GunZ 2 Thoughts and Impressions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 88

Default GunZ 2 Thoughts and Impressions

Being a GunZ 1 player on and off for several years I couldn't wait to try GunZ 2. So, when the Beta finally opened for NA... well... I had to wait a few more days.
    After the standard launch issues cleared up, I jumped in to see if it would live up to the hype.

First off I was disappointed to see that they had removed customization in favor of four preset classes.

Ivan wields a sniper rifle, katana, and SMG.
    Rena duel swords, duel pistols, and SMG.
    Elena a baseball bat, assault rifle, and nade launcher.
    Max is equipped with a riot shield, mini gun, and flame thrower.

Each character does have a few sets of clothing and weapons to purchase, but it's cosmetic and slight stat variations. At least it means nothing is pay to win at the moment.
    The shop does sell a few cosmetic items for real money at the moment.($15 for a hat!)

I picked Ivan and moved on to the lobby, which is your standard shooter lobby other than that(for the moment) there doesn't seem to be a way to select the room you join. You can queue up for 1-3 types of PvP.

-Team Death Match
    -Team Elimination- Kill the entire enemy team. First to 5 wins.
    -Time Assault- Destroy the enemy teams object within a set time.

or you can do the Co-op campaign.
    I picked PvP.

So, now we can talk about combat.
    In GunZ 1 I despised K-Style because of how it was implemented. It was basically a glitch that the developers didn't bother to fix. For GunZ 2 I was hoping for a more refined combat system. Something fast and elegant. Something that could match the good parts of K-style and remove the bad.
    So did GunZ 2 deliver?

Well, it can be fast. Really fast. Not just movement but TTK is really low. If you get caught in a combo, you're stun-locked and dead.

I personally miss the epic battles from GunZ 1. Two equally skilled players could fight back and forth for minutes.

In GunZ 2 that's replaced by a lot mindless spamming. Blocking is made almost useless by special abilities that characters gain as the level up, meaning that combat in GunZ 2 is roughly the equivalent of Call of Duty with swords.

Despite the disappointment from the combat system, I decided to give the campaign a try. Surprisingly where the games shines. They're actually MMO instance quality missions. There are lots of waves but the require awareness, positioning, weapon and ability management to clear.
    Bosses can feature multiple stages and well scripted abilities that require a bit of thought to counter.

I haven't finished the campaign yet but so far it's fun. The downside is there doesn't seem to be any form of reward. I have yet to get a shinny new gun or even a dirty sock. Cash gains from it are also slow in comparison to the PvP modes.

Overall, it's a fun game despite the fact the combat is frustratingly lacking of depth. I really hope they refine it a bit more and try to get a little closer to what I liked about GunZ 1 rather than a third person version of Team Fortress 2. Still, It's free the campaign is pretty cool. Give it a try.
    Last edited by FarmerM; 02-26-2014 at 04:50 AM.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 121

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    Being a GunZ 1 player on and off for several years I couldn't wait to try GunZ 2. So, when the Beta finally opened for NA... well... I had to wait a few more days.
    After the standard launch issues cleared up, I jumped in to see if it would live up to the hype.

First off I was disappointed to see that they had removed customization in favor of four preset classes.

Ivan wields a sniper rifle, katana, and SMG.
    Rena duel swords, duel pistols, and SMG.
    Elena a baseball bat, assault rifle, and nade launcher.
    Max is equipped with a riot shield, mini gun, and flame thrower.

Each character does have a few sets of clothing and weapons to purchase, but it's cosmetic and slight stat variations. At least it means nothing is pay to win at the moment.
    The shop does sell a few cosmetic items for real money at the moment.($15 for a hat!)

I picked Ivan and moved on to the lobby, which is your standard shooter lobby other than that(for the moment) there doesn't seem to be a way to select the room you join. You can queue up for 1-3 types of PvP.

-Team Death Match
    -Team Elimination- Kill the entire enemy team. First to 5 wins.
    -Time Assault- Destroy the enemy teams object within a set time.

or you can do the Co-op campaign.
    I picked PvP.

So, now we can talk about combat.
    In GunZ 1 I despised K-Style because of how it was implemented. It was basically a glitch that the developers didn't both to fix. For GunZ 2 I was hoping for a more refined combat system. Something fast and elegant. Something that could match the good parts of K-style and remove the bad.
    So did GunZ 2 deliver?

Well, it can be fast. Really fast. Not just movement but TTK is really low. If you get caught in a combo, you're stun-locked and dead.

I personally miss the epic battles from GunZ 1. Two equally skilled players could fight back and forth for minutes.

In GunZ 2 that's replaced by a lot mindless spamming. Blocking is made almost useless by special abilities that character's gain as the level up, meaning that combat in GunZ 2 is roughly the equivalent of Call of Duty with swords.

Despite the disappointment from the combat system, I decided to give the campaign a try. Surprisingly where the games shines. They're actually MMO instance quality missions. There are lots of waves but the require awareness, positioning, weapon and ability management to clear.
    Bosses can feature multiple stages and well scripted abilities that require a bit of thought to counter.

I haven't finished the campaign yet but so far it's really fun. The downside is there doesn't seem to be any form of rewards. So, far I have yet to be get a shinny new gun or even a dirty sock. Cash gains from it are also slow in comparison to the PvP modes.

Overall, it's a fun game despite the fact the combat is frustratingly lacking of depth. I really hope they refine it a bit more and try to get a little closer to what I liked about GunZ 1 rather than a third person version of Team Fortress 2. Still, It's free the campaign is pretty cool. Give it a try.
    Once you learn all the mechnics and tricks(canceling) that the swords and bat have you can actually have pretty decent fights. However...Reina's newb toob and max's weapons can make non-spam fights hard to achieve.

other than that, lag seems to be the only other downfall. Which isn't surprising since the servers are in EU and it's a p2p system.

I will say though, really wish twin pistols were better. They don't do much of anything really, guessing it's because of decoy being really strong.

Fat Bowser Reputation: 22

Gunz 2 is more-so a disappointment.

This may be my opinion but it's like an ugly shadow of what S4 league is.

Obvious downfalls,

4 preset classes that allude to a lack of variety in game play and itemization.
    New host system that just redefines lag and begs the question of why?
    Unbalanced classes (not as terrible but still a fact).
    Limited to only 4 man parties. If you can go into a 30 man+ room in Gunz 1, then you should be able to in your sequel.
    Unforgiving game play that is NOT fun.

Some of the brighter things are,

For the US version, it will become VAC secure (that pretty much ensures bans and security from hackers).
    Campaign is nothing new but a lot better than what most games offer.
    The combat seems fresh and game play mechanics really deliver the quick hack and slash people want.
    Pride is a wonderful trait.

Oh I also forgot another gripe, though this could be the lag not the guns but
    even at the suggested range of SMGs the damn things are anything but accurate, even when your sights are dead-on.

Illgamez Insomniac Reputation: 42

I am not a fan but I could see how the game could be appealing to a lot of people. Just not my cup of tea.

Murxidon's Maid Reputation: 92

It's more like one melee hit and you're stunned locked to death. The maps are so tiny those nading *****es just spam them errywhere. And once you get used to the big shield dude, you realize he's mega broken.

I think i'd enjoy it more if there were no classes like in the first GunZ.

Sandman's Slave Reputation: 245

The melee is extremely powerful in this game so Elena's ''noob tube'' pretty much stops people from melee face rolling all game. She forces you to have to wall run and do something other than spam melee all the time. If youre that guy whos stupid enough to stay in one spot to long you are gonna get destroyed.
    Relax and enjoy life

Random Chua Reputation: 47

Quote Originally Posted by Acreon View Post
    Once you learn all the mechnics and tricks(canceling) that the swords and bat have you can actually have pretty decent fights. However...Reina's newb toob and max's weapons can make non-spam fights hard to achieve.

other than that, lag seems to be the only other downfall. Which isn't surprising since the servers are in EU and it's a p2p system.

I will say though, really wish twin pistols were better. They don't do much of anything really, guessing it's because of decoy being really strong.
    Mostly this. The lag is the only main issue the game currently has, since however is hosting the match has a huge advantage. They need to fix this pronto.

Although, I find Rena's pistols to be great in close range and decent in mid range when in rapid fire mode. In fact: Rena's pistols actually out DPS Max's mini-gun in close range, which I find hilarious.

Honestly now that I had a chance to fight against players in my region, I would have to say that Gunz 2 is actually more difficult to play than Gunz 1. Without the crutch of insanely high mobility, you're forced to make decisions more quickly. In Gunz 1, while it had depth in execution, the overarching strategy was pretty shallow, because it mostly came down to "find the nearest guy and K/D-style at them." If you lost the fight, it meant you didn't K/D-style them hard enough.

I find myself dying a lot in Gunz 2 because I'm having difficulty adjusting to the more team based and snap decision making nature. To play Gunz 2 requires a brain (for the most part). I could play Gunz 1 while completely F'ed up because it was pure instinct. Some battles do get pretty mindless obviously when your solo queuing, but usually up against a full clan premade, you really need to focus.

In its current state, It's a "love it or hate it" kind of game. It still has some room to grow, as several classes, maps, game modes and features are being worked on.

One class in particular that I can't wait to play as is "Wayne the Strider / Street Warrior", which is basically the male equivalent to Gunslinger. While he shares assault rifles with Elena, he also will have access to shotguns which I know a lot of people have been asking for. And he'll also be able to use the awesome Blade & Revolver combo.
    Last edited by Mikedot; 02-26-2014 at 07:59 AM.

(Things and stuff are happening!)

Currently playing:
    WildStar - Razzi - LV50 Chua Engineer Explorer - Entity PvE Realm

Just faced 4 ivans, it just became "snipers camp spawn: the game"
    yeesh
    that and ivan's melee range is so big compared to reinas.
    ugh
    Last edited by Acreon; 02-26-2014 at 09:36 AM.

Cingal's Collar Reputation: 58

The original Gunz was that sandwich you wanted... you take a bite and go Mmmmm this is a good sandwich, but it's missing the pickles you asked for so you give it back to the chef, and then when you get it back there it is the sandwich you wanted... you just look at it from afar and go ... Oh damn that is the sandwich I've been waiting for! and then I take a bite... it's horrible... the ****ing chef covered it with his snot and spit

http://steamcommunity.com/app/242720...8822783889558/

That's my problem pretty much
    600$ PC (not including HD and Case since using previous one)

Windows 7 (Direct X Awesomeness)
    Intel I5 2400 1355 Socket (210$)
    HD 5770 x2 (got them on sale) (200$)
    8 GB of Ram (60$)
    PCI Sound card 7.1 (40$)
    Motherboard (60$)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast