Recurring Nightmare (Kinda)

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

Default Recurring Nightmare (Kinda)

So, I've been having recurring dreams for years. Usually, I'll have dreams that borrow themes from previous dreams, sometimes I'll have almost the same exact dream from before but with a few slight alterations. Most of the time, it's the place that the dream takes place that is the same.

Anyways, what sparked the inspiration to write this posts was a dream that I just had while taking an hour long nap.

Essentially, the recurring themes in this dream are some sort of odd arcade and a virtual world.

The dream starts with myself and a few random people from my family (my mom and my aunt) shopping in some sort of super grocery store. I'm carrying around some disc version of a few pokemon games, given to me as some sort of gift at McDonalds or something (I assume I got the happy meal?) Anyways, from the dream I know they're the actual games, just on a disc so that they can be played on the computer.

From there, my mom takes me to an oldish video arcade that I've visited in previous dreams. I'm pretty sure this place is some kind of mixed up version of a similar arcade I would frequent while I was in middle school called Video Champ (had xboxs, PS2s, Gamecubes, etc... and every weekend there would be a big tournament and game night with pizza and crap I would go to.

When we get there, the places looks kinda crappy and I get the impression it's closing down, as there's only one console left. After the employee ensures me that they aren't closing down and my data wont just disappear if I save on the system (or something like that... it's a dream and I'm already starting to forget ;_, I go ahead and decide to play.

From there, I'm somehow back at the grocery store, but I decide to leave the store and go wait in the car. It's nighttime and as I'm leaving, I notice a few friends from high school sitting in a car that has no body, just a bottom. After talking to them, a weird (star)ship comes out of no where. It's kind of like a transformer version of the USS Enterprise from Star Trek, at least that's the best description I can give it.

This is when the next recurring theme of the dream occurs. The dream world morphs into this place that I've been to before. It's essentially a game world I (taking on the persona of someone else) have been stuck in before. The place looks nice enough, the problem is it's small and there's invisible barriers in a lot of places. It's essentially got a water-world type feeling, as instead of roads, most of it is water. Like I said, it looks nice enough, but I always feel so claustrophobic and full if despair whenever I dream in this place. Also, whenever you die in this place, you respawn after a time.

I'm forgetting most of the dream and what the place looks like, unfortunately, so I'll skip to the end. At the end, there myself, a friend, a girl, and an old guy that looks kinda like Gandalf. We finally feel like we've broken free of this place and we're in the "normal" world, trying to get home. However, along the way we start feeling progressively sluggish. After a couple of minutes, we found ourselves "sinking" back into the game/dream world. That's when I force myself awake because I'm not doing that shit again.

Just thought I would share. What are some recurring themes in your dreams?
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Marineking's Minion Reputation: 211

and to dreams. I rather not share at this time. As they are rather unpleasant and nothing but nightmares. 99% of all my dreams is nightmares. Never seem to have a good one >.<

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    When we get there, the places looks kinda crappy and I get the impression it's closing down, as there's only one console left. After the employee ensures me that they aren't closing down and my data wont just disappear if I save on the system (or something like that... it's a dream and I'm already starting to forget ;_, I go ahead and decide to play.
    Foreboding. Like you are not sure if your efforts and interests are meaningful anymore.

It's kind of like a transformer version of the USS Enterprise from Star Trek, at least that's the best description I can give it.
    AWESOME!!

After a couple of minutes, we found ourselves "sinking" back into the game/dream world.
    If you're scared of your consciousness shifting and your self-identity being forgotten you can do religious meditations every day at the same time to remind yourself who you are. Just choose a time, a stance, a music CD, and focus hard about who you were when you worried/cared about who you were. This'll improve your self-awareness. I don't even get tired after

What are some recurring themes in your dreams?
    EDIT: I was going to explain why I feel claustrophobic in reality but it's really depressing so I'll censor myself.
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

Olpah's Object Reputation: 323

that doesn't sound thaaat bad. well, except for the feeling of despair and inevitability part i suppose. maybe it means that you have one of those GAMING ADDICTIONS i hear so much about :P .

at this point almost all the dreams i remember are variations on other dreams i've had. there's the thing where i meet a person and then we get separated for a moment and i can never find them again. there's the maze made up of little rooms. there's the flying to get away from people. there's the running from someone trying to hurt me. there's the crawling up the narrow, railless freestanding staircase high above the ground. there's the remembering of how i both loved and hated my elementary/high school years.
    Last edited by postrook; 03-06-2014 at 11:05 AM.
    I hate TALKING. to PEOPLE. about THINGS.

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

Quote Originally Posted by postrook View Post
    that doesn't sound thaaat bad. well, except for the feeling of despair and inevitability part i suppose.
    Yeah, it was the claustrophobic and feeling of despair that made it a bad dream. I have actual nightmares, with demons and killing and other stupid crap all the time and they don't even phase me anymore. But that dream made me feel like it was the end of the world or something.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 567

Responsibility is a though nut, but you won't feel satisfaction by taking charge of your actions, as long as you don't believe in the importance of what you are doing.
    Find something that gives you meaning.
    Last edited by Ronin; 03-06-2014 at 11:38 PM.

Stay frosty.