Is it too late to start WoW?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Samus' Girdle Reputation: 10

Default Is it too late to start WoW?

Hello guys,I have a question,as the title already says I want to start playing WoW,but is it too late now? I mean the game is 10 years old now,does it still have a big playerbase?
    One more thing,do I have to buy each expansion that came out or just the last one now? The game is 15€ right?+ the last exp for 20€?Do I get another 30 days of playtime when I buy the expansion?
    If I decide to start playing WoW I would buy the game in the next few days,but I just want to hear your opinions,if it's still worth or not?

Thank you.

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 47

It's by far the most populated mmorpg in the world.

About the "is it too late?" It depends on your previous played mmorpgs, what you are looking for, if you played WoW before...and so on. Overall I'd say yes, but for example I wouldn't because I've already been playing it for about 2 years in the past even tho I'm fairly sure if I install it right now I would enjoy it.

There is a trial or starting edition if I'm not mistaken, so you can pretty much try it and decide.

Samus' Girdle Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Adamaris View Post
    It's by far the most populated mmorpg in the world.

About the "is it too late?" It depends on your previous played mmorpgs, what you are looking for, if you played WoW before...and so on. Overall I'd say yes, but for example I wouldn't because I've already been playing it for about 2 years in the past even tho I'm fairly sure if I install it right now I would enjoy it.
    There is a trial or starting edition if I'm not mistaken, so you can pretty much try it and decide.
    Well my first mmo was KalOnline,played it for about one year,and then started Silkroad Online that was 7 years ago,and I played silkroad till last year,I also played guild wars and guild wars 2,guild wars for about 3-4 months,and guild wars 2 about a half year.Well if I like something I stick to it for years,that was not the case for gw2 and gw,don't know why,I liked it somehow,but I got bored.Somehow I like the older games more than the newer one's.I am playing League of Legends now,but LoL is a moba,it doesn't have the feel that you get when you play mmorpg's,and well the comunity in LoL mostly consists of guys like "Are you noob?" "WTF!!NOOB!FCK!MATHER!""BURN ME YU FAMILI".Anyway thanks for the info about the trial I will try it and decide after if I will buy it or not,anyway I want to hear more opinions

Luigi’s Pizza Reputation: 13

It's definitely not too late, if anything it's probably the best time, loads of content, huge community and constant updates/expansions..

I have been playing it for quite a while and just keep coming back to it - it's my favourite MMORPG (even though I take breaks in playing it)... find a nice guild and they will be able to assist you all the way to level 90
    World of Warcraft - Karmia - Rogue - Level 90

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 47

If you only played these I'm fairly sure you will enjoy it a lot. Besides the trial, you can also watch some streams on twitch or videos from youtube to give you an idea about the game.

Wario’s Bad Accent Reputation: 5

I've been playing WoW on and off since release (skipped Burning Crusade, first half of Cata, and like 3/4 of MoP) and the best I can say is - the game works. Gameplay is fluid, there's a lot of options as far as what to do, but I wouldn't consider the game great by any means. This current expansion did a lot of damage with how grindy the initial dailies and extra roll token system worked, but they've made a lot of positive changes since then. The biggest issue is arguably the community. They've made grouping so quick and easy nowadays that there's no accountability whatsoever so you'll run into a lot of botters in PvP, or people that flat out dick around in dungeons or LFRaids. For that same reason, there's no real sense of community.

If you're looking for a solid game than WoW's a good choice. I'm mainly playing it as a time waster until something real impressive comes out.

Xenonight2's Zealot Reputation: 60

I wouldn't recommend it. Even after playing 30~60 or so Days of it. Some Pros and Cons:

Pros
    • Gameplay is very fluid.
    • A lot to do.
    • Game has humor.
    • Lots of people playing.
    • Variety of play styles available.
    • Basic Target-Based Mechanics, easily gotten into from most other Target-Based MMORPGs.
    • Some PVE Servers will actually have good enemy faction players that will help you battle enemies if you're having trouble. (Make sure to have PVP Off to help them help you. You can't chat to enemy players. So some will use emotes to help guide you.)
    • Some quests change the "Landscape" for you, and only you. (Dynamic World Instancing. See south of the lich king fortress. This is an amazing mechanic that I wish more MMORPGs had.)

Cons
    • Game tends to be overly achievement-centric.
    • Sometimes your quests will not tell you what "Expansion" you are getting into. (Vanilla can sometimes take you straight to Cataclysm, without getting into Lich King, etc.)
    • Exploring will not be viable until you can fly everywhere. (Due to NPCs flagged for PVP, etc.)
    • A quest or two may auto-flag you for PVP without you knowing. (Outlands Horde Side.)
    • Some things make people think that they need voice chat to coordinate. (I don't like this, seriously. The game was meant to be played with just text chat.)
    • The game hints at vanilla World of Warcraft being better than any of the expansions. (Subtly.)
    • Sometimes, too much to do.
    Last edited by coldReactive; 03-06-2014 at 04:10 PM.

DEMON GIRL APPRECIATION DAY (May 4th)
    Playing MMO: FFXIV (Ragnarok)
    Waiting On: EverQuest Next · Saving For: PlayStation 4

Dixie Banana Bar Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by coldReactive View Post
    I wouldn't recommend it. Even after playing 30~60 or so Days of it. Some Pros and Cons:

Pros
    • Gameplay is very fluid.
    • A lot to do.
    • Game has humor.
    • Lots of people playing.
    • Variety of play styles available.
    • Basic Target-Based Mechanics, easily gotten into from most other Target-Based MMORPGs.
    • Some PVE Servers will actually have good enemy faction players that will help you battle enemies if you're having trouble.
    • Some quests change the "Landscape" for you, and only you. (Dynamic World Instancing. See south of the lich king fortress. This is an amazing mechanic that I wish more MMORPGs had.)

Cons
    • Game tends to be overly achievement-centric.
    • Sometimes your quests will not tell you what "Expansion" you are getting into. (Vanilla can sometimes take you straight to Cataclysm, without getting into Lich King, etc.)
    • Exploring will not be viable until you can fly everywhere. (Due to NPCs flagged for PVP, etc.)
    • A quest or two may auto-flag you for PVP without you knowing. (Outlands Horde Side.)
    • Some things make people think that they need voice chat to coordinate. (I don't like this, seriously. The game was meant to be played with just text chat.)
    • The game hints at vanilla World of Warcraft being better than any of the expansions. (Subtly.)
    • Sometimes, too much to do.
    You do get into ALL expansions if you play properly. from 1-56 ( or around 56 ), you play vanilla, then go for burning crusade up to 69 ( ifi i remember ) then 69-80 for lich king, 80-85 cataclysm then 85-90 pandaria.

Of course you can skip by doing pvp.

The game is still good

Xenonight2's Zealot Reputation: 60

Quote Originally Posted by xKyphes View Post
    You do get into ALL expansions if you play properly. from 1-56 ( or around 56 ), you play vanilla, then go for burning crusade up to 69 ( ifi i remember ) then 69-80 for lich king, 80-85 cataclysm then 85-90 pandaria.
    You'll get some cataclysm quests in 1-56.

DEMON GIRL APPRECIATION DAY (May 4th)
    Playing MMO: FFXIV (Ragnarok)
    Waiting On: EverQuest Next · Saving For: PlayStation 4

Dixie Banana Bar Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by coldReactive View Post
    You'll get some cataclysm quests in 1-56.
    You still experience all the expansions.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast