Thread: Looking for MMORPG-players for my Master Dissertation on MMORPG’s

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Default Looking for MMORPG-players for my Master Dissertation on MMORPG’s

Hey, everyone!

I’m writing my Master dissertation on MMORPG’s and I was wondering if you, as MMORPG-players, could help me out? Could you please fill in this survey about MMORPG’s? It will only take 10 minutes of your time.

Everything you fill in will be processed anonymously and will not be used for commercial purposes.

Here is the link: This survey was closed on the 30th of March at 4PM (GMT+1)

More than 1150 people participated in this survey. So thank you to all who participated!

You can expect the results between the 25-30th of June on this forum (because by then I will have finished my oral defense of my master dissertation and my exams)
    Last edited by Shana16; 03-30-2014 at 02:28 PM.

Link's a Hippie! Reputation: 143

why do I get the feeling you are a company trying to make a game that fits MMO players and not a student trying to get their master degree?
    My feet hurt and I'm having trouble peeing.

I'm really a student. I go to the University of Antwerp in Belgium.

Link's a Hippie! Reputation: 143

Well you'd make a terrible video game creator but a great advertising man.
    By great I mean terrible great, like someone who people hate.
    My feet hurt and I'm having trouble peeing.

Don't worry, I would never ruin a good game And I definitely don't want to be hated...

Detective Kirby Reputation: 10

I'll gladly answer your questions if you posted them on this thread. I checked the link that you've provided and to me it looks like something that's not done by a student. So, yeah I think yuniun and I has the same hunch about this. Oh, and I'm not saying that what you're doing is truly evil, It's just that if you really want to be a great game designer, you should jump in the water as well. You must really love gaming and if you're well exposed to a lot of great games out there, you could point out which sells or not to gamers.

Dixie Banana Bar Reputation: 15

I also really doubt you're a student, or at the very least your main objective is not about MMORPGs in general but advertising in them. The survey pretty much reeks of an ad firm / publisher looking for a way to make money off ads in MMOs.

And yes, I did take the entire survey. It was painless. Just thought I'd say it's about the advertising, and not the MMO experience in general.

Spoiler: I hate ads in games. Completely cheapens the experience.

Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 21

I don't see what is so "suspicious" about the survey because to me, it seems very much orientated towards a student doing their marketing unit. The only thing that would concern me is that the address is .eu but having typed .eu in place of .be, it redirects me to the University of Antwerp main page anyway. On a survey related note, it was a very good and interesting survey! Especially where it asked our differing opinions on how appropriate advertising is within different genres

Sandman's Slave Reputation: 80

... I lost interest midway through... ;(
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you. My 3D Character Artist Folio

Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 24

As someone who did a bunch of these in college, this is almost certainly done by a student. You guys are way too paranoid.

I think advertising would be great in F2P MMOs. I would happily watch a 30s ad or something for a +10% exp boost. Honestly I don't have the slightest clue why this isn't a thing yet (at least not in any game I've seen).

Sandman's Slave Reputation: 80

I think 9 Dragons had ads in-game. It was horrible ;P
    Big slow-loading ads pop-upon your screen pretty much blocking the entire view. And you gotta wait 3-5 secs before you can close it. For nothing. Nope. No +10% Exp boost or any of that crap. Just, you could pay to not seethe ads :P
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you. My 3D Character Artist Folio

Illgamez Insomniac Reputation: 132

Quote Originally Posted by arapanasati View Post
    As someone who did a bunch of these in college, this is almost certainly done by a student. You guys are way too paranoid.

I think advertising would be great in F2P MMOs. I would happily watch a 30s ad or something for a +10% exp boost. Honestly I don't have the slightest clue why this isn't a thing yet (at least not in any game I've seen).
    They did this in some games actually.. 2Moons (Dekaron NA before it went Global) had an Advertisement Mode that would show you advertisements on the top of your screen but give you additional EXP (like 10 or 20%). They removed it a long time ago as it was.. pretty weird.

http://news.************/content/200...73241278.shtml

* The censored part is m m o site. c o m. Not sure why they censor it..
    Current Games:

WoW
    No Man's Sky (PC)

Waiting for:

Chronicles of Elyria (PC)

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 279

When I see an in-game ad I think "trash".
    If it's on a banner at the side of the website or a marquee at the side of a patcher window, then I don't mind. But as soon as it obstructs what I'm doing I find a way to close it and if not... Let's just say I quit Lost Saga because one day they made a patch to give 2-3 quest/rewards every time you level-up and I was level 50 so I got a hundred pop-ups and quit before closing them all (there are no levels in Lost Saga but my point is that I hate pop-ups and I hate ads that are out-of-place). Ads belong on the side of a website, and should not obstruct the game.

I gained respect for one developer when he replied to my advertising inquiry with:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Vogt
    Thanks. I do think it's because I try to run a _community_ first, and
    a game second. And part of that is the "no ads" policy. Friends don't
    show friends ads, unless they're very funny.
    P.S. m m o site is censored cuz it's onrpg's competitor.
    Last edited by Phenoca; 03-21-2014 at 07:34 AM.

Thank you all for filling in the survey! And yes, once again I'm a student, thanks to those who believe me :P

Also thank you for the interesting comments on advertising in games, that is indeed a big part of this survey (apart from the motivations of playing MMORPG's).

@amalager: indeed, I do love gaming, otherwise I probably wouldn't have picked this topic

Lockhart’s are forever Reputation: 60

Filled it out. Real-life-advertisements in MMOs are very unpleasent. They pull you out of the whole fantasy-atmosphere that's going on around you. Now, it might be quite enjoyable if players could advertise their shops ingame (combined with a great crafting and gathering system). Real advertisements would better fit in sport/race games or even shooters - basically any game, that plays in our current, real world.

Are you allowed to publish the numbers when you finished your dissertation? I would love to see the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by bullit View Post
    Filled it out. Real-life-advertisements in MMOs are very unpleasent. They pull you out of the whole fantasy-atmosphere that's going on around you. Now, it might be quite enjoyable if players could advertise their shops ingame (combined with a great crafting and gathering system). Real advertisements would better fit in sport/race games or even shooters - basically any game, that plays in our current, real world.

Are you allowed to publish the numbers when you finished your dissertation? I would love to see the outcome.
    I think I can, but for certainty I'll check with my professor if I can use the exact numbers. I'll let you know.

Detective Kirby Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Shana16 View Post
    Thank you all for filling in the survey! And yes, once again I'm a student, thanks to those who believe me :P

Also thank you for the interesting comments on advertising in games, that is indeed a big part of this survey (apart from the motivations of playing MMORPG's).

@amalager: indeed, I do love gaming, otherwise I probably wouldn't have picked this topic
    Glad to hear that you're really into gaming. Now regarding ads, instead of placing them as some sort of a pop-up, another alternative is product placement in-game. Like they can provide an item that's labeled something like "coke" and it gives you additional stuff than just recover your hp.

I've talked with my professor today and I can post the numbers I'll post a summary of my results on this forum in June, when I've finished my dissertation.

Game Journalist Reputation: 490

If I do the survey, can I move in with you? You pay all the expenses, of course.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or ******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Quote Originally Posted by Shana16 View Post
    I've talked with my professor today and I can post the numbers I'll post a summary of my results on this forum in June, when I've finished my dissertation.
    That's great news!
    What are you studying? Psychology?
    Really interesting topic, that you picked there.

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    If I do the survey, can I move in with you? You pay all the expenses, of course.
    What?... Am I missing something?

Game Journalist Reputation: 490

What?... Am I missing something?
    No, you haven't missed anything. I'm just asking a random person on the internet to let me live with them, on top of paying for my plane ticket and food cost.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or ******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    No, you haven't missed anything. I'm just asking a random person on the internet to let me live with them, on top of paying for my plane ticket and food cost.
    Well, that sure is an interesting way of getting around. This forum is suuper weird today.. o.O

I study Communication Sciences, we did get a bit of psychology (a very small bit) but mostly it is about media use and media effects and such.

About the moving in part: No...just no. Haha You can fill in the survey thou

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 5

Quote Originally Posted by arapanasati View Post

9 dragons when hosted by acclaim used to hit you with adds on load screens as well as everytime you rested to gain resources back your minimap became an add, was honestly really well done advertising I am not sure why I havent seen more of this as 9d was a very long time ago but I thought it was something I was going to see all the time after seeing it in 9d but we just havent seen it.

Again a really big thanks to all those who filled out the survey. I'm closing this survey tomorrow (30/03) around 4PM (GMT+1 time). So anyone who wants to fill in the survey can still do this today and your participation will of course be appreciated. I'll also let you know tomorrow when in June you can expect the results.