looking for writer to collaborate on unglamorous not-for-profit text adventure

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Pipster's Punk Reputation: 277

Default looking for writer to collaborate on unglamorous not-for-profit text adventure

i have some tech i've been making in c++ that is basically ready to have a text adventure made with it. only thing it still really desperately needs is savegames, but i'll have that in the next few days. what i am not is a writer. i have plenty of neat gameplay ideas, and my technical writing ability is quite good i think, but i have no talent for coming up with stories. so idunno, if you, random person out there, have any ideas for a little game that you've had floating around and want to be used, now is yr chance, i guess. sort of.

here is the tech, what i have right now, if yr curious:

source:

http://pastebin.com/KS9g8DYZ

exe

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p851pg2twj...tle_v_0_02.exe

edit: so, tl;dr what this implies is that you do all of the writing that a player might see in the game, and also design the world of the game.

edit2:ok so features that my program will be able to handle by the end of this coming weekend hopefully are:

- as many rooms as you want, with as many items as you want in them.
    -option to make immovable items
    -containers that can hold other items
    -doors that can be locked or whatever, and can lead to other rooms.
    - people that you can talk with and use items on.
    -people can move from room to room
    -inventory which you put items from the environment into
    -potentially alter anything in the game
    -use items on other items whether in inventory or environment
    -event triggering system (ie. you could set a thing to happen when you walk into a room)
    -save/load game
    -examine items, get description of a room that takes into account the changing state and location of everything in it.
    -trigger stuff happening in other rooms

give me a little bit longer and i'll have a separate program that you'll be able to use to write in yr input and it will automatically store it in a format i can use.

also i'm flexible. if you have some ideas that i didn't plan for that aren't too crazy, i can put them in.

edit3: the writing that the player will see in the game is:
    a) item names.
    b) item descriptions for when they are in the environment
    c) item descriptions for when they are in the inventory
    d) descriptions of actions taken by the player or of other events that are otherwise triggered in the environment and their effects.
    e) new item names if an item is altered
    f) new item environment descriptions depending on if the item is altered
    g) variant item descriptions for the environment depending on if other items in said environment are altered
    h) basic room/environment descriptions
    i) descriptions of people in the environment
    j) all possible conversation options when communicating with a person.

i may have left some things out, and not all of these are totally implemented yet, but i think that's more or less what you should expect.

in addition, you will be designing the world, ie. placing objects, and thinking up ideas for items, and deciding what room(s) a door leads to, deciding what events will happen when/where etc.
    Last edited by postrook; 02-27-2014 at 03:32 PM.
    I hate TALKING. to PEOPLE. about THINGS.

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 69

Hmm. How about...

You are Bob. A mediocre guy with a crappy job. You're a blacksmith apprentice. You're very skilled but lack motivation/passion.

You show up late to work due to your horse loosing a shoe on the horse freeway.

When you arrive the master blacksmith is angry and brings you into his blacksmith office. You argue with him. He gets angry. A little too angry. He breaks his disguise and is revealed to be a sh*t demon.

After an epic battle and much poo is slung you defeat the sh*t demon by throwing his own crap in his face.

He explodes opening a portal to hell. You fall.

Then you explore the pits of hell, better yourself, maybe beat the devil in a banjo contest.

Return to the world of the living and take your rightful place as master blacksmith.

It's a classic tale.

Blacksmith/Time Period is,of course, interchangeable with whatever you prefer.
    Last edited by FarmerM; 02-26-2014 at 04:14 AM.

Insert Forgotten Title here Reputation: 129

How unglamorous we talkin' here?

[19:45] ♥Moloko Lynx♥: Flight sims would even suit you, Riz. You seem to have the sensibilities of an old man.
    Member since May 8, 2004.

Game Journalist Reputation: 394

You awaken on a damp patch of soil, with nothing but a thin linen robe between yourself and the wet dirt. With a great effort, you manage to push yourself up into a sitting position. At the same time, you open your eyes to reveal that you are sitting next to the stump of a large and ancient oak. On it is a sign in a language you do not understand, with an arrow pointing to the right.

It points down a path in the thin forest you currently reside. You can make out small plumes of smoke rising into the blue sky over the tree tops. In the opposite direction, the path seems to lead into a part of the forest that is much thicker. Splintering off to the left of the oak is a much smaller path that seems to not be traveled often.

As you look around your surroundings, you notice a waist-high pillar sitting just before the roads split. As you get closer, you realize that it is a sundial. Most of the markings you do not understands fully, but they seem to be numbers. You do, however, understand the compass showing you which way is North.

>Examine area further
    >Go West, deeper into the forest
    >Go East, towards the town
    >Go North, following the untraveled path

Examine area further
    Upon examining the area, you notice a large hole in the trunk of the oak. It seems large enough to hold several people of average size. You also glimpse what looks like a small wooden box in the higher grass surrounding the road. Leaned against the great oak is what you, after a double take, realize is a large metal replica of male genitals.

>Search the hole in the tree
    >Open the wooden box
    >Take genitals
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[7/23]----------(Now recruiting for ArcheAge!!!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Marineking's Minion Reputation: 211

Takes genitals and boils them for dinner..do i win the game?
    You hate me? No worries death to all my enemies forgiveness is over. If you hate me so bad come to my house and we can settle it like men. Am i claiming to be a fighter? Nope but im sick of your shit. You bring your boys ill bring mine i can guarantee some one gonna leave in a body bag. Ill shove this pitch fork up ya ass and have you begging for mercy and none will come. As i roast you over the fire laughing at your burning flesh. Im sick of your shit and your threats lets settle this like men

idunno, pretty unglamorous? think of all the text that goes into a game. now imagine that that game is a windows console application. now imagine not getting paid. and also imagine not all that many people playing yr game.

i need someone willing to commit some time for not very much in return, in other words.
    Last edited by postrook; 02-26-2014 at 12:25 PM.

Marineking's Minion Reputation: 211

Quote Originally Posted by postrook View Post
    idunno, pretty unglamorous? think of all the text that goes into a game. now imagine that that game is a windows console application. now imagine not getting paid. and also imagine not all that many people playing yr game.

i need someone willing to commit some time for not very much in return, in other words.

i would love to help ya bro but i cant spell and am not good with stories to much. might could do some horror stuff but like i said cant spell ><
    You hate me? No worries death to all my enemies forgiveness is over. If you hate me so bad come to my house and we can settle it like men. Am i claiming to be a fighter? Nope but im sick of your shit. You bring your boys ill bring mine i can guarantee some one gonna leave in a body bag. Ill shove this pitch fork up ya ass and have you begging for mercy and none will come. As i roast you over the fire laughing at your burning flesh. Im sick of your shit and your threats lets settle this like men

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 567

Make it about time travel.

I always thought a text adventure with a time travel mechanic to solve puzzles would be neat.

Stay frosty.

maybe i wasn't clear. i'm not looking for ideas so that i can write a game about said ideas. that is not what i am doing.

i am looking for a writer to do all of the non-code writing in a game. like, all of the text that the player will see.
    Last edited by postrook; 02-26-2014 at 03:49 PM.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 567

Quote Originally Posted by postrook View Post
    maybe i wasn't clear. i'm not looking for ideas so that i can write a game about said ideas. that is not what i am doing.

i am looking for a writer to do all of the non-code writing in a game. like, all of the text that the player will see.
    I went straight to the comments, sorry don't be mad.

Imo it's the worse starting direction to write a storyboard to the game, instead the other way around, but don't let that stop you. You should do a quick rundown of the features you have in mind and the general concept of how the user interacts with it.

The thing is, do you want peeps to write story, content or both? In the first post it sounded like story, but now it sounds like only content.
    Last edited by Ronin; 02-26-2014 at 04:13 PM.

Stay frosty.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast