Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Will Housing Save SWTOR?

  1. #1
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 344

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Computer?
    Posts
    5,171
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Will Housing Save SWTOR?

    http://www.swtor.com/galactic-strongholds

    So you'll be able to own multiple homes on multiple planets along with owning a flagship for your guild. But will this be enough to save an already dying SWTOR? What are your thoughts? IMO, housing is always a welcome feature in a MMO.

  2. #2
    HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204
    FarmerM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,263
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Seems they're trying to add to the SW experience, but the Hero Engine can not handle the the scale that would be required to do it right.
    Housing will be instanced. Who really cares about that?

    After playing ArcheAge, I really wish more MMO developers would go with CryEngine. It can do pretty much so anything.

  3. #3
    Game List Master Reputation: 239
    chaoscauser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Norfolk UK
    Posts
    4,639
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Doesn't change the boring ground combat so probably not

  4. #4
    Loric's Lunatic Reputation: 116
    sinnful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,614
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    SWTOR is far from dead, so it doesn't really need saving.

  5. #5
    Sandman's Slave Reputation: 80
    ASNZern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,815
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Boring combat. Not going back.
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you. My 3D Character Artist Folio

  6. #6
    Game Journalist Reputation: 484

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    6,711
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Makes the game more interesting, at least. But, as it stands, SWTOR feels like an MMO that came AFTER its time. It's odd, even with all the money and effort that went into SWTOR, it's still just a shadow of what SWG was (and still is, thanks to the SWGEmu project). Kinda makes me wonder why they continue to try.

    I'll probably never get a chance to give SWTOR a real chance. I got up to level 15 or so before I got bored of the game. I'm just tired of the grinding game. The only reason I can stand doing it in ArcheAge is because of all of the other features that make the game interesting and fun. It's giving me the same feeling that SWG gave, that Wurm and Mortal Online gave, and the feeling that Age of Wushu gave. The feeling that only a game that is incredibly deep and interesting can give, a game that gives it's players actual freedom to effect the game world (if only a little bit). And when the Northern continent is released? That will probably just refuel my on-going hype for the game.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or ******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

  7. #7
    HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204
    FarmerM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,263
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Kinda makes me wonder why they continue to try.
    Because they spent a TON of money making the game. They are gaining money but it will take a while to break even.
    After that happens, or it passes an acceptable point of loss, I would expect a shutdown.

  8. #8
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 235
    Jermatoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,229
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    Because they spent a TON of money making the game. They are gaining money but it will take a while to break even.
    After that happens, or it passes an acceptable point of loss, I would expect a shutdown.
    This. This so much, although I'll admit I laughed for a good 5 minutes reading that title, nothing good can ever save this steaming pile of shit.

  9. #9
    Super Duper Uber Mega Ultra Extreme Reputation: 76
    Senseos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    871
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    no the game failed,got blamed at start,theres no hope

  10. #10
    Forum PvPer Reputation: 383
    Krunkmasta Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Everywhere.
    Posts
    16,367
    Rep Power
    25

    Default


    question eternally answered.

  11. #11
    Norrin Radd's Nerd Rage Reputation: 15
    Lexaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    1,666
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinnful View Post
    SWTOR is far from dead, so it doesn't really need saving.
    ^ THIS ... Played like 3 months ago and all servers were ~full at peak times so yeah ppl saying that it's dead need to check the game before speaking . Also about saying once they make enough money to compensate what they spent they'll shutdown.... Preach from "Preach Gaming" (or Mikepreachwow on youtube) mentioned a couple of times that he talked to devs of swtor , and they made PROFIT the very day they went live , and everything after that was just a bonus , so like it or hate it swtor is not going anywhere anytime soon :3



  12. #12
    Norrin Radd's Nerd Rage Reputation: 99
    Ryukiri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    1,677
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Boring combat. Boring quests, Boring grind. Not going back either.

  13. #13
    HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204
    FarmerM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,263
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    they made PROFIT the very day they went live
    Nope. Total bullsh*t.
    It's estimated to have cost around $200,000,000 to develop(up to release) and they're still pumping money into it.

  14. #14
    Norrin Radd's Nerd Rage Reputation: 15
    Lexaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    1,666
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    Nope. Total bullsh*t.
    It's estimated to have cost around $200,000,000 to develop(up to release) and they're still pumping money into it.
    Although BioWare has not disclosed development costs, industry leaders and financial analysts have estimated it to be between $150 million and $200 million or more, making it, at the time, the most expensive video game ever made. The game had 1 million subscribers within three days of its launch, making it the world's "fastest-growing MMO ever".
    And most of them prolly bought collectors edition or preordered , NOW saw on e-bay collectors edition for 129$ after all this time so what was the price of it at launch ?

    Also yes checked the vid it was not the first day... it was withing the 1st MONTH I apologize

    http://youtu.be/sZnNMbm3tVg?t=4m38s



  15. #15
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 344

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Computer?
    Posts
    5,171
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexaz View Post
    ^ THIS ... Played like 3 months ago and all servers were ~full at peak times so yeah ppl saying that it's dead need to check the game before speaking . Also about saying once they make enough money to compensate what they spent they'll shutdown.... Preach from "Preach Gaming" (or Mikepreachwow on youtube) mentioned a couple of times that he talked to devs of swtor , and they made PROFIT the very day they went live , and everything after that was just a bonus , so like it or hate it swtor is not going anywhere anytime soon :3
    I hope you realize that any servers are full because of mass merging. No one needs to "check the game" before speaking about SWTOR. We are all aware that the population has and continues to die out, hence the merges and that the game in itself has been losing money. No shit that the game started off large and in charge. It's a Star Wars title. It's also a no-brainer as to why SWTOR became one of the most hated MMOs during its release, seeing a massive and swift decline of subscribers which was only fixed by the move to F2P. So enough of your smug "like it or not" attitude. Everyone here is fully aware of the situation in regards to SWTOR. The only reason the servers boomed back up a few months back is because of the galactic starfighter update, which the population is already going back down once more. That's always the case with updates in games. The population will always have a large boost when it comes to new content, very good patches and of course the change from P2P to F2P.

  16. #16
    Norrin Radd's Nerd Rage Reputation: 15
    Lexaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    1,666
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jin-Roh View Post
    I hope you realize that any servers are full because of mass merging. No one needs to "check the game" before speaking about SWTOR. We are all aware that the population has and continues to die out, hence the merges and that the game in itself has been losing money.
    The merging was long ago... in fact it merged I think before I was even a sub and I'm a sub for ~1.5 year or smth . If it was indeed a spike in pop due to merging it would've been "over" already

    Quote Originally Posted by Jin-Roh View Post
    No shit that the game started off large and in charge. It's a Star Wars title.
    Doesn't change the fact to which I replied to , that it's not making money to even out the money spent and then close...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jin-Roh View Post
    So enough of your smug "like it or not" attitude. Everyone here is fully aware of the situation in regards to SWTOR.
    Well from seeing what ppl are talking they obviously aren't aware of the situation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jin-Roh View Post
    The only reason the servers boomed back up a few months back is because of the galactic starfighter update
    Lol , I came back for the ~3rd time because I missed swtor , couldn't care less about the GSF most of the guild I was in wasn't excited for that either ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jin-Roh View Post
    That's always the case with updates in games. The population will always have a large boost when it comes to new content, very good patches and of course the change from P2P to F2P.
    Well seeing as how every one is jumping on the hatewagon about it's boring combat (which is strange since don't see ppl saying that about wow combat) changing from p2p to f2p shouldn't be a factor , cause if you don't like it , you don't like it O.o



  17. #17
    Norrin Radd's Nerd Rage Reputation: 99
    Ryukiri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    1,677
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    actually wow combat is also boring and i hate that game. i just never mention wow at all because i hate that game.

  18. #18
    Forum PvPer Reputation: 610

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    11,357
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryukiri View Post
    actually wow combat is also boring and i hate that game. i just never mention wow at all because i hate that game.
    you're silly
    wow combat is the best tab-targetting combat along with archeage.

    no matter how much content they pump into the game, the core gameplay will always be atrocious.
    i've honestly never seen worse tab-target combat, and i've played every copy-paste grinder out there.

  19. #19
    Link's a Hippie! Reputation: 16
    Yrandir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    688
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Wow, so much hate. The game is doing great, it may not be the best combat they're is, i agree. But combat doesnt make this game fun, i enjoyed the story the most, more so if you played kotor 1 and 2. And the pve is fun too, all the dungeons are plain, true but follow an interesting story line them self. As im not a pvp player i will not comment on this. But the game doesn,t deserve the hate you guys give it. It seems the most of you guys never reached higher levels then level 15, i dont know. I enjoy the game very much. They added a lot of stuff en continue to do so. Despite its failure at launch. But even so, you will always have haters and fan boys, stop trying to convince each other, even though im guilty also. As said before, the question "will housing save swtor?" Is an invalid question because it doesnt need saving. Although i agree that housing will not make a difference for the game, but the expansion has more to offer.

    Btw jin-roh and lezax, just stop.
    Smile Tomorrow will be worse - Murphy's law

  20. #20
    Bongo Crazy Kong Reputation: 10
    vaaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    236
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yrandir View Post
    Wow, so much hate. The game is doing great, it may not be the best combat they're is, i agree. But combat doesnt make this game fun, i enjoyed the story the most, more so if you played kotor 1 and 2. And the pve is fun too, all the dungeons are plain, true but follow an interesting story line them self. As im not a pvp player i will not comment on this. But the game doesn,t deserve the hate you guys give it. It seems the most of you guys never reached higher levels then level 15, i dont know. I enjoy the game very much. They added a lot of stuff en continue to do so. Despite its failure at launch. But even so, you will always have haters and fan boys, stop trying to convince each other, even though im guilty also. As said before, the question "will housing save swtor?" Is an invalid question because it doesnt need saving. Although i agree that housing will not make a difference for the game, but the expansion has more to offer.

    Btw jin-roh and lezax, just stop.
    After reading this whole topic I wanted to to make note....You tried to explain why you enjoyed ToR, but all you could come up with was the story line...Why wouldent you just play a single player game. What is trying to be said here is that as an mmo it is dead, yes storylines are good but without the elements of the "mmo" side of things being done right, its is just a fish, belly up.

  21. #21
    Manic's Maniacal Machine Reputation: 102
    DarkLight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,917
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    A game like this with such a big name isn't or won't die in a hurry, It needs to have a revamp on game play, housing will attract people to play it again, but the game still needs some hard work in its updates.

  22. #22
    Ape for Diddy Reputation: 45
    neomazoku's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    266
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    Because they spent a TON of money making the game. They are gaining money but it will take a while to break even.
    After that happens, or it passes an acceptable point of loss, I would expect a shutdown.
    I read that SWTOR broke even a while ago and is actually EA's third highest source of income from games behind FIFA and Sims. Can't remember where I read it though so take it with a grain of salt. I definitely remember that they made 139+ mil in microtransactions in 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    The only reason I can stand doing it in ArcheAge is because of all of the other features that make the game interesting and fun. It's giving me the same feeling that SWG gave, that Wurm and Mortal Online gave, and the feeling that Age of Wushu gave
    You're a more patient man than me then. The grinding in Archeage was terribly boring and the game is so restrictive with its sandbox. It's like the game's mantra is "YOU CAN DO ANYTHING...as long as you do it our way

  23. #23
    Insert Forgotten Title here Reputation: 131
    Riz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Zillyhoo
    Posts
    4,006
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    But, as it stands, SWTOR feels like an MMO that came AFTER its time.
    Because it is. As I recall it went into development sometime around WoW's Burning Crusade expansion, and any amount of playtime shows that(Poorly paced questing, no dual-spec at launch, wonky class-balance just to name a few issues.).

    Honestly, I still want this game to do well. But I also want Bioware to stop pretending they know what decent writing is(This will never happen.).

    [19:45] ♥Moloko Lynx♥: Flight sims would even suit you, Riz. You seem to have the sensibilities of an old man.
    Member since May 8, 2004.

  24. #24
    Ape for Diddy Reputation: 24

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    256
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Oh, SWTOR. If only you took a few pages from SWG you could of been awesome. That and didn't use the typical MMO point and click combat scheme.
    Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

  25. #25
    King Furry Reputation: 432
    Cingal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    12,568
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    I remember raising concerns about the combat when it was first announced with trailers and stuff.


    People didn't take my insight too kindly.
    And if the cloud bursts, thunder in your ear.

    You shout and no one seems to hear.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •