vga splitting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Easssssssy Livin' Reputation: 853

Default vga splitting

So I made a media box. I'd like to have it plugged into both my monitor and tv. I don't need it to be on both at once, but it sure is a hassle to plug and unplug to switch between the two. Is there a simple way to do this? I like the monitor for music and the tv for video.

Oh, and buns, thanks for the pc build. I have it running finally. Needs a few more tweaks but all in all it's solid and doing a good job with everything I need.

Lol found this ugly bastard.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000I9B2KK

How's that resolution gonna look on a 32 inch tv?

Elsa! :3 Reputation: 572

Just pull 2 HDMI or DVI cables. One to your monitor, one to your TV. Put the image in cloning mode and be done. (I presume they'll both be in 1080p)
    Same set of keyboard and mouse will operate it. Don't need one screen, turn it off. Need the other one, turn that on etc. No extra PC resources taken other than that single HDMI/DVI port.

There are HDMI and DVI splitters out there but unless you're going to run a multi-screen clone setup, there's no need for them. VGA is BAD for image quality so don't get that.

[My Anime List] | [last.fm] | [xfire] | [Steam]
    Quote Originally Posted by duby View Post
    i have no clue as to what a paragraph is

Marineking's Minion Reputation: 211

sorry to go off topic but what is vga meaning?
    You hate me? No worries death to all my enemies forgiveness is over. If you hate me so bad come to my house and we can settle it like men. Am i claiming to be a fighter? Nope but im sick of your shit. You bring your boys ill bring mine i can guarantee some one gonna leave in a body bag. Ill shove this pitch fork up ya ass and have you begging for mercy and none will come. As i roast you over the fire laughing at your burning flesh. Im sick of your shit and your threats lets settle this like men

Bongo Crazy Kong Reputation: 10
    Where ever you will live, I will find you

Same here I actually use my monitor and my 32 inch LED TV when playing MMORPG and console games, but you really need a powerful video card to have a pleasant gaming experience. When I am afk on Eclipse War Online I put it on my Monitor while playing Metal Gear Rising Revengeance on my 32 inch TV

My PC specs:
    Processor: AMD FX 4300 3.8GHZ QUAD CORE
    Graphic Card: Powercolor Devil R9 270x 2gb ddr5 256bit
    RAM: 2 pcs. of Corsair Vengeance 8gbx2 ddr3 1333mhz
    Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0

Quote Originally Posted by SnOwBunZz View Post
    Just pull 2 HDMI or DVI cables. One to your monitor, one to your TV. Put the image in cloning mode and be done. (I presume they'll both be in 1080p)
    Same set of keyboard and mouse will operate it. Don't need one screen, turn it off. Need the other one, turn that on etc. No extra PC resources taken other than that single HDMI/DVI port.

There are HDMI and DVI splitters out there but unless you're going to run a multi-screen clone setup, there's no need for them. VGA is BAD for image quality so don't get that.
    This is an old box though, I'm just using it for parties for music and shit with XBMC on it. My PC doesn't have HDMI out nor does my monitor have an input for it. And I don't like streaming in HD from XBMC anyway. HD isn't really that big of a deal for me, at least in this application (though, that's why I'm not hooking it up to the 50 inch tv lol)

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 243

You know.... VGA split cable? You can still decide which screen will be the dominating one. You can use the TV for just it's wallpaper and the monitor for your other stuff.

Elsa! :3 Reputation: 572

Quote Originally Posted by HamsterMascot View Post
    You know.... VGA split cable? You can still decide which screen will be the dominating one. You can use the TV for just it's wallpaper and the monitor for your other stuff.
    This cable is for cloning only fyi. You cannot use double or triple screen with this.

@Oister, VGA doesn't transfer sound so unless you were planning on using the TV's speakers, you should be set.

[My Anime List] | [last.fm] | [xfire] | [Steam]
    i have no clue as to what a paragraph is

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 60

sorry to go off topic but what is vga meaning?
    It means Video Graphics Array. It's the standard output of GPUs. (Some don't have VGA outputs anymore.) VGA is usually used if HDMI, Digital Visual Interface, S-Video, DisplayPort don't work.
    Last edited by coldReactive; 03-10-2014 at 03:34 PM.

Only plays Burst Magic DPS Classes and Healers.
    Playing MMO: FFXIV (Ragnarok)
    Waiting On: EverQuest Next, FFXV, KH3 Saving For: An Epic Computer

Quote Originally Posted by SnOwBunZz View Post
    This cable is for cloning only fyi. You cannot use double or triple screen with this.

@Oister, VGA doesn't transfer sound so unless you were planning on using the TV's speakers, you should be set.
    Nope, I have external speakers. Spent all morning ****ing around with this...some asshat had the onboard sound turned off in the bios I'm sitting here going nuts trying to figure it out lmao. Installing all kinds of drivers thinking I just had the wrong one. I have no idea why it would be like that. Its the only audio output. Then I had to disable some rando thing that was defaulted in the audio that I don't even have (soundblaster or something).

But I FINALLY got it all configured, running wirelessly, playing audio, booting to xmbc, add-ons installed...I'm looking at this thing like the dopest jukebox ever invented. Now if only my bar patrons will understand how to operate it...I don't think it could be much more simple.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast