Wizardry Online

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 126

There are actually quite some Wizardry fans here.

I personally really like the original Wizardry offline games. Wizardry Online interested me because of the good dungeon design, but I really don't like permadeath and PK in online games.
    It only went halfway into the right direction.

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by PinkiePie View Post
    our version never even got samurai, lord, bishop and ninja classes, the jp version has so much more content
    were you playing the russian version?
    the elite classes have been out on the english version for over 4 months.
    there are a bunch of them running around in the game as we speak.
    unfortunately alot of players stopped playing way before that because they ran out of content and they wanted to wait for the elite classes before they returned to the game.
    when they finally released them it never really got advertised so alot of them never learned about it.
    the games launch was riddled with technical difficulties, they launched it on steam and simply werent expecting the amount of players wanting to try the game. it was pretty much unplayable until they took it off of steam.

what i'm trying to get at is, the game is beeing shut down because of a lack of players, obviously,
    but its a real shame because its not actually a bad game. it's a very unique game that i think alot of people would enjoy playing.

saying that the game has no content isn't true now either (it was very short lived at launch tho) .. they have released alot of dungeons, and the later ones take a long time to complete.
    i have played for several months and i'm only about halfway through the content.

another thing i keep hearing is that people avoid the game because of perma death.
    they advertised that as one of the main points, but the way it works it is actually really hard to perma die and really easy to completely avoid that ever happening to you.

basically whenever you die and resurrect you get a chance to fail.
    that chance is pretty much never below 90% and you have to fail twice in a row.
    on top of that you can sacrifice items to raise that chance up to 100%
    doing that would cost quite a bit of gold or make you use some rare items that are
    kinda hard to find BUT the cheapest healing items raise it by 1% too
    they only cost 100gold which is nothing even at the start of the game.

people who have tried to permadie on purpose to unlock the titles for it have reported that its one of the hardest things to do in the game and it took em weeks to get them.

the game is a hardcore game in that it is very hard, but permadeath is not an issue at all. this was just a marketing failure.

well the game is still gonna be around for a few months, if you wanna give it a try me and others will gladly help you.
    Last edited by More_Dread; 03-21-2014 at 08:16 AM.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

Quote Originally Posted by DizzyPW View Post
    I don't imagine Wizardry will stay perma-dead for long.
    So much for its permadeath. (hue)
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

Rock Man Reputation: 32

Wizardry online is a good idea which suffered from severe lack of content and variety, incredibly shitty controls (probably the worst I've ever seen in any MMORPG) and the fact that 90% of the playerbase quit after the first few weeks. It could have been a good game if the implementation was handled by someone competent.

Quote Originally Posted by goawaybeavis View Post
    Wizardry online is a good idea which suffered from severe lack of content and variety, incredibly shitty controls (probably the worst I've ever seen in any MMORPG) and the fact that 90% of the playerbase quit after the first few weeks. It could have been a good game if the implementation was handled by someone competent.
    I think you're beeing a bit harsh there.
    the game has issues, i wont deny that but calling the controls the worst of any MMORPG is a bit of a stretch.
    theres one thing that is annoying, especially early on.
    you can't sprint or jump forward or crouch with your weapon out and you can't use any skills without drawing your weapon first forcing you to be sheathing and unsheathing constantly. this leads to a couple awkward situations early on for example when doing jumping puzzles. its a little counter intuitive and takes some getting used to.
    other than that the controls aren't really any better or worse than any other mmos out there.

the lack of content was apparent at the games launch.. they launched with 7 dungeons, 4 of them were really short lived and people that had already played them during the beta test were able to beat the content in ~1 or 2 weeks.
    that is IF they were able to play.
    They launched the game on Steam, but didnt beta test properly for the amount of people coming in.
    the servers couldn't handle it, leading to insane loading times and extreme rubber banding.
    this lead to alot of people trying the game, never really getting very far and giving up on it pretty soon.
    The game never really became playable until they took it off of steam to stop new players from coming in.
    a fix with obvious drawbacks.

back then people knew it would make no sense to keep playing after beating the available content because the games update schedule was pretty slow.

however now, over a year later there are a total of 18 dungeons, all of the new ones are much longer and harder to complete. there are new tilesets, new monsters, equipment and the 4 elite classes.

there are many things that make it a unique game that you won't find anywhere else.
    first you actually have to put some effort into it if you wanna get somewhere.
    the bosses require a well coordinated team, the puzzles require a wide range of things, from acrobatic elusiveness to math and memorization skills (or well.. at least the ability to google something)
    and the relatively open class changing system allows you to come up with many different custom builds.

this ensures that each character is unique in some way as you can reinforce each class with a handful of skills from other classes and for most classes you get a decent selection of different types of gear as well.
    a thief for example can equip most mage gear for extra magic protection, a fighter can use both thief and priest gear but has a harder time getting his magic defense up etc.

this keeps pvp interesting as there are way less cookie cutter builds out there.

theres no "one beats all" build.. you have to manage your strengths and weaknesses and keep an eye out for danger at all times.

in short, i think people that are interested in these pros and might be able to stomach the cons should give the game a(nother) chance before it disappears.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 195

No one told the kids this game will close down?

Ape for Diddy Reputation: 24

Quote Originally Posted by Songz View Post
    Wrong section, welcome to OnRPG, and lmao, I thought this thread was about Wizard101 for some reason.
    Wizard 101 was fun.
    Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

I know Wizardry Online was negatively portrayed from the get go with a little fabrication such as the comment slapped on their homepage "And when you die, you die forever." I do not think that statement was a good move on their part because its untrue. Who would want to waste money on a game that when you die you are dead for good? Which is how it plainly reads. That does not mean that the game is of crap quality, that just means that Sony Online used lack of judgement in focusing on a main selling point for the game. Which would be their perma death system. Sony Online went soft on the community, changing items such as the Death Bringer-axe by removing the 3% chance to ash another player. Its not the game that is terrible here...

If they wanted to push the perma death system as a main selling point then they should have done so in a different way. I think their class changing feature is a pretty sweet get up! Changing classes and returning to level 1 each class change is a lot of hard work and ends up feeling like a euphoric accomplishment once you have finished a build. Wizardry Online definitely needs to be given another chance. It has been nearly destroyed due to a little fabrication and lack of advertisement. Their are quite a few people who love the game and describe it as being way different than other MMORPG's out there.

Wizardry Online just needs to be given a chance and a little tender loving care. That's all. It is a very challenging game, in my opinion and its worth my time in playing it.

Rock Man Reputation: 32

Quote Originally Posted by More_Dread View Post
    I think you're beeing a bit harsh there.
    the game has issues, i wont deny that but calling the controls the worst of any MMORPG is a bit of a stretch.
    Out of all the MMOs I've played, nothing else deserves the shit-dripping trophy for worst controls as much as wiz online.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12