ArcheAge goes F2P model. Trion + Beta signup

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Eriond's Egotist Reputation: 45

Just trailer video update see first post.
    Those foreign mmo players like myself and few intrigues have seen it, but its still cool to know its here now.

Manic's Maniacal Machine Reputation: 17

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    A theme park game's features craft the experience for the player.
    A sand box game's features allow the player to craft the experience.

Classes: ArcheAge and Rift both allow to mix and match many talent trees for unique builds. ArcheAge offers 120 combinations. Rift offers 336.

PvP: ArcheAge and Rift both offer open world PvP where you can gank who you like. ArcheAge does allow same faction ganking, which stays in one level 30 zone on each side. PvP usually involves ganking back and forth until enough people show up to have a South Shore style brawl. Fun, but not sandbox.

Housing: Both Rift and ArcheAge offer player housing. Rift's is instanced but offers much greater customization. ArcheAge's is non-instanced but is area specific. Essentially meaning you can see it other people stuff but it doesn't really mean anything. It just adds an illusion of sandbox.

Crafting: Both games feature a collect and craft system.

Trade: ArcheAge trade runs are essentially quests that allow you to drop your quest items on death. It adds a bit of risk, but not really sandbox.

Questing: Both are linear experiences.

Leveling: Both rely on questing and grinding. You do gain experience from crafting in ArcheAge but leveling like that is veeery inefficient. More so if you don't have a decent combat level to access the better quality gather areas. It comparable to the guy spending 4 months leveling his WoW Panda to 80 doing nothing but gathering.

In either game you can hop around and roleplay but both games are about the same when it comes to restrictions.
    I am not saying ArcheAge isn't fun, it's fun. So much that people don't realize they're playing a theme park game. So really there's no point in arguing about it. The game works.
    Right, lets disregards that you can plant (and steal) stuff everywhere, you can build your own houses AND castles in the open world and siege/destroy them, territory control, taxing, open seas and ship combat, trade runs (they are FAR more sandbox than you make them be), underwater exploring and treasure hunting, underwater farming, crafting that is actually endgame gear, much better economy, piracy system, justice system with actual players handing down the judgement, etc.

I'm not saying it's a complete sandbox (i'd say only games like Wurm, Haven&Hearth, Salem are that), but it sure is a buttload more sandboxy than RIFT.

ArcheAge = sandpark
    Last edited by Grable; 04-11-2014 at 07:00 AM.

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 88

No... It's not. I really can't say it any better than I already have.

"A theme park game's features craft the experience for the player.
    A sand box game's features allow the player to craft the experience."

ArcheAge is WAY to restricted and NPC driven to be considered sand-anything.
    Pretty much so everything in ArcheAge is ultimately dictated by the system, as opposed to players.

The justice system would be a valid argument if it had a point. Only players who have committed a crime are sent to trial. There's no active witnessing. No bounty system. All that happens is you leave a red mark on the ground after a crime and players click it. You die from anything and are sent to jail by the system. The way it's set up the outcome is guaranteed.

Basically, XL Games has taken sand box elements and applied them to a theme park game. The theme park restrictions/system based dictations nullifies anything that could be considered sandbox.

At the most, I would give ArcheAge a 90:10 Theme park to Sandbox ratio.

If you don't see it, I'll concede just because I don't feel like arguing against the equivalent of "HEEEEHAAAAW, HEEEEHAAAAW, HEEEEHAAAAW!"
    Last edited by FarmerM; 04-11-2014 at 08:16 AM.

Manic's Maniacal Machine Reputation: 17

I'm done arguing anyway. You're too narrow minded about the definiton of sandbox. I've played countless sandbox games and MMOs, I feel I have enough knowledge and experience to tell which features are more sandbox and which are more themepark. Just because you can't ****ing dig the ground and make diamond pickaxes doesn't make the game non-sandbox.

42 Reputation: 10

I hate sandbox games hope Archeage isnt =p

ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 47

I can tell you now, Archeage isn't as sandbox as you think. Play Wushu or Wakfu, than tell me it's a Sandbox.

The way I see it is Archeage is a Themepark with a few features "plant (and steal) stuff everywhere, you can build your own houses and siege/destroy them, territory control, taxing, open seas" Pretty common features in an average MMO

"underwater exploring and treasure hunting, underwater farming, crafting that is actually endgame gear, much better economy" Getting more modern but just a modern Themepark

"piracy system, justice system with actual players handing down the judgement" I won't say this is a sandbox element, it's a straight up feature.

Most of these elements can be found in AION, Rift and GW2.

I'll tell you, Wakfu has 0 NPCs, You can't even buy some potions(Bread in this case), Player run ecosystem (Straight up you plants don't respawn, Gotta replant them), Player run Politic system (They set the taxes, though this is sort of a feature) and But giving all this made the PVP ass.... You can also capture islands for your nation (Your nation gets buffs for balancing ecosystems under their influence) But I've got no idea how to do it.
    Last edited by Heartyace; 04-11-2014 at 06:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quote
    IPandawa was a minor god who came to power and joined the ranks of the twelve when she discovered a recipe for the perfect bamboo wine/milk.
    Wakfu: Roxie Hubrecut

Manic's Maniacal Machine Reputation: 31

Quote Originally Posted by Heartyace View Post
    I can tell you now, Archeage isn't as sandbox as you think. Play Wushu or Wakfu, than tell me it's a Sandbox.

The way I see it is Archeage is a Themepark with a few features "plant (and steal) stuff everywhere, you can build your own houses and siege/destroy them, territory control, taxing, open seas" Pretty common features in an average MMO

"underwater exploring and treasure hunting, underwater farming, crafting that is actually endgame gear, much better economy" Getting more modern but just a modern Themepark

"piracy system, justice system with actual players handing down the judgement" I won't say this is a sandbox element, it's a straight up feature.

I'll tell you, Wakfu has 0 NPCs, You can't even buy some potions(Bread in this case), Player run ecosystem (Straight up you plants don't respawn, Gotta replant them), Player run Politic system (They set the taxes, though this is sort of a feature) and But giving all this made the PVP ass.... You can also capture islands for your nation (Your nation gets buffs for balancing ecosystems under their influence) But I've got no idea how to do it.
    Press W in an area to check the bonuses available. If the area is balanced, you will see an orange icon next to the resource that is in equilibrium. If it is not, then the icon will not be shaded in. In order to receive the bonus, you need to either populate or plant a given resource until you meet the listed amount, or kill off mobs or harvest resources until they are within the listed range. There are 6 in total in each area, but every area has two random ones which determine whether or not you get a bonus from that given section. Once this is done, you will see a message on the top right of your screen saying the clan member in this area is happy.

I hope that made sense. Good luck.
    Last edited by BetaGods123; 04-11-2014 at 06:34 PM.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 278

Quote Originally Posted by Heartyace View Post

LOL tell me one game that has the same features as archeage.

Quote Originally Posted by plotto View Post
    ps @varon: its called grammatical errors. so far as i can c, u have no clue about gamer language.

Manic's Maniacal Machine Reputation: 98

The truth is.. ArcheAge used to be a Sandbox MMO, but it has become a Theme Park. Many of the sandbox functions have been replaced with more streamlined functions that are easier for normal players to understand. It does indeed feel like a normal MMO, but with some extra functions (like any game since every game has at least some extra features). The 1.0 patch makes it even more streamlined, and there is still a possibility that even more will be removed or replaced.

In my opinion, ArcheAge is now a confusing Theme Park MMO with some sandbox features that are still poorly executed and confusing. The game is less focused on crafting and gathering, and more focused on traditional aspects of an MMO.
    Playing: World of Warcraft (Area 52 Horde)

Waiting for:

GTA 5 PC (Pre-Ordered)
    Everquest Next

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

I don't know why this is an argument. You should all just stop while you're ahead, as going any further is just going to make you all seem oblivious.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast