Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter MMORPG

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Smile Harry Potter MMORPG

Ok, so rumor has it (yes, again) there's Harry Potter MMORPG in creation with agreement from Warner Bros - at least up to beta. You can read more on main site, so I wont describe it all.
    Anyway at first I - like many others - thought it was fake - especially because it was on enjin platform. But right now contributing to the site is free and its owners showed us some early models, gave prizes for taking part in contests (like original wands sent to your home), an interview, their real names and well... they pay for "advanced" site.
    So after all of this I started to think that it may be real project. They also chosen their alpha testers, and promised us a first short gameplay soon. Also -the site is up around 3 months and despite some people trying to "get it to WB attention" it was not shut down.

They claim that WB is choosing to not advertise this project for now - because there were already failed HP MMO tries and they want to be sure it can be succesfull before they add their name to it - or something along these lines. They also claim they're in close contact with WB regarding this project and every decision about it.

If anyone didnt see:
    http://theonlineworldofharrypotter.com/
    Interview can be found in "Behind the magic". In "The Story of HPO" and "About" you can find some informations about company and classes/places/events that are planned to be placed in game.

Anyway - what do you think? The game is good idea/bad idea?
    Honestly I have waited for HP MMO for years (just as some of my friends) and even though Im 20+ now Ill still gladly play it - especially after they said they won't focus the game around children, but rather on older audience (even though a child will be able to play and enjoy).
    But I know many of people won't even bother with the game as it is planned to be P2P (and we all know people don't like this model much - I dont really understand why though. P2P = lower probability of P2W and less trolls).
    Are you exited/neutral/don't care? Do you think it may be a succes or not? Do you think it's real ?
    Last edited by Kayla93; 02-25-2014 at 10:34 PM.

Heads or Tails Reputation: 30

Truthfully I don't think a Harry Potter MMO would have any longevity. It'd really need to be marketed towards kids. I know you said that you're in your 20s and would play it but I think the majority of the college age demographic would not play this with any level of seriousness.

Sun? What Sun? Reputation: 57

Quote Originally Posted by Aktillum View Post
    Truthfully I don't think a Harry Potter MMO would have any longevity. It'd really need to be marketed towards kids. I know you said that you're in your 20s and would play it but I think the majority of the college age demographic would not play this with any level of seriousness.
    Than you a foo >:I

Sandman's Slave Reputation: 80

If they make MMOs for younger audience, it will be boring for MMO veterans. And vice versa. Most Harry Potter games thus far are dumb and stupid.
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you. My 3D Character Artist Folio

Truth is in my opinion most fans are not children anymore because they grew up . Also - most children won't pay for the game, so I guess that;s why most MMOs are not done towards children - and thank producers for that - there are enough trolls among adult ones .
    And I agree - from all HP games there was like 1-2 that were not really bad. That's why I am so counting towards MMO to make up for that experience.

Most users of the site is currently 20 + . A lot of my 20+ friends want to playwith all seriousness, but I agree - some my friends who are MMO players and are like 40+ don't really take it seriously. I guess you have to be HP fan to play - not just MMO fan.

HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204

Wizard101 may have this market locked down.
    If Harry Potter MMO was going to succeed it would have been released before the 3rd movie.
    Now no one cares.

But Wizard101 is for children O.o I know no 16+ years old who play it for longer that 1 month . I honrstly lasted like a 3 days.
    Though true is they should have thought about making this MMO way sooner to make it bigger.
    But - considering there's new HP movie coming - maybe they count it will add the time of HP "fame" so people can get into game.

Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 24

You guys are vastly underestimating the Harry Potter fan base. Pottermore registered a million beta users in a week. Those million users had to complete a challenge (or get help from a friend), so it wasn't as easy as hitting a button to get in. Also, those million users were capped. They could have gotten far more. The fan base for Harry Potter hasn't even remotely gone away.

Not getting my hopes up for this game though.

Quote Originally Posted by arapanasati View Post
    Not getting my hopes up for this game though.
    Why?
    In my case I think Ill follow the proccess, make my suggestions and see what happens and with what they come up with.
    Anyway - about pottermore - I think that's why people are reluctant about this project. So many were dissapointed pottermore is not MMO (myself included) that they don't want to hope just to be dragged down again :P.

I also think Potter fanbase is big enough for a game like that - especially with a new movie coming out.
    BUT - Star Wars also had pretty big fanbase and their game did average - maybe that's because most SW fans are old enough to not be willing to play MMOs. Or maybe because we have so many MMO's that people don't want to start playing new ones. And let's be honest - the game was not bad, but also nothing really worth attention.

Sandman's Slave Reputation: 245

The Harry Potter fanbase is pretty big. This could be a good idea. Or it could be a huge flop.. Either way idc since I never really cared for HP
    Relax and enjoy life

HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204

Harry Potter is pretty good and the fan base is large but wands are lame.

By that I mean I don't see the content being transferred to MMO form and being very interesting.

I think they said they are not going to set this in HP time - before or soon after when they were be able to create their own story in knows to us world - when we can revisit history of what happened etc. This way it may be interesting. Because truth is following the same adventures would be boring.
    Also - they said there will be places we know , but with that new places as well.

Oh come on Wands are cool - at least for HP fans - I can see why for some they're not. For me guns are lame - I like wands, staffs, sceptres, axes etc. in games, but guns seems like an easy button to me :P.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayla93 View Post
    Why?
    In my case I think Ill follow the proccess, make my suggestions and see what happens and with what they come up with.
    Anyway - about pottermore - I think that's why people are reluctant about this project. So many were dissapointed pottermore is not MMO (myself included) that they don't want to hope just to be dragged down again :P.

I also think Potter fanbase is big enough for a game like that - especially with a new movie coming out.
    BUT - Star Wars also had pretty big fanbase and their game did average - maybe that's because most SW fans are old enough to not be willing to play MMOs. Or maybe because we have so many MMO's that people don't want to start playing new ones. And let's be honest - the game was not bad, but also nothing really worth attention.
    A good HP MMO is too good to be true. I don't want to get my hopes up for something that I doubt will be done well (or done at all for that matter). Also, the website seems a bit iffy. I can't picture a HP MMO happening that wasn't AAA budget and that website certainly doesn't look AAA.

Game List Master Reputation: 239

I could see it being big if the combat was decent

Quote Originally Posted by arapanasati View Post
    A good HP MMO is too good to be true. I don't want to get my hopes up for something that I doubt will be done well (or done at all for that matter). Also, the website seems a bit iffy. I can't picture a HP MMO happening that wasn't AAA budget and that website certainly doesn't look AAA.
    Thats what I thought too. But it would be idiotic for them to spend that amount of money (prizes like wands that are like 50$ each, paying for the site, doing models etc) - to troll people. I mean who would do that .
    But after listening to intreview I have hope - because a good HP MMO is my dream from forever .

Quote Originally Posted by chaoscauser View Post
    I could see it being big if the combat was decent
    They answered my question about combat i the interview - thats what I pay attention too. They said they want to go away from "point-click-wait" combat (hallelujah! I hate this combat, I love active combat) but also said it won't be a simple active combat, because there is so many spells that would be impossible. They described a resolution for this - so if you're interested watch the interview on their site . But for me it sounds good for now. Have to see it in action though.

After reading up a bit more I'm even less optimistic. I guess they have a beta production licence from WB, which means they can use HP likenesses to create a beta version of the game. Once the beta version is completed, WB will be able to sign off on it or refuse it. This means they have to create a genuinely good game with what I would guess is an almost non-existent budget. I'm not saying it's impossible, but without some help and faith from WB(don't strike me as risk takers?), I don't see it happening. I sincerely hope I'm proven wrong.

I think they have pretty ok budget - they dont seem to try to earn/save money too hard from what I've seen. And they would if they were low on money.
    I hope they will succeed though .

Im also excited it will be in CryEgine - I like those detailed worlds .

I still dont understand why WB didnt blow loads of money into a HP MMO years ago - all other HP things made them earn a lot o money - so its kinda weird.

Forum PvPer Reputation: 383

Yeah a harry potter mmo would have worked alot better when it was popular.
    i'd honestly rather play an mmo pre He-who-must-not-be-named, and hang out with James and Sirius.

Link's Dirty Sock Reputation: 10

I don't know about harry potter-I mean I've watched and I loved the movies but only the 1st and 2nd was worth it and the rest just went down hill ANYWAYS! I'm not actually fond of using harry potter as a theme but if it was a mmo that's based on schools of wizardy/sorcery that would be sweet! Wands? Grimoires? Staff? Rods? Talisman? Amulets? Great stuff. It should be action rpg just like tera-non target. That way we can parry or dodge spells and accuracy will be the key to being able to land the spells. There should be 2-6 different schools of magic and obviously each one have their own set of UNIQUE spells. Add in some good plots and storylines and you got yourself a game in development.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 269

Anything with such expensive intellectual property is going to be extremely cliche and money-oriented. Then again, I've never touched any of Harry Potter RPGs for console - are they any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Phenoca View Post
    Anything with such expensive intellectual property is going to be extremely cliche and money-oriented. Then again, I've never touched any of Harry Potter RPGs for console - are they any good?
    Not really, I played an HP game on the original Xbox and found it pretty cheesy, maybe like a mix between Spyro-type platformer and with the linear levels of Fable.

Rock Man Reputation: 10

I loved harry potter but I cant really see this becoming huge. There were not many spells for combat so I cant see that being a huge part of it. Sure, it's not like there are 2 but I mean if everyone has the same access to the spells for combat or field then it would not feel very different among other players. Plus I can see this being somewhat cramped as the school was the main part of the franchise and there were not many other place in the series.
    Nobody is born in this world to be alone! -Jaguar D. Saul

F. Grappler - Lv.23 - Norial --- M. Fighter - Lv.1 - MrMonocle
    F. Gunner - Lv.5 - Ludena --- M. Gunner - Lv.1 - YouWhatMate
    F. Mage - Lv.3 - Inoriana --- M. Mage - Lv.1 - CielPhantom
    Slayer - Lv.5 - Hirashi --- Dark Knight - Lv.2 - Halogens
    Priest - Lv.5 - Janosa --- Thief - Lv.2 - Hali
    Creator - Lv.3 - Magnets

Yeah I really don't see combat being a big thing in this game. I'd bet money that this is going to be a social based game like Habbo Hotel, with group activities like quidditch.

I said somewhere before - they said that there is so many spells that its impossible to make it simple active-combat because they would never fit into bar. Also - there are going to be classes so I guess they will have a little different spells

I HOPE that combat will be important - but can't say Id be much suprised if they did it like you said - more social based - wouldn't be that happy then. I mean sure - Id go explore the world just because its Potter, but then what. Would probably be bored and left. So I hope it's not the case - and what they said in interview doesnt make it seem as they are planning social based game. But we shall see.

PC/PS games were not really good. I only played PC and max 2 of them were ok. Others were directed for little children or had been just bad. I think I liked 2 and 3. 5 and 6 were not horrible but not too good. 1 is really old and slow. And 4 and both 7 are such a big failure.

Link's Dirty Sock Reputation: 10

The only way to save this game or to prevent an absolute failure is to hand the game over to the koreans developers LOL

Sorry .....western developers suck at making mmos....it's the truth.