is it just me...or is it the mmos?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 319

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    The same social experience can be achieved without insane grinding.

Someone of the first online games I played were not grind based yet had very active communities. I made lots of friends playing the old Delta Force and Jedi Knight games.
    To be honest, yeah it can. It's just most games don't, not unless you really work at it.

The grind though provides a reason to do more than just that, since after a while it can get old without something else driving you to play. A lot of folks though don't even notice the grind in games when they play with friends. I can't begin to count all the times I leveled in vanilla MS without ever paying attention to the exp bar rise just because I had my friends to talk to and sit down and recover MP with (and this was back when you were getting like .02 -.03 exp per kill at level 30.) It wasn't the grind itself that made the games more fun, it just created a situation where you'd be playing the game for a long time and want to talk to people to help kill the time.

But the grind also made it so that things such as builds and getting certain gear were way more important because you used them a lot longer.
    "Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it."
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 231

the world seriously needs more sandbox mmos.
    i've never been so engrossed in a game(archeage) since vanilla wow.

there's a wolf in my heart

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

Well it all depends on your guild. I'm sure you can find a guild on Elder Scrolls or GW2 or any game out there. Just research a good guild to join before playing!
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 80

They focus the game on killing stuff... or at least doing quests. And now the social aspect is long gone.

In Ragnarok Online, back in the days, people sit around in front of Orc Dungeon to chat while they regain HP! Then they go inside, die, respawn and resume the chat again. In Yulgang Online, players also have to meditate for awhile to regain HP/MP. Many games had it like that. Now ? HP/MP regen fast to full when out of combat for 10 seconds.

3D camera behind shoulder games also make it harder to see chat bubbles. By the time someone finishes typing, the other already run away killing more mobs already.

Quests in most MMOs are designed to solo. Pick up quest A. Go kill B. Report back. Pick up quest C. Go fetch D. Report back. etc. Too much time running back and forth. It's harder for players to sync their progress. Whereas if the time it takes to do the quest is longer than the time to run back and forth, it will promote players grouping up. (in or not in same party) Either that or it's 10 players waiting for stupid quest mobs to spawn.
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you.
    Pyr3D.com - My Folio
    ---

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 80

Quote Originally Posted by Kashis View Post
    Thanks man. Checking out Log Horizon now.
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you.
    Pyr3D.com - My Folio
    ---

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Personally i have nothing against heavy grinding, or doing quests. Its the fact that i'm encouraged to do it alone that bothers me.

Like someone mentioned, its hard to stay in sync with a few known friends yet alone to randomly meet someone half way in their quest chain and continue to play with them....

The last game that i used to play that encouraged players to group up and do stuff together was Guild wars 2...but not fully..

While the game lets you fully explore the world and doesn't punish anyone for attacking someones else monster(no KS) people still tend to simply roam around alone.. rushing trough the map, unlocking all points of interest,vistas, small quests. they all do it alone.

the only time when people tend to group up is on dynamic events that randomly show up...but after its been compleeted..people simply move on in all directions again..

That, and new content that comes every now and then. But people in that case simply pile up in zergs and run around the map finishing stuff.

The only "true" grouping where i made some friends were champion runs,where a group of players jumped from place to place in a map ,killing champions for their loot....

As a player with several lvl 80 characters in GW2, im left with my guild (from gw1) and im doing server vs server pvp, or arena pvp..or a few guild dungeon runs (but in a fast, speed clear, only x y z classes allowed, and stack in a corner so the boss doesn't hit us as much kind of way)..

At the moment, im playing Dust an Elysian tale, or i go and host up my survival world server in minecraft and play with 4 other players using hamachi...and sometimes i host up a adventure map so we can play trough that.
    Cause even tho sometimes we split up and do our own thing, we still chat in the mean time via skype or TS. And its always fun to come visit someones else home/base/castle/...town

ill be sure to check out some of the games you folks mentioned
    Last edited by Moon Moon; 03-03-2014 at 10:14 AM.

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 92

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Moon View Post
    -------------
    So honestly, If anyone knows or is playing a mmorpg where you can spend most of your time playing with other people rather that spending 70% of your time running around and questing alone please do share!
    i was a bit like you and i spent a long time really thinking hard about precisely what i wanted out of an mmo.

if your key criteria is where "you can spend most of your time playing with other people" then it is hard to go past the RvR open PvP format. This is where the mmo format guarantees 100% that once you get to a higher level, you will always be involved in intense persistent world team pvp wars. There are very few games which do this format and do it well :-

DAOC- try the f2p freeshards (Uthgard and Genesis)
    Champions of Regnum - f2p and is not pay to win.
    Aika Online - not a bad RvR game.
    All of the above have a strong social and war aspect.

I would also mention GW2 but i can see u didnt quite like it. And that's all. There are no other RvR open pvp games which are not pay to win. That's it. Some games like RF online and MU Online are RvR open pvp, but they are buy to win. Lineage 2 does have pvp but you cannot kill enemy players freely.
    Be warned - I am a major player of Regnum Online the mmo. I've been playing it for about 2 years and rarely go without logging in at least once a day. You can also look at good alternatives to Regnum such ase Aion online and Aika Online.

http://i.imgur.com/OR8cPqY.gif
    http://i.minus.com/iuujAXwnufVSO.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibvD03fDh31lre.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibwoHNBFwlmuZF.gif
    http://i.minus.com/ibcdlNG4kU0IyS.gif

while im always looking forward to do rvr or pvp, they always keep them locked away for the end game...

Currently i consider my self a casual gamer, as in i can spend 1-3 h on a game per day (work and RL and stuff..)

The problem is that i cant see my self leveling alone for weeks just so i can eventually, after a month or so START playing with other players in RvR or pvp. Joining guilds and comunicating with them via chat/ts/skype and form groups to have great fun together in some form of pvp or end game dungeons and such.

I know some game have great end game content,pvp, pve, or just casually siting in some sort of town, crafting, chatting ,trading and stuff... but there is a good month of daily solo lvling (at least for me) that i find boring before id get to participate in that end game content...

And whenever i mention this to any of the friends i meet while im till leveling all i get are suggestions and tips on how to skip 80% of the content and "power" lvl my self so i can get to the end game the fastest possible way in order to actually start "playing" the game...

As for gw2. Dont get me wrong , i like the game, ive been playing it for around 9 months now. i have a fully exotic geared up guardian,thief, elementalist and a necro(some even have full ascended accessories)....i just got turned off by the amount of dungeon leetizm/bugs, skipping group contents (do it your self then, or wait for a few hours to find a group to do it with)

I used to play it on a daily basis, now i just log in whenever my guild hosts a wvw or a pve event...

Im just looking for a mmo rpg where i can play with people from lvl 1...instead of soloing for weeks,rushing towards the end game just to be able to play with some groups...

Quick eddit: i just remembered playing archlord and having tons of fun making a small clan of random players (not a guild, just around 6 players on friends lit). we made a band of our own that was lvling together and defending each other form anyone who dared to fight us..good times
    Last edited by Moon Moon; 03-03-2014 at 12:17 PM.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 284

give moba's a try, no real grinding and requires team play through the game.
    games usually last 30 minutes - an hour.
    Claimed by the lovely miss Zilo

Quote Originally Posted by WerewolfX View Post
    give moba's a try, no real grinding and requires team play through the game.
    games usually last 30 minutes - an hour.
    i have, ive been playing lol since it came out. But lately i only play duo with a friend on bot lane..but thats like 5 times a week..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast