Do you still expect MMOs to be "Fun"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 47

Default Do you still expect MMOs to be "Fun"?

Reference: http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/03...mos-to-be-fun/

Though the game is a bit out of our wheelhouse, Massively reader WNxArcticwolf tipped us off to a GDC talk this week about Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry, in which the developers argued that games no longer have to be fun. Admittedly, the developers are were attempting to justify confronting players with hard choices and uncomfortable situations via the plot, but the brazenness of the statement struck me over here in MMOland too. How many MMOs actually promise us fun when they're rattling off their feature lists? They'll promise grinds and raids and PvP, but as players, we process those things as achievements and challenges, as activities that were satisfying to have done, not fun to do. In fact, fun is almost seen as a dirty word, something casuals might seek.
    Onto my opinion on it:
    I think I do, I retraced as to why I played Wakfu and still tempted to give Rift another shot. I asked the same question before diving into both of them. "How is the grouping? is it fun?" Because this is the only thing that matters to me in the long run, if I have fun with a community I don't regret playing the game/burning my time with a game(Which is ironic for what happen with Wakfu.) Anyways, I'm just going to drop the question.

Do you actually expect MMOs to be a fun experience, or are we playing for something else entirely?
    Last edited by Heartyace; 03-29-2014 at 11:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quote
    I'm usually not at fault, so I don't normally have the opportunity to apologize.
    Wakfu: Roxie Hubrecut

Sonicís Milkshake Reputation: 13

I only play games I consider fun. Fun is kind of hard to truly define. Is watching a show you enjoy fun? It might be in my perspective but not yours. I'd say anything you enjoy doing can be perceived as fun.

That said, most MMOs aren't fun, but some are.

やめてください! Reputation: 296

Yes, I expect MMOs to be fun. It is unrealistic for the same MMO to be fun for everyone though, since our definition of what is a fun activity varies from person to person. Some people find PvP extremely exciting while others hate it, some enjoy MMOs that give you the freedome to roleplay, some people think that's boring as heck. I believe it is when a developer tries to cater to everyone that a MMO ends up failing.

"Oh hey guys, here's our new MMO with a bunch of generic features that we will now list here. Of course, 95% of these features are found in every other MMO but we are unique because: something that isn't quite unique."

If you are playing a MMO and aren't having fun well... then I have no idea why you are playing it. Attachment? Nostalgia? Friends? Guild management? Status?

Rock Man Reputation: 32

As long as an MMO lets me kill other people and has broken exploitable systems it will always be fun for me.

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 80

Maybe the act of playing itself isn't fun. But the act of accomplishing is fun ? Like beating the game, satisfying and challenging boss fight, new fat loot or legendary gears ?

Ps. Didn't expect to see name of fellow guildmate pop-up here :P
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you.
    Pyr3D.com - My Folio
    ---

Bongo Crazy Kong Reputation: 30

I try to have fun in every MMO I try, giving them a legitimate shot before giving up, you really aren't going to find a very unique MMO these days so I try to enjoy each game for what it does differently then the last. For instance, I had fun in DDO because of the unique dungeons, and I had fun in Warhammer for the public quests. I have fun in Achaea for the roleplay and faction politics.

Currently Playing: Achaea

Sandman's Slave Reputation: 120

The leveling experience? no i haven't expected that to be fun in many years, end game however and pvp yes i fully expect it to be fun otherwise there's no point in playing.

Lockhartís are forever Reputation: 31

Only fun MMO's I've played are FFXI and FFXIV, most likely because of how you go through the stories.
    Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/daeoc
    Come and stop by sometime, I stream mainly JRPGs, WRPGs, Shooters, Horror, MMOs, and MOBAs. Currently, the focus is on JRPGs with a mixed bag of everything else.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

Quote Originally Posted by Heartyace
    Do you still expect MMOs to be "Fun"?
    I play to win. Even if I suck at something, I'm dedicated to self-improvement and competitive success.

Quote Originally Posted by article
    In fact, fun is almost seen as a dirty word, something casuals might seek.
    Or as an excuse for being stupid.

Emotionally, games are for gratification, distraction, addiction, and ego. On the internet my actions produce more results than IRL.

P.S. lol I used [question][/question] instead of [quote].
    Last edited by Phenoca; 03-30-2014 at 05:36 PM.
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 184

If it isn't fun why play? Really I see no point in playing if I can't enjoy it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast