is it just me...or is it the mmos?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Master Chief's Windex Reputation: 10

The best game i ever played was a very small-hell grindy-ultra p2w title named Tales of Pirates distributed by IGG. This was like....ehrr... 8-9 years ago(?) if i'm not mistaken lol.
    The game was not this big title, and as i said was super grindy. Also IGG is a greedy company and i remember myself spending hundreds of cash on it, but thinking back i had so much fun on that game that i don't regret any penny spent. And this because i had fun. Lots of friends, practically i never did anything alone on that game and was very challenging. There were extremely hard dungeons to do, guild wars to battle, open and instanced pvp, and even if the highest lvl when i left was 90 and took me 2 years to reach to it (LOL yeah ahaha!! ), well i never found another game to give me so much fun and satisfactions as that little game did. I was totally hooked, i could stay awake nights without sleeping, days without eating just to don't go away from pc. I remember having gaming sessions of 3 days long not shutting down the pc and checking often because there were portals that were opening only for short time just only certain days and we were entire guilds fighting to get possession on those portals. We were not using voice chat, screw that lol...we were having fun chatting on game when needed and how many times we were dieing because of this reason, was funnier. Ahhh i have so pleasant memories thinking back to that game.

After that, the only game that gave me something similar was City of Heroes, but not as much fun as ToP did. I think i will never find anything that can even came close to the experience i had back then.

Atm i went back to TERA and even if i do like alot the game and sometimes i play with my sister, well...is not that fun as it could and should be. This because of the community i guess. I have hard time to make friends for some strange reason and the guilds are not as they were once on the older games, nothing is as it used to be years ago and i feel like the good old times of the mmorpgs as i knew them has come to an end for me.

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

This thread is depressing

Its true, what has happened to the things that make an mmo special...

Game Journalist Reputation: 421

Honestly, I'm pretty sure it's you (and I, and most other gamers). There's currently a generation of gamers who are enjoying MMOs just as much as I can. Your first MMO is special, you wont get that exact same experience again without a lot of searching and the right group of friends. It's a special kind of situation where you are awed by what you are experiencing and everything is new. You're meeting new and interesting people and chatting with them while participating in a game that you thought could only exist in fiction.

Once you get past your first game, things change. You're not a vet, you're used to it all. You play a new game and you notice it's basically just the old game with a new skin and a few tweaks. You don't know anyone, and you don't bother to try and get to know anyone. It's just meh and you don't like it.

There are two tricks to get past this feeling and start enjoying MMOs again.

Join a very tight-knit and cooperative guild. One that uses voice-chat like TeamSpeak or raidcall. Having people to chat with, try new games with, and help encourage each other, goes a long way in keeping your fun-factor high. I've made 5,000+ word posts on the reason you should join these types of guilds in the past.

The other thing, like I mentioned, is to find sandbox games. These are the type of games that allow you to actually effect the virtual world in some manner. Be in player politics, housing, land ownership, etc... Most people who feel the way you do have been playing themepark MMOs without even knowing that Sandbox games are out there. Wurm Online, ArcheAge, Mortal Online, Darkfall, Xsyon, Shores of Hazeron, etc... there's a lot more than you would think out there. Playing sandbox games will help rekindle that new and awe-inspiring feeling you got in your first MMO, because the developers of these games like to try new things so you're actually discovering and learning again.

A third trick is to supplement your game time. Realize that if you play MMO(s) non-stop, you're going to get burnt out. Pick up single-player or arena-type games to play alongside your MMOs. Not having a good day in your MMO and need a break? Log out and play League... or BF4, or Banished, or Assassins' Creed, or whatever else.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

For me, what killed games was that every game came out with Story Quests.
    So you're never in the same part where your friend is, or whatever it may be. And you just finish one, get on another, finish one, get another.

Not like old Maple Story where they just had a bunch of different side quests with their own stories (Which still exists today in any mmo, but nobody does them because it's not worth doing over story quests).

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 101

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Moon View Post
    while im always looking forward to do rvr or pvp, they always keep them locked away for the end game...

Currently i consider my self a casual gamer, as in i can spend 1-3 h on a game per day ....Im just looking for a mmo rpg where i can play with people from lvl 1...
    I felt precisely like you do. When I first eyed Champions of Regnum I felt I could never stand the 3 weeks+ or so it would take before I could meaningfully participate in wild active pvp.

I kept looking around for a f2p mmo where I could start good RvR from lvl 1. There are still none available (gw2 is apossibility still). I thought hard why, and the only reason I can think of is money. These mmos cost money to run and cash shop xp boost scrolls are one of their key ways of getting richer players to pay (effectively subsidising poorer players like me).

the more i thought about it, the closer i came to realising i can either 1) leave mmos altogether as an entertainment activity or 2) grit my teeth and choose the best and longest lasting RvR mmo to invest grinding time into.

Regnum is that mmo for choice 2). Having spent say 6 months grinding up a character, ive had 2+yrs and counting awesome fun with it. Actually awesome is an understatement. It's still a wildly hilarious, tense, exciting, dramatic war which I engage in every day. Except for real life, Regnum is the best entertainment investment ive probably ever made of my time grinding. Regnum looks like it could last forever by the way (it has outlasted Vanguard and Warhammer).
    Be warned - I am a major player of Regnum Online the mmo. I've been playing it for about 2 years and rarely go without logging in at least once a day. You can also look at good alternatives to Regnum such ase Aion online and Aika Online.

http://i.imgur.com/OR8cPqY.gif
    http://i.minus.com/iuujAXwnufVSO.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibvD03fDh31lre.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibwoHNBFwlmuZF.gif
    http://i.minus.com/ibcdlNG4kU0IyS.gif

Game Journalist Reputation: 75

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    Honestly, I'm pretty sure it's you (and I, and most other gamers). There's currently a generation of gamers who are enjoying MMOs just as much as I can. Your first MMO is special, you wont get that exact same experience again without a lot of searching and the right group of friends. It's a special kind of situation where you are awed by what you are experiencing and everything is new. You're meeting new and interesting people and chatting with them while participating in a game that you thought could only exist in fiction.

Once you get past your first game, things change. You're not a vet, you're used to it all. You play a new game and you notice it's basically just the old game with a new skin and a few tweaks. You don't know anyone, and you don't bother to try and get to know anyone. It's just meh and you don't like it.

There are two tricks to get past this feeling and start enjoying MMOs again.

Join a very tight-knit and cooperative guild. One that uses voice-chat like TeamSpeak or raidcall. Having people to chat with, try new games with, and help encourage each other, goes a long way in keeping your fun-factor high. I've made 5,000+ word posts on the reason you should join these types of guilds in the past.

The other thing, like I mentioned, is to find sandbox games. These are the type of games that allow you to actually effect the virtual world in some manner. Be in player politics, housing, land ownership, etc... Most people who feel the way you do have been playing themepark MMOs without even knowing that Sandbox games are out there. Wurm Online, ArcheAge, Mortal Online, Darkfall, Xsyon, Shores of Hazeron, etc... there's a lot more than you would think out there. Playing sandbox games will help rekindle that new and awe-inspiring feeling you got in your first MMO, because the developers of these games like to try new things so you're actually discovering and learning again.

A third trick is to supplement your game time. Realize that if you play MMO(s) non-stop, you're going to get burnt out. Pick up single-player or arena-type games to play alongside your MMOs. Not having a good day in your MMO and need a break? Log out and play League... or BF4, or Banished, or Assassins' Creed, or whatever else.
    I agree. Whenever I start a new MMO, we start it as a group. This way we can play together how we think MMOs should be played regardless of the designers idea of letting everything be solo. Problem is that you finish the content or rush through it too quickly and get bored. Most likely just a problem where we've done the same thing too many times.

I want a world where I can immerse myself in and feel awe whenever I reach a new area. A lot of the times we don't have to read quest descriptions, guides, etc. because we already know what is coming from past experience.

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 88

Quote Originally Posted by Abubakr View Post
    I agree. Whenever I start a new MMO, we start it as a group. This way we can play together how we think MMOs should be played regardless of the designers idea of letting everything be solo. Problem is that you finish the content or rush through it too quickly and get bored. Most likely just a problem where we've done the same thing too many times.

I want a world where I can immerse myself in and feel awe whenever I reach a new area. A lot of the times we don't have to read quest descriptions, guides, etc. because we already know what is coming from past experience.
    100% agreed. Fighting a monster that is easy solo with 3 people surprisingly makes the generally shallow gameplay even more shallow.

Just a random thought. For those who love a challenge. Make content challenging for a single player. Here's the twist. Offer a 25% gains buff for those who group but also do a massive stat debuff.

Content remains challenging for both solo players and groups but encourages interaction.
    Last edited by FarmerM; 03-04-2014 at 04:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by queenvoo View Post
    I felt precisely like you do. When I first eyed Champions of Regnum I felt I could never stand the 3 weeks+ or so it would take before I could meaningfully participate in wild active pvp.

I kept looking around for a f2p mmo where I could start good RvR from lvl 1. There are still none available (gw2 is apossibility still). I thought hard why, and the only reason I can think of is money. These mmos cost money to run and cash shop xp boost scrolls are one of their key ways of getting richer players to pay (effectively subsidising poorer players like me).

the more i thought about it, the closer i came to realising i can either 1) leave mmos altogether as an entertainment activity or 2) grit my teeth and choose the best and longest lasting RvR mmo to invest grinding time into.

Regnum is that mmo for choice 2). Having spent say 6 months grinding up a character, ive had 2+yrs and counting awesome fun with it. Actually awesome is an understatement. It's still a wildly hilarious, tense, exciting, dramatic war which I engage in every day. Except for real life, Regnum is the best entertainment investment ive probably ever made of my time grinding. Regnum looks like it could last forever by the way (it has outlasted Vanguard and Warhammer).
    That actually looks like a very fun game, thanks for something new to try!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123