Helping a friend build himself a gaming rig.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 121

Post Helping a friend build himself a gaming rig.

I'm long winded and like to be descriptive, skip to TL;DR if you desire, I won't mind.

Howdy Snow and friends, my friend came to me wanting me to select parts for him to put together for a gaming pc. $800 budget, and he wants it to run the current top games at max or near.(excluding cyrsis and such)
    "sure" I said, not thinking it would be too difficult being that my computer from '10 can run most newer games at high(not ultra/max) or highish settings(excluding crysis and BF4 DX11) with max draw distance at a stable 50-55 fps and that was less than $800.

Sadly it seems I'm having a bit more trouble than anticipated. After looking at and comparing parts it seems that a full build at $800 is leaving me with either bottlenecking or poor longevity.

Then I remembered I have my old GTS 450 card. Capable, can run tESO on highish(polished but lacking good shadows and such to keep framerate) which is one of his anticipated games. He can use my old card, save up a little for a few months and get something like a GTX 770 while avoiding bottlenecking and still having longevity both in current performance and future upgrades.

So..
    TL;DR
    GPU-less tower, with intent to put something along the lines of GTX 760 or 770 in it down the road while a GTS 450 holds the line. Want your opinions&thoughts, as I don't stay in the know since I simply build as I need to. Asking for "proofreading" and possible suggestions, really.

(Total: $748.90)
    I would have gone with the tower I have, but what with his higher end performance desires more free space+better cord management would be desirable.

Thanks fellas

Sandman's Slave Reputation: 70

Change the processor to an i5-4670K, it will make that motherboard incompatible though. If you're hellbent on using ASRock, then here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157303

along with the processor I just suggested. 1155 socket is compatible with 3000 series fans.
    Last edited by coldReactive; 03-26-2014 at 10:25 AM.

Only plays Burst Magic DPS Classes and Healers.
    Playing MMO: FFXIV (Ragnarok)
    Waiting On: EverQuest Next, FFXV, KH3 Saving For: An Epic Computer / PS Vita

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 121

Quote Originally Posted by coldReactive View Post
    Change the processor to an i5-4670K, it will make that motherboard incompatible though. If you're hellbent on using ASRock, then here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157303

along with the processor I just suggested. 1155 socket is compatible with 3000 series fans.
    Haha the ASrock is solely due to overall good reviews from what I've read.

I'll take the suggestion into consideration, thanks coldReactive.

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 384

My advice to you, never cheap out on a motherboard. Even if it's a budget build. You'll gain access to a lot more beneficial features not doing so.

Get rid of that fan and CD reader and just download Windows through their website and make a bootable thumb drive instead. Now you can put 100$ into a motherboard.

Also if you're stuck on that motherboard get the cooler master n200 case instead.
    Last edited by TreyTrey12; 03-26-2014 at 03:18 PM.

Nick is a wanker. Reputation: 596

Cheap ASRock motherboard... you'd better pick another one. ASRock MoBos are only good when they're in the higher price range... (like the 100USD ones, not like the 400USD gaming MoBos fyi)

[My Anime List] | [last.fm] | [xfire] | [Steam]
    Quote Originally Posted by duby View Post
    i have no clue as to what a paragraph is

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

ASRock motherboards are great. Make sure you don't get a budget one based on general reviews overall. You'll be much happier with results of a superior mobo.

Bongo Crazy Kong Reputation: 10
    Where ever you will live, I will find you

Same here I used Asrock Fatal1ty 990fx before and it was a useful MOBO.

My PC specs:
    Processor: AMD FX 4300 3.8GHZ QUAD CORE
    Graphic Card: Powercolor Devil R9 270x 2gb ddr5 256bit
    RAM: 2 pcs. of Corsair Vengeance 8gbx2 ddr3 1333mhz
    Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0

Nick is a wanker. Reputation: 596

Quote Originally Posted by JigsawPuzzle View Post
    Same here I used Asrock Fatal1ty 990fx before and it was a useful MOBO.
    That's not a budget MoBo so technically, you shouldn't worry about it.
    Asrock MoBos beneath 100USD are to avoid generally. They're getting better but they'll keep their reputation for a while.

[My Anime List] | [last.fm] | [xfire] | [Steam]
    Quote Originally Posted by duby View Post
    i have no clue as to what a paragraph is

A Shrubbery Reputation: 141

Quote Originally Posted by SnOwBunZz View Post
    That's not a budget MoBo so technically, you shouldn't worry about it.
    Asrock MoBos beneath 100USD are to avoid generally. They're getting better but they'll keep their reputation for a while.
    Whats with the purple name, Bunz?

I'm honestly surprised, OP, that no one has told you to drop the windows os from the price and just "get" it somewhere else. Also drop the compound, fan, & disc drive. If you have any flash storage laying around just use that to install the OS or temporally let him use your DVD drive. Look, I just saved you $200. Now upgrade to a Haswell i5 and upgrade the MB.
    # ᴛ ʜ ᴇ ʏ ᴄ ᴀ ʟ ʟ ᴍ ᴇ ᴛ ʜ ᴇ s ᴏ ʀ ᴄ ᴇ ʀ ᴇ ʀ s ᴜ ᴘ ʀ ᴇ ᴍ ᴇ ʙ ᴇ ᴄ ᴀ ᴜ s ᴇ ɪ ' ᴍ s ᴏ s ᴛ ʀ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴇ.

Master Chief's Windex Reputation: 10

A budget MOBO depends on the users how many GPU he will use if he wanted crossfire or SLI Asrock Fatal1ty is good to go, and it is more cheaper compare to ASUS