Thread: Comics Are Dead

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204

Default Comics Are Dead

I've loved comics since I was a kid. However, the way they are currently sold makes it impossible to buy all the books I would like to read.

Were talking $4 for a single issue and DC alone has like 50 on-going series that interconnect. That's just not logical, especially with all the other, cheaper places people can get entertainment.

Cable- $20/mo
    Hulu- $8/mo
    Netflix- $10/mo

The average comic issue is around 30 pages. You can read it in 10-15 minutes. Meaning you get about 30 minutes of entertainment for the same price as a month of Hulu.

I have no idea why publishers don't offer online services to compete with this. I'd personally pay $10/month to read all the current DC issues online. Maybe make it $15/mo for access to back issues.

So, have you read comics? Do you still? What do you think about their publishing methods?

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 422

if i would buy all the manga i want to read instead of reading it online ... i would never have enough money ...
    Some Stories Are Just Way Better In My Head!

A good thing about manga, if you buy it, is the volumes are released really fast in comparison to TPBs.

I was looking at Naruto a recently and noticed they now offer 3-in-1 editions. 3 Volumes(600 pages) for $12.

in the sky with diamonds Reputation: 1151

I read adventure time, regular show and walking dead. Manageable.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 212

MangaFox & TopWebComics

Game Journalist Reputation: 484

I thought marvel, at least, had some online service where you pay monthly to read the latest releases online plus an archive of older issues?

I've been reading Superior Spider-Man lately via [REDACTED]. Plan to buy the next issue at my local Hastings tho, if they have it at least.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or *******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 317

Quote Originally Posted by poeticas View Post
    if i would buy all the manga i want to read instead of reading it online ... i would never have enough money ...
    I would be in debt if you consider that I read manga that are 500+ chapters and only 10-20 pages long,.

If you really wanna save money, why not wait for a collected volume? Or are they not good about doing that? I dunno, I don't read any super hero comics...but I buy some TMNT stuff from time to time, and I've been meaning to grab some more. Got a really funny one called The Pro in a reddit gifts exchange (don't look it up, extremely NSFW...although I totally read it at work now that I think about it.)

why not wait for a collected volume?
    Sure, you'll save 30-50% that way but for a trade paper back(TPB) you'll have to wait quite a while after the last includeD issue has been released.

If you don't mind being several months behind that's a good way to follow a couple of series cost efficiently but ultimately still not that good.

For example Batman's "Death of the Family" has 9 connected series, each with it's own TPB. Buying them when they were initially released would have cost around $200.

That doesn't come close to other forms of media entertainment. I can watch every season of Breaking Bad for $10/mo on NetFlix.

I hear ya on not wanting to wait. I can't wait 6 months for the Walking Dead collections...but maybe pick your favorites to do monthly and snag the collections when they come out for the others?

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 422

Quote Originally Posted by HamsterMascot View Post
    I would be in debt if you consider that I read manga that are 500+ chapters and only 10-20 pages long,.
    ... dont make me started about all the manga i have completed reading ... if i would buy that and all the manga i read daily ... then i could build a damn house out of manga ...
    Some Stories Are Just Way Better In My Head!