Reputation: 10

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    40
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    altis life is a arma 3 mod , the best GTAlike MMO u can get, open world sandbox game.
    @Phenoca it wasnt me the sound brings back good old flash gordon memories !

  22. #22
    Sonic’s Milkshake Reputation: 13
    Adam Dawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    323
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Rift is the best MMO, both F2P and P2P on the market right now, IMO.

    It has open world PvP that's pretty cool, because you are actually able to talk to the opposite faction. So there are times where I'll fight a Guardian (I consider them the "Alliance" of this game) and then sit and chat with them for 10 minutes. It also allows you to rage at lvl 60s who are really bad at the game, and unable to kill other 60s so they gank lowbies.

    It's really fun, there are also Battlegrounds that they call Warfronts but I've never done those before, I've never been big on organized PvP.

    There's also DayZ the standalone version, but it's a bug fest piece of crap right now with the absolute worst combat I've ever seen in any game, ever. But again, it's EARLY alpha, so this is to be expected. I just really hope they do plan on fixing the combat, because they constantly mention things not working, or not having all the features, but the combat isn't "broken" or missing any "features" so i don't know that they plan to change it.

    Edit: You don't have to use tab to target, you can use the F keys, or the mouse.

    Also I don't know what peoples problem is with PvP in Rift. If you're not a carebear or a crybaby you'll do fine. The only thing I can see people complaining about is that Clerics are OP. I play a cleric and I win 99% of my duels and encounters. but when I encounter someone that actually KNOWS HOW TO PLAY THEIR CLASS, those are the people that beat me, or come close to beating me. It's definitely skill based
    Last edited by Adam Dawn; 02-25-2014 at 09:43 PM.
    Final Fantasy 14: Level 50 (ilvl 96) WHM, Level 50 (ilvl 90) BLM, Level 50 SCH, Level 50 SMN.
    Guild Wars 2: (Ehmry Bay) 64 Ranger.
    Diablo 3: 70 Wizard, 60 Demon Hunter, 60 Witch Doctor, 65 Paragons.
    Wildstar: 37 Spell Slinger DPS.
    ArcheAge: 50 Gypsy.
    Trove: On and off. 20 Candy Barb. 20 Neon Ninja. Have all classes.

  23. #23
    Detective Kirby Reputation: 10
    amalager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    154
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario87 View Post
    eclipse war looks really nice... but man YNK!!

    You guys remember Rohan and how they SOLD Overpowered weapons for hundreds of USD? Not mats, not recipes, but the actual whole weapon, which had, iirc, double the stats of the best current endgame weapon...
    Lol, Overpowered. Feel The power of.......Money! Hahahahah. Yeah, I missed the days where I have to grind to get stuff like good weapons and all instead of just buying them from the marketplace. Anyways, I'm standing-by until the Eclipse War servers open so I can try the game first hand.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •