Harry Potter MMORPG

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Smile Harry Potter MMORPG

Ok, so rumor has it (yes, again) there's Harry Potter MMORPG in creation with agreement from Warner Bros - at least up to beta. You can read more on main site, so I wont describe it all.
    Anyway at first I - like many others - thought it was fake - especially because it was on enjin platform. But right now contributing to the site is free and its owners showed us some early models, gave prizes for taking part in contests (like original wands sent to your home), an interview, their real names and well... they pay for "advanced" site.
    So after all of this I started to think that it may be real project. They also chosen their alpha testers, and promised us a first short gameplay soon. Also -the site is up around 3 months and despite some people trying to "get it to WB attention" it was not shut down.

They claim that WB is choosing to not advertise this project for now - because there were already failed HP MMO tries and they want to be sure it can be succesfull before they add their name to it - or something along these lines. They also claim they're in close contact with WB regarding this project and every decision about it.

If anyone didnt see:
    http://theonlineworldofharrypotter.com/
    Interview can be found in "Behind the magic". In "The Story of HPO" and "About" you can find some informations about company and classes/places/events that are planned to be placed in game.

Anyway - what do you think? The game is good idea/bad idea?
    Honestly I have waited for HP MMO for years (just as some of my friends) and even though Im 20+ now Ill still gladly play it - especially after they said they won't focus the game around children, but rather on older audience (even though a child will be able to play and enjoy).
    But I know many of people won't even bother with the game as it is planned to be P2P (and we all know people don't like this model much - I dont really understand why though. P2P = lower probability of P2W and less trolls).
    Are you exited/neutral/don't care? Do you think it may be a succes or not? Do you think it's real ?
    Last edited by Kayla93; 02-25-2014 at 09:34 PM.

Ape for Diddy Reputation: 30

Truthfully I don't think a Harry Potter MMO would have any longevity. It'd really need to be marketed towards kids. I know you said that you're in your 20s and would play it but I think the majority of the college age demographic would not play this with any level of seriousness.

Currently Playing: Achaea

Diddy Kong's Boxers Reputation: 41

Quote Originally Posted by Aktillum View Post
    Truthfully I don't think a Harry Potter MMO would have any longevity. It'd really need to be marketed towards kids. I know you said that you're in your 20s and would play it but I think the majority of the college age demographic would not play this with any level of seriousness.
    Than you a foo >:I

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 80

If they make MMOs for younger audience, it will be boring for MMO veterans. And vice versa. Most Harry Potter games thus far are dumb and stupid.
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you.
    Pyr3D.com - My Folio
    ---

Truth is in my opinion most fans are not children anymore because they grew up . Also - most children won't pay for the game, so I guess that;s why most MMOs are not done towards children - and thank producers for that - there are enough trolls among adult ones .
    And I agree - from all HP games there was like 1-2 that were not really bad. That's why I am so counting towards MMO to make up for that experience.

Most users of the site is currently 20 + . A lot of my 20+ friends want to playwith all seriousness, but I agree - some my friends who are MMO players and are like 40+ don't really take it seriously. I guess you have to be HP fan to play - not just MMO fan.

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 88

Wizard101 may have this market locked down.
    If Harry Potter MMO was going to succeed it would have been released before the 3rd movie.
    Now no one cares.

But Wizard101 is for children O.o I know no 16+ years old who play it for longer that 1 month . I honrstly lasted like a 3 days.
    Though true is they should have thought about making this MMO way sooner to make it bigger.
    But - considering there's new HP movie coming - maybe they count it will add the time of HP "fame" so people can get into game.

Wand of !!!!!!11!!! Power Reputation: 8

You guys are vastly underestimating the Harry Potter fan base. Pottermore registered a million beta users in a week. Those million users had to complete a challenge (or get help from a friend), so it wasn't as easy as hitting a button to get in. Also, those million users were capped. They could have gotten far more. The fan base for Harry Potter hasn't even remotely gone away.

Not getting my hopes up for this game though.

Quote Originally Posted by arapanasati View Post
    Not getting my hopes up for this game though.
    Why?
    In my case I think Ill follow the proccess, make my suggestions and see what happens and with what they come up with.
    Anyway - about pottermore - I think that's why people are reluctant about this project. So many were dissapointed pottermore is not MMO (myself included) that they don't want to hope just to be dragged down again :P.

I also think Potter fanbase is big enough for a game like that - especially with a new movie coming out.
    BUT - Star Wars also had pretty big fanbase and their game did average - maybe that's because most SW fans are old enough to not be willing to play MMOs. Or maybe because we have so many MMO's that people don't want to start playing new ones. And let's be honest - the game was not bad, but also nothing really worth attention.

Sandman's Slave Reputation: 245

The Harry Potter fanbase is pretty big. This could be a good idea. Or it could be a huge flop.. Either way idc since I never really cared for HP
    Relax and enjoy life

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast