So I haven't gamed in a while, I know you've all read a bunch of threads like these but I'll try my luck and give as much detail as I can to help. The reason I'm asking is I'm not sure on whats new, what the disappointments are etc.
I stopped gaming for about a year, decided to try out a few games, heres what I'm looking for in games/dislikes/likes.
I very much enjoy playing solo, all content solo if possible but I have no issue grouping for stuff.
- PvP, very engaged pvp where skill matters mostly. Enjoy being able to out think my opponent, strategically use my spells/abilities not just press 1-5 and hope that works. Stuns/dazes/gap closer use etc. Using the terrain to block their view and place yourself elsewhere. Open world is great, flag for pvp mode on/off is nice, arenas/battlegrounds are alright but aren't my top pick.
- PvE, to a certain extent I enjoy questing, mostly killing stuff. Dislike run to A, talk to B, run to C, go back talk to D at A. The end. I enjoy dungeons if they are actually a challenge, 20 people beating on a boss isn't a challenge, individual skill shining is what I like. I like when you're forced to think on the spot about heals/dps/aggro etc.
- Mages, love playing a mage/spell caster. Ex of mages in games I enjoyed; Allods loved their mage, not psy. WoW; Enjoyed their mage minus the 10000minute spell casting and having only 1 spell as a primary spam basically but overall decent. Forsaken World, loved their mages. Perfect World; Still my fav mage to play out of any game. GW2; Elementalist seemed great but due to balance and how under performing they are I avoided it, general idea was great though.
- Solo content, I don't want to be forced to have to do a dungeon in order to progress that involves me being stuck with people. I wanna group up on my own terms basically, I don't mind doing dungeons etc with people I just don't want to be stuck at a certain level or area spamming "LF FB65"(PWI). Though I enjoy working with ppl sometimes, just a choice is what I mean.
- Graphics, I can run high end graphics. I don't like graphics such as Eden Eternal or Ethersaga. They are just weird to me, normal run of the mill characters like PWI/GW2/Allods even. Just not like cartoony derp derp. Though graphics overall, terrain etc are important.
- Not P2W, although I can toss money at a game and not think twice. I rather work in the game for my stuff rather than spend what I work for in real life on it, ya know? I'll buy a game/sub to a game, perhaps purchase a mount. I just dislike buying 'power' or when someone decides they wanna buy 'power' and stomps everyone and you have no choice but to buy it also.
- Population. Important of course.
- Updates/content. Dont wanna hit end game and be like hmm re-roll/troll in major cities.
- WSAD movement of course, idc about auto walk/auto flight but they are always a bonus. Not interested in the aim with cursor to hit type of thing, rotating screen to face them in order to attack is fine.
I think that kind of describes what I wish for, hopefully it helps you lot out.
Considering; Dragon nest for some odd reason, doubtful though. Also considering Allods sub server, not sure how that is or how it's doing especially with the change to mail.ru or whatever.
Anything else just ask, I've never stuck with a single game for more than 2-3 months really. They just don't keep my attention long.
Hey, obviously, you've already played GW2.. what's wrong with it?
Also, ESO comes to mind: Amazing PvP (all you asked for + PvP-quests), engaging quests (starts out with "public bosses" - but later you'll have to kill them in smaller groups or even solo), sorcerer is my favourite class so far, the main-story seems to be soloable, WASD-movement, graphics are good and it most likely will be highly populated. It's P2P and ESO seems to split the crowd: Some love it, some hate it. So, if you didn't have to chance to test it already, I'd highly recommend waiting for a trial period before making a purchase, that you might regret.
You could also take a look at TERA. Boring quests, but everything else seem to fit your request. They're advertising a patch with a new class, so the population should be fine too.
Other than that, AION always seems to be worth a try.
I never tried Allods, so I can't tell you much about it, but I played Dragon Nest for a while. The quests are suuper boring. It's just running the same instances over and over again. The PvP is fun though.
GW2, was great but it just seemed to lack something for me. Everything was pretty flawless, the PvP wasn't too bad but overall I just felt like there was a lot lacking. Maybe it's just the 'Hearts' or Story or events for levelling, they just didn't seem as engaging as some games. I don't know how to explain it really ahha, I'd take a second look one day though forsure.
I'd have to look a bit more into ESO, from what I seen briefly seemed very first person, I like to see my character. However if I can zoom out and see my character that's perfect, appreciate the info on it. I'll give it a further look.
Tera seemed great on initial look but the 'cross-hair' type of thing for aiming your skills looked more frustrating and annoying than it did anything else, though if it's something easily over looked and don't notice it or I got the wrong idea of it's aiming from watching videos I'd also give it a look, everything else about it seemed very nice.
Aion is a no go for me sadly, the movements felt weird if that makes sense. Though I only got to one level, I was also on a terrible computer when I did try Aion so that may have been a few reasons to dislike it. I got a new computer now.
Yeah, with the merge to RU I'm not sure on Allods. If anyone here plays the Sub server currently, I'm from NA, any PM's or posts with some information would be great.
Thanks for the reply, I'll give ESO and Tera a greater look now, especially ESO due to what you've described!
Maybe you want to consider Champions of Regnum? Some of our players are from your background of preferences :-
- "PvP, very engaged pvp where skill matters mostly....": Regnum matches your description perfectly. Regnum's pvp is based off DAOC (stuns/dazes/obstacles etc)
- "PvE, to a certain extent I enjoy questing...": Sadly, Regnum's pve + questing is pretty basic. But its fairly fast to get into the warzone and pvp (about 8-10 hours solo questing lets you start in wz at a low level). The pve monsters do need a little thought, but there are a lot of them to grind on.
"- Mages, love playing a mage/spell caster....": yup Regnum has mages matching ur description.
"- Solo content, I don't want to be forced to have to do a dungeon in order to progress...": yup Regnum lets u solo qgrind on ur own. Go to war or group up whenever u like too. The choice is yours.
"- Graphics, I can run high end graphics. I don't like graphics such as Eden Eternal...": Regnums gfx are full 3d but kind lesser detailed and more sharp/slick than say WoW. The gfx is very immersive if u listen to the ambient noise.
"- Not P2W, although I can toss money at a game and not think twice...": Regnum is not considered to be pay to win. But.. everyone usually ends up buying $5 for a permanent munt (all mounts go th same speed). New players get a 1 week free mount to try the game out.
"- Population. Important of course...": Regnum has between 300-1,000 player sonline all the time. (English server is about 200-500).
"- Updates/content. Dont wanna hit end game and be like hmm re-roll/troll in major cities...": Regnum's endgame is endless faction RvR open pvp.
"- WSAD movement of course,.." Regnum uses wasd movement.
anyway feel free to ask questions if u feel like it.
ps - skip TESO,, they will take years to iron out pvp balance. regnum has it all worked out already.
Be warned - I am a major player of Regnum Online the mmo. I've been playing it for about 2 years and rarely go without logging in at least once a day. You can also look at good alternatives to Regnum such ase Aion online and Aika Online.