Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it too late to start WoW?

Samus' Girdle Reputation: 10

Default Is it too late to start WoW?

Hello guys,I have a question,as the title already says I want to start playing WoW,but is it too late now? I mean the game is 10 years old now,does it still have a big playerbase?
    One more thing,do I have to buy each expansion that came out or just the last one now? The game is 15€ right?+ the last exp for 20€?Do I get another 30 days of playtime when I buy the expansion?
    If I decide to start playing WoW I would buy the game in the next few days,but I just want to hear your opinions,if it's still worth or not?

Thank you.

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 47

It's by far the most populated mmorpg in the world.

About the "is it too late?" It depends on your previous played mmorpgs, what you are looking for, if you played WoW before...and so on. Overall I'd say yes, but for example I wouldn't because I've already been playing it for about 2 years in the past even tho I'm fairly sure if I install it right now I would enjoy it.

There is a trial or starting edition if I'm not mistaken, so you can pretty much try it and decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamaris View Post
    It's by far the most populated mmorpg in the world.

About the "is it too late?" It depends on your previous played mmorpgs, what you are looking for, if you played WoW before...and so on. Overall I'd say yes, but for example I wouldn't because I've already been playing it for about 2 years in the past even tho I'm fairly sure if I install it right now I would enjoy it.
    There is a trial or starting edition if I'm not mistaken, so you can pretty much try it and decide.
    Well my first mmo was KalOnline,played it for about one year,and then started Silkroad Online that was 7 years ago,and I played silkroad till last year,I also played guild wars and guild wars 2,guild wars for about 3-4 months,and guild wars 2 about a half year.Well if I like something I stick to it for years,that was not the case for gw2 and gw,don't know why,I liked it somehow,but I got bored.Somehow I like the older games more than the newer one's.I am playing League of Legends now,but LoL is a moba,it doesn't have the feel that you get when you play mmorpg's,and well the comunity in LoL mostly consists of guys like "Are you noob?" "WTF!!NOOB!FCK!MATHER!""BURN ME YU FAMILI".Anyway thanks for the info about the trial I will try it and decide after if I will buy it or not,anyway I want to hear more opinions

Luigi’s Pizza Reputation: 13

It's definitely not too late, if anything it's probably the best time, loads of content, huge community and constant updates/expansions..

I have been playing it for quite a while and just keep coming back to it - it's my favourite MMORPG (even though I take breaks in playing it)... find a nice guild and they will be able to assist you all the way to level 90
    World of Warcraft - Karmia - Rogue - Level 90

If you only played these I'm fairly sure you will enjoy it a lot. Besides the trial, you can also watch some streams on twitch or videos from youtube to give you an idea about the game.

Payne, Max Payne Reputation: 5

I've been playing WoW on and off since release (skipped Burning Crusade, first half of Cata, and like 3/4 of MoP) and the best I can say is - the game works. Gameplay is fluid, there's a lot of options as far as what to do, but I wouldn't consider the game great by any means. This current expansion did a lot of damage with how grindy the initial dailies and extra roll token system worked, but they've made a lot of positive changes since then. The biggest issue is arguably the community. They've made grouping so quick and easy nowadays that there's no accountability whatsoever so you'll run into a lot of botters in PvP, or people that flat out dick around in dungeons or LFRaids. For that same reason, there's no real sense of community.

If you're looking for a solid game than WoW's a good choice. I'm mainly playing it as a time waster until something real impressive comes out.

Roon's Rogue Reputation: 117

I wouldn't recommend it. Even after playing 30~60 or so Days of it. Some Pros and Cons:

Pros
    • Gameplay is very fluid.
    • A lot to do.
    • Game has humor.
    • Lots of people playing.
    • Variety of play styles available.
    • Basic Target-Based Mechanics, easily gotten into from most other Target-Based MMORPGs.
    • Some PVE Servers will actually have good enemy faction players that will help you battle enemies if you're having trouble. (Make sure to have PVP Off to help them help you. You can't chat to enemy players. So some will use emotes to help guide you.)
    • Some quests change the "Landscape" for you, and only you. (Dynamic World Instancing. See south of the lich king fortress. This is an amazing mechanic that I wish more MMORPGs had.)

Cons
    • Game tends to be overly achievement-centric.
    • Sometimes your quests will not tell you what "Expansion" you are getting into. (Vanilla can sometimes take you straight to Cataclysm, without getting into Lich King, etc.)
    • Exploring will not be viable until you can fly everywhere. (Due to NPCs flagged for PVP, etc.)
    • A quest or two may auto-flag you for PVP without you knowing. (Outlands Horde Side.)
    • Some things make people think that they need voice chat to coordinate. (I don't like this, seriously. The game was meant to be played with just text chat.)
    • The game hints at vanilla World of Warcraft being better than any of the expansions. (Subtly.)
    • Sometimes, too much to do.
    Last edited by coldReactive; 03-06-2014 at 05:10 PM.

Only plays Magic DPS Classes, Healers and Machinist/Engineers.
    Playing MMO: FFXIV (Balmung)
    Waiting On: FFXV, KH3, Tree of Savior, RE:FFVII · Saving For: New Computer

Heads or Tails Reputation: 18

Quote Originally Posted by coldReactive View Post
    I wouldn't recommend it. Even after playing 30~60 or so Days of it. Some Pros and Cons:

Pros
    • Gameplay is very fluid.
    • A lot to do.
    • Game has humor.
    • Lots of people playing.
    • Variety of play styles available.
    • Basic Target-Based Mechanics, easily gotten into from most other Target-Based MMORPGs.
    • Some PVE Servers will actually have good enemy faction players that will help you battle enemies if you're having trouble.
    • Some quests change the "Landscape" for you, and only you. (Dynamic World Instancing. See south of the lich king fortress. This is an amazing mechanic that I wish more MMORPGs had.)

Cons
    • Game tends to be overly achievement-centric.
    • Sometimes your quests will not tell you what "Expansion" you are getting into. (Vanilla can sometimes take you straight to Cataclysm, without getting into Lich King, etc.)
    • Exploring will not be viable until you can fly everywhere. (Due to NPCs flagged for PVP, etc.)
    • A quest or two may auto-flag you for PVP without you knowing. (Outlands Horde Side.)
    • Some things make people think that they need voice chat to coordinate. (I don't like this, seriously. The game was meant to be played with just text chat.)
    • The game hints at vanilla World of Warcraft being better than any of the expansions. (Subtly.)
    • Sometimes, too much to do.
    You do get into ALL expansions if you play properly. from 1-56 ( or around 56 ), you play vanilla, then go for burning crusade up to 69 ( ifi i remember ) then 69-80 for lich king, 80-85 cataclysm then 85-90 pandaria.

Of course you can skip by doing pvp.

The game is still good

Quote Originally Posted by xKyphes View Post
    You do get into ALL expansions if you play properly. from 1-56 ( or around 56 ), you play vanilla, then go for burning crusade up to 69 ( ifi i remember ) then 69-80 for lich king, 80-85 cataclysm then 85-90 pandaria.
    You'll get some cataclysm quests in 1-56.

Heads or Tails Reputation: 18

You still experience all the expansions.

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Since Azeroth was changed during the Shattering, yes, you do technically do "Cataclysm" quests 1-58, but some zones weren't affected by it. Those zones still have the same quests as they did back in Vanilla. It just depends where you quest; and since there are multiple quest hubs for the same level bracket, you can choose.

Payne, Max Payne Reputation: 5

Why does any of this matter? The quests in areas like Badlands and Barrens contributed almost nothing to the vanilla plotline (which is pretty absent to begin with - you fight elementals, you fight dragons, you fight bugs, you fight the Scourge). You can criticize WoW for a lot of things, but this is one of the dumber topics.

Sandman's Slave Reputation: 80

If you have played both Guild Wars for a reasonable amount of time already, I doubt you will enjoy WoW again. GW2 combat makes WoW feel slow and standing there and attack.

You might like Wildstar though. It's like a combination of WoW and GW2 for me.
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you. My 3D Character Artist Folio

Quote Originally Posted by ASNZern View Post
    If you have played both Guild Wars for a reasonable amount of time already, I doubt you will enjoy WoW again. GW2 combat makes WoW feel slow and standing there and attack.

You might like Wildstar though. It's like a combination of WoW and GW2 for me.
    Combat is different, that doesn't mean either of them is bad. Imo, a good target system is still miles away from those actionish mmorpgs which tend to have crappy combat after all.
    Also GW and GW2 have nothing to do with WoW.

HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204

Is it too late to start WoW?

Yes. If you play for the story, too bad. You can't finish them. They all wrap up in raids which are obsolete.
    Just want to play for gameplay content? Too bad. Most of it is obsolete. You won't be going at level which the content is actually challenging.

Unless you want to grind through 85 levels to play the relevant content, don't bother with WoW.

Well I will go for the trial first,but as in every mmo,the fun begins at the end of lvling.I was in the last beta of Wildstar,yea the game is nice,but my pc can't handle it well and I am not planing to buy a new one in the next 1-2 years.I was also watching streams,especially one guy his name is Swifty on twitch I think.I like how the game looks,and yea it looks a little bit slower,but I don't mind that,have to get used to it.Looking forward to play after I download the client.

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 53

I would say its too early =p
    New expansion didnt come out yet.

RIP Xfire

Shadowsworn's Sandwich Reputation: 67

i have just recently started again and played a fresh toon from 1 - (now) 72. i have enjoyed the journey so far ( i have previously only played till end tbc, so everything after lvl 70 is new to me ) and i really like the new dungeons and questing zones.

so i'd say go for it
    Kritika Online
    Server: 보야카 - Guild: Guardians

Finster - Shadow Mage | Funken - Mystic Wolf
    Blutig - Crimson Assassin

Heads or Tails Reputation: 30

I think the upcoming expansion will let you make a lvl 90 char?

Cingal's Collar Reputation: 140

its not to late to not start wow

Quote Originally Posted by Aktillum View Post
    I think the upcoming expansion will let you make a lvl 90 char?
    Pre-ordering allows you to make one for free. They will implement a cash shop version of it in the future. (The price of it was teased for a split-second: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...haracter-boost )

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

You should imo , it's alright.

Basically, it's up to the OP. I suggest buying the game and the draenor/mists expansion(s) and playing it for the 30 Days they give for free. If you aren't satisfied, you have the experience of the MMORPG, and no one will ever tell you to try it again.

I'm glad I tried WoW for those 30 days. Now my inbox/chat/tell is 50% less full of people complaining about how X is comparable to WoW, etc. Because I tell them, and actually link my character: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/misha/Iyeru/

Sandman's Slave Reputation: 80

Quote Originally Posted by Adamaris View Post
    Combat is different, that doesn't mean either of them is bad. Imo, a good target system is still miles away from those actionish mmorpgs which tend to have crappy combat after all.
    Also GW and GW2 have nothing to do with WoW.
    OP played both GW and GW2 for almost 2 yrs. I'm not saying one's combat is good while other is bad. It's different style. But like once you go black, once you go action combat, it's hard to come back to standing still.
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you. My 3D Character Artist Folio

Quote Originally Posted by ASNZern View Post
    OP played both GW and GW2 for almost 2 yrs. I'm not saying one's combat is good while other is bad. It's different style. But like once you go black, once you go action combat, it's hard to come back to standing still.
    GW2 uses fuzzy select target-based. It's not action-based. The Secret World does this (Although slightly laggy/broken) and Dragon's Prophet does it. if you want real "Action-Based" MMORPGs, you have to try Vindictus and TERA.