Is it worth it to go back to FFXIV? (If not...)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Luigiís Pizza Reputation: 12

Default Is it worth it to go back to FFXIV? (If not...)

Greetings ya'll, so a question has been buzzing around lately...

First a little back story. I enjoy healing/support DPS in mmorpgs, FFXIVs Scholar drew me in heavily thanks to this (and the fact I loved Sch back in XI helped too) but anyway, a question.

How is the game currently? I've heard things spanning from the game having a healthy population to it dying.

Another thing that kind of turned me off...

Does anyone know if a large amount of the population really does have "everything" capped. I left shortly after hitting 50 on my Scholar to let the game cool down and stabilize after its re-release, only to find hearsay of "the entire community" having every job/crafter/gather capped, despite the hyperbole I'd just like to know how true that statement is.

TL;DR- State of FFXIV? Population, activity etc?

If the game really is in a poor condition, anyone know any others that can give me my Healer/support DPS fill? Some examples

FFXI/XIV Scholars
    La Tale Maestro
    Tera Mystic (I guess?)
    Dragon Nests Physician (This was my other choice, but I keep being told Phys becomes nigh-obsolete in the coming cap so...)

Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated.

Orc's Breathmint Reputation: 34

I stopped playing like 2 months ago and I had like 3 craftin profs and 4 - 5 job classes maxed. All of them had ilevel 85+ gear. I wouldnt be surprised now if many people had everything maxed. If you finished coil and did the extreme primals already I wouldnt go back to the game just yet. I plan on going back when 2 big patches are released as I think the game is VERY fun but just not much to do.

I see, thanks!

Well, I haven't done either of those. My FC was pretty skewed. Game release, 10 of us capped quickly, and then we kind of sat there and tried to do some things. I abandoned ship to cool off after that so yeah

Hmm, I actually might benefit from not going all out in the game seeing as school actually requires attention (and I have tons of anime to watch and games to play as well) going to hear some more opinions on it, thanks so far.

Sandman's Slave Reputation: 245

Overall I think its a decent MMO. There is pretty much no grind in this game as there are new dungeons to do at almost every level, and they give good exp since the exp buff. As a new player, you're gonna have enough content to keep you busy for a while, so don't worry about lacking content.

The only problem I have with FFXIV is the horrible netcode. You're gonna see what I mean post lvl 50. In a game that requires precise timing or insta-death, they should REALLY fix their netcode issues.
    Relax and enjoy life

Shadowsworn's Sandwich Reputation: 22

This is the most polished P2P game i've played, graphics are very appealing too. And yes, I agree on the fact that content wise, you'll hit a dead end. I like the fact that sometime before hitting 50 (I think somewhere in the mid 40s) you'll have to grind FATEs though I don't know if it's still like that now. Anyway, if you've done most of the end content right now, it will be best to wait for more content to be added before coming back.

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 80

I played it for like a month at Launch. Hit lv 37 or something. Did a quest to change class from Gladiator to Warrior. Noticed FATE grinding was way too rewarding compared to dungeons or questing. Grinded FATEs for 2 days. Then quit.
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you.
    Pyr3D.com - My 3D Character Artist Folio
    ---

Thanks so far all

Already hit 50 so it'll be easier with the exp boost for any other jobs I felt like getting there.

Its still hard to decide though, I kind of doubt the longevity, but I really don't know when it comes to SE

Eriond's Egotist Reputation: 5

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaDivider View Post
    Thanks so far all

Already hit 50 so it'll be easier with the exp boost for any other jobs I felt like getting there.

Its still hard to decide though, I kind of doubt the longevity, but I really don't know when it comes to SE
    The game is actually about to release yet another big patch. The last one came the release of Crystal Tower which is a 24 man raid that gives you about i80 gear, and also Free company housing and extreme primal fights. Oh and PVP which I've yet to try out, but I've heard great things about it. The main thing everyone is looking forward to in the next patch is the Primal fight Leviathan. Along with my hard mode dungeons being added on top of Haukke Manor hard mode and Copperbell mines Hard mode. I believe the new ones are Halitali and brayflox's longstop as well as a totally new dungeon. These new additions are aimed to challenge higher item leveled characters.

Fate grinding is there but not NEAR as much as before. Dungeons are best for experience now thanks to the new "Duty roulette" which randomly picks a dungeon for you to do, but gives you extra experience, tomes, and money. Needless to say dungeons are now more rewarding to do opposed to the repetition of fate grinding, which admittedly got very old. Oh dungeon experience was boosted and now money drops in higher leveled dungeons.

All in all, this game is a joy to play and so far I appreciate the hard work the developers have put into it. I hope this game stays P2P, because it is definitely worth it. They have promised big updates at least every 3 months and so far they have kept to their word. The money I've invested into the game was well-spent in my opinion.

Oh and Gold Saucer is in development along with hints at Ninja job. Need I say more?

Quote Originally Posted by Mxerdude View Post
    The game is actually about to release yet another big patch. The last one came the release of Crystal Tower which is a 24 man raid that gives you about i80 gear, and also Free company housing and extreme primal fights. Oh and PVP which I've yet to try out, but I've heard great things about it. The main thing everyone is looking forward to in the next patch is the Primal fight Leviathan. Along with my hard mode dungeons being added on top of Haukke Manor hard mode and Copperbell mines Hard mode. I believe the new ones are Halitali and brayflox's longstop as well as a totally new dungeon. These new additions are aimed to challenge higher item leveled characters.

Fate grinding is there but not NEAR as much as before. Dungeons are best for experience now thanks to the new "Duty roulette" which randomly picks a dungeon for you to do, but gives you extra experience, tomes, and money. Needless to say dungeons are now more rewarding to do opposed to the repetition of fate grinding, which admittedly got very old. Oh dungeon experience was boosted and now money drops in higher leveled dungeons.

All in all, this game is a joy to play and so far I appreciate the hard work the developers have put into it. I hope this game stays P2P, because it is definitely worth it. They have promised big updates at least every 3 months and so far they have kept to their word. The money I've invested into the game was well-spent in my opinion.

Oh and Gold Saucer is in development along with hints at Ninja job. Need I say more?
    Well dang, I'm kind of sold now.

FATE grinding was...terrible, dungeons were actually really fun to heal. Just need to scrounge around for the sub fee and I'll probably start my Sch back up and attempt to catch up to everyone and their shiny endgame gear

If worse comes to worse and I flop in XIV c-c; I guess I'll head over to La Tale for Maestro (or just do both eventually)

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 30

There's not a lot to do in endgame atm.
    Besides Coil, there's extreme primals, and then you pretty much try to cap out your myth for the week, and oh, try to get one piece of loot from the Crystal Tower (which takes so long sometimes you end up capping your myth in the process and have a crapton of philo tomes). If you want two new mounts/pets, you can do the beastmen tribe quests daily until your reputation caps out (which takes awhile to do).

If you've already cleared everything, then the lack of content becomes much more apparent. I have to say though, the current content lasted me quite a while, but only because i'm attracted to every part of the game and wish to accomplish everything within my means.

tl;dr: go for it! XIV is really enjoyable as it is, there's still stuff to do before you get bored and in 3 weeks or so they'll release another major patch!
    Currently Playing [IGN]: (Say Hi if you see me!)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast