Harry Potter MMORPG

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 88

Harry Potter is pretty good and the fan base is large but wands are lame.

By that I mean I don't see the content being transferred to MMO form and being very interesting.

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

I think they said they are not going to set this in HP time - before or soon after when they were be able to create their own story in knows to us world - when we can revisit history of what happened etc. This way it may be interesting. Because truth is following the same adventures would be boring.
    Also - they said there will be places we know , but with that new places as well.

Oh come on Wands are cool - at least for HP fans - I can see why for some they're not. For me guns are lame - I like wands, staffs, sceptres, axes etc. in games, but guns seems like an easy button to me :P.

Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 8

Quote Originally Posted by Kayla93 View Post
    Why?
    In my case I think Ill follow the proccess, make my suggestions and see what happens and with what they come up with.
    Anyway - about pottermore - I think that's why people are reluctant about this project. So many were dissapointed pottermore is not MMO (myself included) that they don't want to hope just to be dragged down again :P.

I also think Potter fanbase is big enough for a game like that - especially with a new movie coming out.
    BUT - Star Wars also had pretty big fanbase and their game did average - maybe that's because most SW fans are old enough to not be willing to play MMOs. Or maybe because we have so many MMO's that people don't want to start playing new ones. And let's be honest - the game was not bad, but also nothing really worth attention.
    A good HP MMO is too good to be true. I don't want to get my hopes up for something that I doubt will be done well (or done at all for that matter). Also, the website seems a bit iffy. I can't picture a HP MMO happening that wasn't AAA budget and that website certainly doesn't look AAA.

Game List Master Reputation: 165

I could see it being big if the combat was decent

Quote Originally Posted by arapanasati View Post
    A good HP MMO is too good to be true. I don't want to get my hopes up for something that I doubt will be done well (or done at all for that matter). Also, the website seems a bit iffy. I can't picture a HP MMO happening that wasn't AAA budget and that website certainly doesn't look AAA.
    Thats what I thought too. But it would be idiotic for them to spend that amount of money (prizes like wands that are like 50$ each, paying for the site, doing models etc) - to troll people. I mean who would do that .
    But after listening to intreview I have hope - because a good HP MMO is my dream from forever .

Quote Originally Posted by chaoscauser View Post
    I could see it being big if the combat was decent
    They answered my question about combat i the interview - thats what I pay attention too. They said they want to go away from "point-click-wait" combat (hallelujah! I hate this combat, I love active combat) but also said it won't be a simple active combat, because there is so many spells that would be impossible. They described a resolution for this - so if you're interested watch the interview on their site . But for me it sounds good for now. Have to see it in action though.

Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 8

After reading up a bit more I'm even less optimistic. I guess they have a beta production licence from WB, which means they can use HP likenesses to create a beta version of the game. Once the beta version is completed, WB will be able to sign off on it or refuse it. This means they have to create a genuinely good game with what I would guess is an almost non-existent budget. I'm not saying it's impossible, but without some help and faith from WB(don't strike me as risk takers?), I don't see it happening. I sincerely hope I'm proven wrong.

I think they have pretty ok budget - they dont seem to try to earn/save money too hard from what I've seen. And they would if they were low on money.
    I hope they will succeed though .

Im also excited it will be in CryEgine - I like those detailed worlds .

I still dont understand why WB didnt blow loads of money into a HP MMO years ago - all other HP things made them earn a lot o money - so its kinda weird.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 286

Yeah a harry potter mmo would have worked alot better when it was popular.
    i'd honestly rather play an mmo pre He-who-must-not-be-named, and hang out with James and Sirius.

Link's Dirty Sock Reputation: 10

I don't know about harry potter-I mean I've watched and I loved the movies but only the 1st and 2nd was worth it and the rest just went down hill ANYWAYS! I'm not actually fond of using harry potter as a theme but if it was a mmo that's based on schools of wizardy/sorcery that would be sweet! Wands? Grimoires? Staff? Rods? Talisman? Amulets? Great stuff. It should be action rpg just like tera-non target. That way we can parry or dodge spells and accuracy will be the key to being able to land the spells. There should be 2-6 different schools of magic and obviously each one have their own set of UNIQUE spells. Add in some good plots and storylines and you got yourself a game in development.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

Anything with such expensive intellectual property is going to be extremely cliche and money-oriented. Then again, I've never touched any of Harry Potter RPGs for console - are they any good?
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast