Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Is it worth it to go back to FFXIV? (If not...)

  1. #1
    Fat Bowser Reputation: 12
    OmegaDivider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    202
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Is it worth it to go back to FFXIV? (If not...)

    Greetings ya'll, so a question has been buzzing around lately...

    First a little back story. I enjoy healing/support DPS in mmorpgs, FFXIVs Scholar drew me in heavily thanks to this (and the fact I loved Sch back in XI helped too) but anyway, a question.

    How is the game currently? I've heard things spanning from the game having a healthy population to it dying.

    Another thing that kind of turned me off...

    Does anyone know if a large amount of the population really does have "everything" capped. I left shortly after hitting 50 on my Scholar to let the game cool down and stabilize after its re-release, only to find hearsay of "the entire community" having every job/crafter/gather capped, despite the hyperbole I'd just like to know how true that statement is.

    TL;DR- State of FFXIV? Population, activity etc?


    If the game really is in a poor condition, anyone know any others that can give me my Healer/support DPS fill? Some examples

    FFXI/XIV Scholars
    La Tale Maestro
    Tera Mystic (I guess?)
    Dragon Nests Physician (This was my other choice, but I keep being told Phys becomes nigh-obsolete in the coming cap so...)

    Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated.

  2. #2
    Orc's Breathmint Reputation: 34
    Soggypancake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    118
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    I stopped playing like 2 months ago and I had like 3 craftin profs and 4 - 5 job classes maxed. All of them had ilevel 85+ gear. I wouldnt be surprised now if many people had everything maxed. If you finished coil and did the extreme primals already I wouldnt go back to the game just yet. I plan on going back when 2 big patches are released as I think the game is VERY fun but just not much to do.

  3. #3
    Fat Bowser Reputation: 12
    OmegaDivider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    202
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    I see, thanks!

    Well, I haven't done either of those. My FC was pretty skewed. Game release, 10 of us capped quickly, and then we kind of sat there and tried to do some things. I abandoned ship to cool off after that so yeah

    Hmm, I actually might benefit from not going all out in the game seeing as school actually requires attention (and I have tons of anime to watch and games to play as well) going to hear some more opinions on it, thanks so far.

  4. #4
    Sandman's Slave Reputation: 245
    Thetake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,847
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Overall I think its a decent MMO. There is pretty much no grind in this game as there are new dungeons to do at almost every level, and they give good exp since the exp buff. As a new player, you're gonna have enough content to keep you busy for a while, so don't worry about lacking content.

    The only problem I have with FFXIV is the horrible netcode. You're gonna see what I mean post lvl 50. In a game that requires precise timing or insta-death, they should REALLY fix their netcode issues.
    Relax and enjoy life


  5. #5
    Shadowsworn's Sandwich Reputation: 22
    BooNeZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    Posts
    1,832
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    This is the most polished P2P game i've played, graphics are very appealing too. And yes, I agree on the fact that content wise, you'll hit a dead end. I like the fact that sometime before hitting 50 (I think somewhere in the mid 40s) you'll have to grind FATEs though I don't know if it's still like that now. Anyway, if you've done most of the end content right now, it will be best to wait for more content to be added before coming back.

  6. #6
    Sandman's Slave Reputation: 80
    ASNZern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,815
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    I played it for like a month at Launch. Hit lv 37 or something. Did a quest to change class from Gladiator to Warrior. Noticed FATE grinding was way too rewarding compared to dungeons or questing. Grinded FATEs for 2 days. Then quit.
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you. My 3D Character Artist Folio

  7. #7
    Fat Bowser Reputation: 12
    OmegaDivider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    202
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Thanks so far all

    Already hit 50 so it'll be easier with the exp boost for any other jobs I felt like getting there.

    Its still hard to decide though, I kind of doubt the longevity, but I really don't know when it comes to SE

  8. #8
    Eriond's Egotist Reputation: 15
    Mxerdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,783
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OmegaDivider View Post
    Thanks so far all

    Already hit 50 so it'll be easier with the exp boost for any other jobs I felt like getting there.

    Its still hard to decide though, I kind of doubt the longevity, but I really don't know when it comes to SE
    The game is actually about to release yet another big patch. The last one came the release of Crystal Tower which is a 24 man raid that gives you about i80 gear, and also Free company housing and extreme primal fights. Oh and PVP which I've yet to try out, but I've heard great things about it. The main thing everyone is looking forward to in the next patch is the Primal fight Leviathan. Along with my hard mode dungeons being added on top of Haukke Manor hard mode and Copperbell mines Hard mode. I believe the new ones are Halitali and brayflox's longstop as well as a totally new dungeon. These new additions are aimed to challenge higher item leveled characters.

    Fate grinding is there but not NEAR as much as before. Dungeons are best for experience now thanks to the new "Duty roulette" which randomly picks a dungeon for you to do, but gives you extra experience, tomes, and money. Needless to say dungeons are now more rewarding to do opposed to the repetition of fate grinding, which admittedly got very old. Oh dungeon experience was boosted and now money drops in higher leveled dungeons.

    All in all, this game is a joy to play and so far I appreciate the hard work the developers have put into it. I hope this game stays P2P, because it is definitely worth it. They have promised big updates at least every 3 months and so far they have kept to their word. The money I've invested into the game was well-spent in my opinion.

    Oh and Gold Saucer is in development along with hints at Ninja job. Need I say more?

  9. #9
    Fat Bowser Reputation: 12
    OmegaDivider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    202
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mxerdude View Post
    The game is actually about to release yet another big patch. The last one came the release of Crystal Tower which is a 24 man raid that gives you about i80 gear, and also Free company housing and extreme primal fights. Oh and PVP which I've yet to try out, but I've heard great things about it. The main thing everyone is looking forward to in the next patch is the Primal fight Leviathan. Along with my hard mode dungeons being added on top of Haukke Manor hard mode and Copperbell mines Hard mode. I believe the new ones are Halitali and brayflox's longstop as well as a totally new dungeon. These new additions are aimed to challenge higher item leveled characters.

    Fate grinding is there but not NEAR as much as before. Dungeons are best for experience now thanks to the new "Duty roulette" which randomly picks a dungeon for you to do, but gives you extra experience, tomes, and money. Needless to say dungeons are now more rewarding to do opposed to the repetition of fate grinding, which admittedly got very old. Oh dungeon experience was boosted and now money drops in higher leveled dungeons.

    All in all, this game is a joy to play and so far I appreciate the hard work the developers have put into it. I hope this game stays P2P, because it is definitely worth it. They have promised big updates at least every 3 months and so far they have kept to their word. The money I've invested into the game was well-spent in my opinion.

    Oh and Gold Saucer is in development along with hints at Ninja job. Need I say more?
    Well dang, I'm kind of sold now.

    FATE grinding was...terrible, dungeons were actually really fun to heal. Just need to scrounge around for the sub fee and I'll probably start my Sch back up and attempt to catch up to everyone and their shiny endgame gear

    If worse comes to worse and I flop in XIV c-c; I guess I'll head over to La Tale for Maestro (or just do both eventually)

  10. #10
    `Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 30
    Melton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Mars.
    Posts
    1,487
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    There's not a lot to do in endgame atm.
    Besides Coil, there's extreme primals, and then you pretty much try to cap out your myth for the week, and oh, try to get one piece of loot from the Crystal Tower (which takes so long sometimes you end up capping your myth in the process and have a crapton of philo tomes). If you want two new mounts/pets, you can do the beastmen tribe quests daily until your reputation caps out (which takes awhile to do).

    If you've already cleared everything, then the lack of content becomes much more apparent. I have to say though, the current content lasted me quite a while, but only because i'm attracted to every part of the game and wish to accomplish everything within my means.

    tl;dr: go for it! XIV is really enjoyable as it is, there's still stuff to do before you get bored and in 3 weeks or so they'll release another major patch!
    Currently Playing [IGN]: (Say Hi if you see me!)

  11. #11
    A Shrubbery Reputation: 43
    moizeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Florida, United States
    Posts
    833
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    I believe it always is. It's just the lack of content, and massive solo grind on lower levels that really turns off. The sub is being a downside for me. But will probably resub when frontlines comes out.

    My Blog: http://thetaintedbasin.blogspot.com/
    WOW > There are currently 9670 users online. 1461 members and 8209 guests

    Most users ever online was 13,440, 08-04-2015 at 11:11 AM.

  12. #12
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 317
    Bad Hamster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hamsterville
    Posts
    13,696
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    The lvl1-50 journey is the funnest, and you might enjoy the endgame, cause at release it practically forces you to grind 1 dungeon 68 times for 100philos tomes each to get one char fully geared. Now you can do the 24-man raid which weirdly enough stays fun, but you can also just do the duty roulette for the rewards.

  13. #13
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 192
    hyarume's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    11,984
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Major patch 2.2 is gonna hit at the end of this month, I'd come back around then. New storyline quests, and a wealth of new content.

  14. #14
    SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 44
    couponfork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,080
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    I've been checking on FFXIV constantly wondering if it is worth it. I owned the previous version so I got to play in beta, never played past that. How much of a time sink is it?

  15. #15
    Manic's Maniacal Machine Reputation: 102
    DarkLight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,916
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by couponfork View Post
    I've been checking on FFXIV constantly wondering if it is worth it. I owned the previous version so I got to play in beta, never played past that. How much of a time sink is it?
    If time what you have + money, if you not got the time don't waste your money, if you got the money and no time you could win but then your guilty of it for not doing anything to get anywhere. If you have the time and the money you on a winner. Its a very enjoyable game and lots to do, you could be there for months maybe even a year. It all depends on your game directions and approach's.
    I just can't see the point of handing over and over cash all the time, so I'm no longer in it. I recommend it to the people who can just waste away cash though.

  16. #16
    SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 44
    couponfork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,080
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkLight View Post
    If time what you have + money, if you not got the time don't waste your money, if you got the money and no time you could win but then your guilty of it for not doing anything to get anywhere. If you have the time and the money you on a winner. Its a very enjoyable game and lots to do, you could be there for months maybe even a year. It all depends on your game directions and approach's.
    I just can't see the point of handing over and over cash all the time, so I'm no longer in it. I recommend it to the people who can just waste away cash though.
    I don't have money to waste away but gaming is the one hobby I have. I'm fine with spending a few bucks a month if it's worth it.

  17. #17
    Eriond's Egotist Reputation: 15
    Mxerdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,783
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkLight View Post
    If time what you have + money, if you not got the time don't waste your money, if you got the money and no time you could win but then your guilty of it for not doing anything to get anywhere. If you have the time and the money you on a winner. Its a very enjoyable game and lots to do, you could be there for months maybe even a year. It all depends on your game directions and approach's.
    I just can't see the point of handing over and over cash all the time, so I'm no longer in it. I recommend it to the people who can just waste away cash though.
    It's not wasting away cash if you're enjoying what you're spending your money on.

  18. #18
    Fat Bowser Reputation: 12
    OmegaDivider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    202
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkLight View Post
    If time what you have + money, if you not got the time don't waste your money, if you got the money and no time you could win but then your guilty of it for not doing anything to get anywhere. If you have the time and the money you on a winner. Its a very enjoyable game and lots to do, you could be there for months maybe even a year. It all depends on your game directions and approach's.
    I just can't see the point of handing over and over cash all the time, so I'm no longer in it. I recommend it to the people who can just waste away cash though.

    -spends 100s a month on F2P games- Yeah...personally, I'm fine with a game limiting me to spending 15 a month to play it instead of the usual I'd pay to enhance my f2p experience x-x; That's just me and my lack of self control though

  19. #19
    Eriond's Egotist Reputation: 35
    sinfullfears's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,794
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    is there any type of trial or buddy code? i wanna try it out.

  20. #20
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 192
    hyarume's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    11,984
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    It is a very content-rich game, only a bit uneven on the end-game but there will be a lot of content added with 2.2, It is really enjoyable so much that I have been playing the game casual for over six months straight now :P

  21. #21
    SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 44
    couponfork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,080
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinfullfears View Post
    is there any type of trial or buddy code? i wanna try it out.
    I can try to find out if I have a buddy code of some sort, if I do I will give you it!

    Quote Originally Posted by hyarume View Post
    It is a very content-rich game, only a bit uneven on the end-game but there will be a lot of content added with 2.2, It is really enjoyable so much that I have been playing the game casual for over six months straight now :P
    I'd only be playing casually, I don't have much spare time in a given week so I'm sure the content would last me forever. I think I'm gonna subscribe, nothing else seems decent lately.

  22. #22
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 192
    hyarume's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    11,984
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Here's 2.2! (in a trailer form)

    http://vimeo.com/89095106

    And here's 2.1 if you missed it.

    http://vimeo.com/81188259

  23. #23
    `Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 30
    Melton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Mars.
    Posts
    1,487
    Rep Power
    10
    Currently Playing [IGN]: (Say Hi if you see me!)

  24. #24
    Cingal's Collar Reputation: 140

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,552
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    please check out my ffxiv blog, i will be posting information along with play videos ive made, its brand new so please check back often
    http://mrsecoffxiv.blogspot.com/

  25. #25
    Super Duper Uber Mega Ultra Extreme Reputation: 11

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    874
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    I would actually say to look at a different game. FFXIV is very polished yes... but it has implemented a flawed system. FFXIV is set up so once you hit endgame you grind grind grind for top gear, then you are done. There is nothing else to do in the game, then a new update and you grind grind grind for the NEW gear, then you are done again. Once again there is nothing to do. This is they system they implemented and this is ALL you will be doing if you play this game.

    Not to mention the horrible job implementation. All there is are tank, healer, or dps. There are no utility jobs. No jobs bring anything unique to a party because each job has their own buffs. You either heal, dps, or tank. There is no point in even leveling more than one dps job because they are all exactly the same as far as your roll in a group.

    Not to mention this game is dooming itself. It is a huge red flag when whenever new content is released, they make everything before it easier and more accessible. That just annoys me to no end. They just take away any challenge they actually had in the game. They hand everything to everyone, which isn't fun. And I am a casual gamer and feel this way!

    Then the crafting. Goodness me. The crafting is absolutely and utterly useless and just something to waste time on. I leveled 3 jobs to lvl 50 and have them geared. I NEVER purchased ANYTHING ANYONE has crafted. That just goes to show the utter uselessness of it. NO one actually needs anything you make which makes it completely lame to craft. I had no interest in it after realizing this.

    Needless to say I cancelled my sub just a while ago and am not looking back. The game was fun for a time but when you realize the crappy the endgame actually is and how they have locked themselves into this wash, rinse, repeat endgame cycle... it is not worth money.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •