Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: GunZ 2 Thoughts and Impressions

  1. #1
    HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204
    FarmerM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,263
    Rep Power
    7

    Default GunZ 2 Thoughts and Impressions

    Being a GunZ 1 player on and off for several years I couldn't wait to try GunZ 2. So, when the Beta finally opened for NA... well... I had to wait a few more days.
    After the standard launch issues cleared up, I jumped in to see if it would live up to the hype.

    First off I was disappointed to see that they had removed customization in favor of four preset classes.



    Ivan wields a sniper rifle, katana, and SMG.
    Rena duel swords, duel pistols, and SMG.
    Elena a baseball bat, assault rifle, and nade launcher.
    Max is equipped with a riot shield, mini gun, and flame thrower.

    Each character does have a few sets of clothing and weapons to purchase, but it's cosmetic and slight stat variations. At least it means nothing is pay to win at the moment.
    The shop does sell a few cosmetic items for real money at the moment.($15 for a hat!)

    I picked Ivan and moved on to the lobby, which is your standard shooter lobby other than that(for the moment) there doesn't seem to be a way to select the room you join. You can queue up for 1-3 types of PvP.

    -Team Death Match
    -Team Elimination- Kill the entire enemy team. First to 5 wins.
    -Time Assault- Destroy the enemy teams object within a set time.

    or you can do the Co-op campaign.
    I picked PvP.

    So, now we can talk about combat.
    In GunZ 1 I despised K-Style because of how it was implemented. It was basically a glitch that the developers didn't bother to fix. For GunZ 2 I was hoping for a more refined combat system. Something fast and elegant. Something that could match the good parts of K-style and remove the bad.
    So did GunZ 2 deliver?



    Well, it can be fast. Really fast. Not just movement but TTK is really low. If you get caught in a combo, you're stun-locked and dead.

    I personally miss the epic battles from GunZ 1. Two equally skilled players could fight back and forth for minutes.

    In GunZ 2 that's replaced by a lot mindless spamming. Blocking is made almost useless by special abilities that characters gain as the level up, meaning that combat in GunZ 2 is roughly the equivalent of Call of Duty with swords.

    Despite the disappointment from the combat system, I decided to give the campaign a try. Surprisingly where the games shines. They're actually MMO instance quality missions. There are lots of waves but the require awareness, positioning, weapon and ability management to clear.
    Bosses can feature multiple stages and well scripted abilities that require a bit of thought to counter.

    I haven't finished the campaign yet but so far it's fun. The downside is there doesn't seem to be any form of reward. I have yet to get a shinny new gun or even a dirty sock. Cash gains from it are also slow in comparison to the PvP modes.

    Overall, it's a fun game despite the fact the combat is frustratingly lacking of depth. I really hope they refine it a bit more and try to get a little closer to what I liked about GunZ 1 rather than a third person version of Team Fortress 2. Still, It's free the campaign is pretty cool. Give it a try.
    Last edited by FarmerM; 02-26-2014 at 04:50 AM.

  2. #2
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 152
    Acreon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Next to my Sony Bravia
    Posts
    5,320
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    Being a GunZ 1 player on and off for several years I couldn't wait to try GunZ 2. So, when the Beta finally opened for NA... well... I had to wait a few more days.
    After the standard launch issues cleared up, I jumped in to see if it would live up to the hype.

    First off I was disappointed to see that they had removed customization in favor of four preset classes.

    Ivan wields a sniper rifle, katana, and SMG.
    Rena duel swords, duel pistols, and SMG.
    Elena a baseball bat, assault rifle, and nade launcher.
    Max is equipped with a riot shield, mini gun, and flame thrower.

    Each character does have a few sets of clothing and weapons to purchase, but it's cosmetic and slight stat variations. At least it means nothing is pay to win at the moment.
    The shop does sell a few cosmetic items for real money at the moment.($15 for a hat!)

    I picked Ivan and moved on to the lobby, which is your standard shooter lobby other than that(for the moment) there doesn't seem to be a way to select the room you join. You can queue up for 1-3 types of PvP.

    -Team Death Match
    -Team Elimination- Kill the entire enemy team. First to 5 wins.
    -Time Assault- Destroy the enemy teams object within a set time.

    or you can do the Co-op campaign.
    I picked PvP.

    So, now we can talk about combat.
    In GunZ 1 I despised K-Style because of how it was implemented. It was basically a glitch that the developers didn't both to fix. For GunZ 2 I was hoping for a more refined combat system. Something fast and elegant. Something that could match the good parts of K-style and remove the bad.
    So did GunZ 2 deliver?

    Well, it can be fast. Really fast. Not just movement but TTK is really low. If you get caught in a combo, you're stun-locked and dead.

    I personally miss the epic battles from GunZ 1. Two equally skilled players could fight back and forth for minutes.

    In GunZ 2 that's replaced by a lot mindless spamming. Blocking is made almost useless by special abilities that character's gain as the level up, meaning that combat in GunZ 2 is roughly the equivalent of Call of Duty with swords.

    Despite the disappointment from the combat system, I decided to give the campaign a try. Surprisingly where the games shines. They're actually MMO instance quality missions. There are lots of waves but the require awareness, positioning, weapon and ability management to clear.
    Bosses can feature multiple stages and well scripted abilities that require a bit of thought to counter.

    I haven't finished the campaign yet but so far it's really fun. The downside is there doesn't seem to be any form of rewards. So, far I have yet to be get a shinny new gun or even a dirty sock. Cash gains from it are also slow in comparison to the PvP modes.


    Overall, it's a fun game despite the fact the combat is frustratingly lacking of depth. I really hope they refine it a bit more and try to get a little closer to what I liked about GunZ 1 rather than a third person version of Team Fortress 2. Still, It's free the campaign is pretty cool. Give it a try.
    Once you learn all the mechnics and tricks(canceling) that the swords and bat have you can actually have pretty decent fights. However...Reina's newb toob and max's weapons can make non-spam fights hard to achieve.

    other than that, lag seems to be the only other downfall. Which isn't surprising since the servers are in EU and it's a p2p system.

    I will say though, really wish twin pistols were better. They don't do much of anything really, guessing it's because of decoy being really strong.

  3. #3
    Fat Bowser Reputation: 22

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    209
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Gunz 2 is more-so a disappointment.

    This may be my opinion but it's like an ugly shadow of what S4 league is.

    Obvious downfalls,

    4 preset classes that allude to a lack of variety in game play and itemization.
    New host system that just redefines lag and begs the question of why?
    Unbalanced classes (not as terrible but still a fact).
    Limited to only 4 man parties. If you can go into a 30 man+ room in Gunz 1, then you should be able to in your sequel.
    Unforgiving game play that is NOT fun.

    Some of the brighter things are,

    For the US version, it will become VAC secure (that pretty much ensures bans and security from hackers).
    Campaign is nothing new but a lot better than what most games offer.
    The combat seems fresh and game play mechanics really deliver the quick hack and slash people want.
    Pride is a wonderful trait.

  4. #4
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 152
    Acreon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Next to my Sony Bravia
    Posts
    5,320
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Oh I also forgot another gripe, though this could be the lag not the guns but
    even at the suggested range of SMGs the damn things are anything but accurate, even when your sights are dead-on.

  5. #5
    Illgamez Insomniac Reputation: 42
    cell59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    2,232
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    I am not a fan but I could see how the game could be appealing to a lot of people. Just not my cup of tea.

  6. #6
    Raiyne's Rock Band Reputation: 92
    Klaime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,124
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    It's more like one melee hit and you're stunned locked to death. The maps are so tiny those nading *****es just spam them errywhere. And once you get used to the big shield dude, you realize he's mega broken.

    I think i'd enjoy it more if there were no classes like in the first GunZ.

  7. #7
    Sandman's Slave Reputation: 245
    Thetake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,847
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    The melee is extremely powerful in this game so Elena's ''noob tube'' pretty much stops people from melee face rolling all game. She forces you to have to wall run and do something other than spam melee all the time. If youre that guy whos stupid enough to stay in one spot to long you are gonna get destroyed.
    Relax and enjoy life


  8. #8
    Game Reviewer Reputation: 47
    Mikedot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Jackson, NJ
    Posts
    1,363
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Acreon View Post
    Once you learn all the mechnics and tricks(canceling) that the swords and bat have you can actually have pretty decent fights. However...Reina's newb toob and max's weapons can make non-spam fights hard to achieve.

    other than that, lag seems to be the only other downfall. Which isn't surprising since the servers are in EU and it's a p2p system.

    I will say though, really wish twin pistols were better. They don't do much of anything really, guessing it's because of decoy being really strong.
    Mostly this. The lag is the only main issue the game currently has, since however is hosting the match has a huge advantage. They need to fix this pronto.

    Although, I find Rena's pistols to be great in close range and decent in mid range when in rapid fire mode. In fact: Rena's pistols actually out DPS Max's mini-gun in close range, which I find hilarious.

    Honestly now that I had a chance to fight against players in my region, I would have to say that Gunz 2 is actually more difficult to play than Gunz 1. Without the crutch of insanely high mobility, you're forced to make decisions more quickly. In Gunz 1, while it had depth in execution, the overarching strategy was pretty shallow, because it mostly came down to "find the nearest guy and K/D-style at them." If you lost the fight, it meant you didn't K/D-style them hard enough.

    I find myself dying a lot in Gunz 2 because I'm having difficulty adjusting to the more team based and snap decision making nature. To play Gunz 2 requires a brain (for the most part). I could play Gunz 1 while completely F'ed up because it was pure instinct. Some battles do get pretty mindless obviously when your solo queuing, but usually up against a full clan premade, you really need to focus.

    In its current state, It's a "love it or hate it" kind of game. It still has some room to grow, as several classes, maps, game modes and features are being worked on.



    One class in particular that I can't wait to play as is "Wayne the Strider / Street Warrior", which is basically the male equivalent to Gunslinger. While he shares assault rifles with Elena, he also will have access to shotguns which I know a lot of people have been asking for. And he'll also be able to use the awesome Blade & Revolver combo.
    Last edited by Mikedot; 02-26-2014 at 07:59 AM.
    Currently playing:
    Warframe

  9. #9
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 152
    Acreon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Next to my Sony Bravia
    Posts
    5,320
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Just faced 4 ivans, it just became "snipers camp spawn: the game"
    yeesh
    that and ivan's melee range is so big compared to reinas.
    ugh
    Last edited by Acreon; 02-26-2014 at 09:36 AM.

  10. #10
    Norrin Radd's Nerd Rage Reputation: 58
    Gadiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,607
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    The original Gunz was that sandwich you wanted... you take a bite and go Mmmmm this is a good sandwich, but it's missing the pickles you asked for so you give it back to the chef, and then when you get it back there it is the sandwich you wanted... you just look at it from afar and go ... Oh damn that is the sandwich I've been waiting for! and then I take a bite... it's horrible... the ****ing chef covered it with his snot and spit

    http://steamcommunity.com/app/242720...8822783889558/

    That's my problem pretty much
    Case (80$)
    EXGA 850 Watt Modular Power Supply (100$)
    Windows 7 64 Bit
    Intel I5 3570k 1355 Socket (210$)
    Zotac 970 GTX (380$)
    16 GB of Ram (100$)
    Motherboard (60$)
    Monitor: (200$)

    My 1130 CAD$ Computer

  11. #11
    Murxidon's Maid Reputation: 22
    TrayDay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,081
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    "Wayne the Strider / Street Warrior"
    Something I'm surely looking forward to as I enjoy Elena.

    The game holds up to it's name "now" than it did in the First Duel. It's a love hate kind of thing as the customization is not as vast either. Honestly I could do without the weapons in the shop. Well then again, the default suits to my play style.
    What's really unappealing is the fact that you only get 3 sets of outfits, and have to pay for cosmetic items, as I know free to play usually does this method. Still expansive for one item.

    I just hope they continue to work on the game, with updates. Overall, it's okay not the greatest. Something I enjoy hoping in playing a few then logging off because it's well not worth the "grind" seeing as the leveling is hella slow especially when you're on a 5+ game winning streak.

  12. #12
    HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204
    FarmerM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,263
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Not sure why I keep trying to play. I've got a few decent fights but someone usually spams me in the ass and kills that fun. lol

    This is just a wild guess but I foresee them trying to do character classes LoL style.
    They have enough basic weapon combinations to do over a dozen characters with little overlap.
    If they're going to do classes, I hope they do lots but based on the price of a hat they'll be $25+ each.

  13. #13
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 152
    Acreon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Next to my Sony Bravia
    Posts
    5,320
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    Not sure why I keep trying to play. I've got a few decent fights but someone usually spams me in the ass and kills that fun. lol

    This is just a wild guess but I foresee them trying to do character classes LoL style.
    They have enough basic weapon combinations to do over a dozen characters with little overlap.
    If they're going to do classes, I hope they do lots but based on the price of a hat they'll be $25+ each.
    Well why would anyone get the new classes when Ivan is broken as all hell to begin with? best melee (by far) a good main weapon in the smg, and his special weapon(sniper rifle) is ridiculously good as well.

  14. #14
    HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204
    FarmerM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,263
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Everything at this point is just a lil broken. lol
    Ivan is the MOST versatile character but doesn't really have anything weakened to counter that.
    Rena is a lot faster and can kill the fastest in melee.
    Elena has enough nades to destroy a small country.
    and Max? MAX SPAM!

    I think a lot of it has to do with the low TTK. If you get hit you're basically stun-locked until dead.
    Last edited by FarmerM; 02-28-2014 at 12:55 AM.

  15. #15
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 152
    Acreon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Next to my Sony Bravia
    Posts
    5,320
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    Everything at this point is just a lil broken. lol
    Ivan is the MOST versatile character but doesn't really have anything weakened to counter that.
    Rena is a lot faster and can kill the fastest in melee.
    Elena has enough nades to destroy a small country.
    and Max? MAX SPAM!

    I think a lot of it has to do with the low TTK. If you get hit you're basically stun-locked until dead.
    I love rena myself, but I think she's the one most affected by lag becaus eof how small her melee hit boxes are. She has to adjust while swinging but with lag this can often times mean she cant finish her combo because the enemy has been pushed away =-=
    Where as ivan's melee range is large enough that you dont need to worry, just keep clicking til they're on the ground and you can shoot them with your coffin.

  16. #16
    Sun? What Sun? Reputation: 15

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    973
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Rena is the weakest IMO her combo LLLLRRR or w.e takes way to long to complete and leaves you open to be shot at easily, and after you finish the combo you are in air and have a delay before you can shoot them; It's hardly ever a 1 melee combo kill like other classes.

    All the other classes are balanced IMO they all have their specialty and excel in one way or the other.

  17. #17
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 152
    Acreon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Next to my Sony Bravia
    Posts
    5,320
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baukara View Post
    Rena is the weakest IMO her combo LLLLRRR or w.e takes way to long to complete and leaves you open to be shot at easily, and after you finish the combo you are in air and have a delay before you can shoot them; It's hardly ever a 1 melee combo kill like other classes.

    All the other classes are balanced IMO they all have their specialty and excel in one way or the other.
    due to the pushing problem i mentioned normally LLLRRR is the safest bet. With the coffin you cna hope for a kill but..yeah as you said it's never as simple as it is with the others.

    Like..her combo should be longer what with how mobile and safe she technically is but it should still do the trick provided you pull it off @_@

  18. #18
    Sun? What Sun? Reputation: 15

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    973
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Not to mention the more people play the better they will get with parry's. Her ranged is subpar to other classes and melee will be a joke with how many chances to parry her they get.

  19. #19
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 152
    Acreon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Next to my Sony Bravia
    Posts
    5,320
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baukara View Post
    Not to mention the more people play the better they will get with parry's. Her ranged is subpar to other classes and melee will be a joke with how many chances to parry her they get.
    yeah, thankfully you can dash->launch attack so I've been working on using that, you don't always get a kill but you certainly leave them wounded and normally can run off yourself.

    Also her pistols are really good once you learn to use rapid fire properly(right click) just right now the response time on EXITING rapid fire is...lack luster.

  20. #20
    HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204
    FarmerM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,263
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    I'm getting pretty good with Rena's melee now. Her ranged is another story. It just isn't that accurate or powerful. I guess the people who get kills in 2-3 shots are stacking crit gear or just really lucky. I can not reliably pull off headshots with her.

    On another note, I saw an Ivan doing an auto slash hack. Hopefully Steam nips it in the bum.
    Last edited by FarmerM; 03-04-2014 at 01:34 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •