Facebook to Acquire Oculus VR for $2 Billion

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 567

Quote Originally Posted by queenvoo View Post
    it's nice to hate on things. Especially people with way too much wealth/money?
    Well, venture capitalism has played a role in getting many many companies started. However facebook never found any use for that money from their investmentors to create sustainable revenues. So what are they doing now? They play venture capitalists. How is that a good thing? They are quadrupling the risk involved and are a useless middleman that adds no value.

As soon as they actually strike gold they will just cash out on it like zuck basically did on the IPO.

Basically they have money, they can't do anything usefull to generate interest, so they just panic-buy random crap. All in the desperate hope of paying for the rent of their already running massive datacenters, when some years in the future, they will be doing an aequivalent of a massive yard-sale.

Ponzi would be proud...
    Last edited by Ronin; 03-26-2014 at 08:33 PM.

Stay frosty.

Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 141

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Well, venture capitalism has played a role in getting many many companies started. However facebook never found any use for that money from their investmentors to create sustainable revenues. So what are they doing now? They play venture capitalists. How is that a good thing? They are quadrupling the risk involved and are a useless middleman that adds no value.

As soon as they actually strike gold they will just cash out on it like zuck basically did on the IPO.

Basically they have money, they can't do anything usefull to generate interest, so they just panic-buy random crap. All in the desperate hope of paying for the rent of their already running massive datacenters, when some years in the future, they will be doing an aequivalent of a massive yard-sale.

Ponzi would be proud...
    IIRC Facebook's value was $40,000,000,000 when the stock prices where at it's lowest point afterwards they jumped about 50%; only going down a few points since this announcement. Some sites actually report that Facebook's current estimated value is over $100,000,000,000. However, as I said in the CB this morning, Facebook is likely to die in the distant future. They experienced a -3% growth of active users in the last quarter, but still remain the #1 social network with over 83% of it's users either active or frequent. Facebook's move to buy Instagram was also a genius one because Instragram is experiencing rapid growth being up almost 30% in the last quarter. What Facebook is doing is tying itself to all these services so that it cannot die. That goes against everything you just said. Facebook is forcing interest, not panic-buying. It's basically G+ & Youtube, but Facebook came first and Instagram followed.

All in all it's smarter than what Myspace & Bebo tried to do.
    # ᴛ ʜ ᴇ ʏ ᴄ ᴀ ʟ ʟ ᴍ ᴇ ᴛ ʜ ᴇ s ᴏ ʀ ᴄ ᴇ ʀ ᴇ ʀ s ᴜ ᴘ ʀ ᴇ ᴍ ᴇ ʙ ᴇ ᴄ ᴀ ᴜ s ᴇ ɪ ' ᴍ s ᴏ s ᴛ ʀ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴇ.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 567

Quote Originally Posted by Phanein View Post
    That goes against everything you just said. Facebook is forcing interest, not panic-buying.
    Instagram was ok, but that's really not the thing we are talking about here.
    (As far as it goes though, facebook needs instagram. They would have been better of not selling out. Instagram needs facebook, like it needs a bad foot, a shot liver and a glass eye. Same for g+ and yt.)
    It might be a bit confusing as I wrote it, because I was not making a clear distinction between fb the company and fb the website.

I personally see the website as some sort of cancer.

And yes they are panic buying. They buy more stuff than they come up with. Of course saying "panic" is pure pathos. My point was that they are buying more products and they are not developing anything worthwhile. Who gives them money? I wouldn't.
    A company that has no real product and line of income buys rights to unfinished products and other companies that have no line of income, for completely outrageous prices. Why do I say "panic buy"? It's pretty much their only option to stay relevant, as long as they don't magically start to innovate on their own.

The people who are throwing money at this are not doing it, because the company is worth anything at all. They are doing because of the reknown of the brand name only. If you look at how much it would cost to recreate all their services without the brand and IP crap attached, it's pretty much worthless.
    Zuck wasn't hiding their balance-sheet for years for fun.

There are enough people willing to gamble. Most of them don't care about risks involved and most of them get hyped by the idea of the outrageous share's price easily.
    I personally however can't see a way how to call that stock cheap. People who bet on it getting even more expensive as it already is are just speculating.
    Last edited by Ronin; 03-27-2014 at 12:25 AM.

Stay frosty.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123