Yay, ADHD!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 88

Default Yay, ADHD!

So, thinking for quite a while that I had ADHD, I wen't to the doctor and it was confirmed. I'm a bit embarrassed that I'm 27 and have been prescribed Ritalin but at the same time I am quite excited to start taking it tomorrow.

Hopefully, it will have a positive effect on my ability to focus. Meaning at least I can finish doing the things I enjoy. At most that it unlocks my brain and I can move things with my mind.

Anyone else focus impaired or have any related experience?

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

I've had trouble concentrating/sticking with things all my life (21 now). Haven't been diagnosed with anything. My mom told me I was tested for all that ADD stuff when I was like 5, and she never bothered to check again, even though I spent all of middle school and high school failing classes because I couldn't focus on doing my work I can't say if lack of interest is the issue, or if I just have actual troubles with concentration/attention/focus/whatever.

I look forward to seeing how it works out for you.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴ Reputation: 534

Diagnosed with severe ADHD. I'm currently on 20mg of Adderall XR and 100mg Strattera every day.

Hasn't improved my academic performance (4.0 college gpa before, still 4.0) but it has meant I can be MUCH more productive when I study. Now I can get my work done, and have time to enjoy friends and life. So overall my quality of life has significantly improved.

Side effects for me include lower libido, sleep trouble, sometimes I get downs as the Adderall wears off or I get over-stimulated and have to take a nap/just close my eyes for ~20 minutes as the Adderall kicks in.

Medicine for ADHD is great but it's only an aid. Getting proper sleep, nutrition and exercise does WONDERS for ADHD, and if you aren't getting those you will feel like crap on meds. Also, consider therapy to help you develop better time management and ADHD management for skills.

Meds aren't quite a long term solution. You will develop tolerance to the meds, and constantly increasing dosage can lead to issues with dependency and health problems. Getting the opportunity to break the unhealthy habits you have developed to cope with ADHD without the ADHD symptoms interfering is an incredible opportunity. Therapy is the best way to take advantage of that opportunity.

God speed.

Reading: Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
    Last read: You Just Don't Understand!: Women and Men in Conversations by Deborah Tannen (A MUST READ), A Child Named "It" by Dave Pelzer (NOT BAD), A Dance With Dragons by GRRM (4.5/5)

Interested in why I picked these books, or want to recommend me some more? Just pm me. I love books.

General Manager Reputation: 353

Wow I'm not used to seeing such a productive and beneficial response in the Lounge. I feel like I'm leaving this thread learning something.
    Id rather risk confusing some people than disappointing them. - Mark Jacobs

It's a sign you're a bad person if somebody else acted like you, you would hate them. - Swagger Pope

Follow my writing team at OnRPG.

Currently Playing: SMITE, Elsword
    History: FFXIV, Lost Saga, Prime World, Path of Exile, League of Legends, Wizardry Online, The Secret World, TERA, Planetside 2, C9, Dragon Nest, Forsaken World, Dungeon Defenders, Realm of the Titans, Eden Eternal, Vindictus, Champions Online, PockieNinja, Black Prophecy, Warhammer, Perfect World, Maplestory, Guild Wars, Anarchy Online, Ragnarok.

Support Pancreatic Cancer Research

Ape for Diddy Reputation: 30

I was diagnosed ADHD + tourrette's syndrome (compulsive muscle twitches) as a kid, but never took meds because my mom didn't want me to be zombied out. Like an above poster said, there are ways to combat it like getting good sleep, healthy diet and exercise, because ADHD can be directly linked to a seratonin chemical imbalance in the brain, with controls the dopamine (feel good) receptors, and exercise+healthy diet can naturally boost the seratonin chemical.

Currently Playing: Achaea

Easssssssy Livin' Reputation: 853

My current lady friend has it pretty bad. I can tell a day and night difference when she doesn't take her medicine. She gets very locked into a single task when she does...I sometimes have to repeat myself 4 times if shes reading something or looking at her phone. I like her a lot more when she isn't taking it, but it makes her feel much more comfortable and less overwhelmed so I don't try to sway her in either direction.

I probably have anti adhd if there is such a thing. Even when I should be hyper I'm still more chill than most people...I end up looking underappreciative or unenthusiastic. I'm actually fairly excited about a lot of things, I'm just not great at showing it. Kinda like Arnold's really weird cousin on hey Arnold.

Dunny 2014 Updated 10/19

Ride em Yoshi Reputation: 16

ADHD is a crock of shit, just like many of these diagnosis listed in the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders)
    Psychiatry is the pathologization of behaviors not deemed to fit culturally in our modern western society. Cant concentrate on your job or at school? Yeah well, maybe you just cant concentrate because they are not FUN and suck ass? From a young age on most children are send to public schools. They are forced there to "learn" shit they are not interested in. They are being taught to be obedient, follow rules, follow what the teacher says no matter how arbitrary, don't question, just obey. And then when one of these children cant concentrate they are diagnosed with a psychiatric disorder... Public schools are concentration camps and should be abolished. It's a crime against humanity.

Then when people are done to school usually all their interests and will for learning are crushed. They enter the workforce and work to make some boss richer while receiving some pathetic wages in return for the wealth they created. At the workplace they have to follow orders just like in school no matter how arbitrary, obey obey obey... do what your manager or boss says no matter how unreasonable. They have no control over their work and then people wonder again how they cant concentrate? How much they hate it? They are not allowed to enjoy the fruits of their labor, and there is no freedom or autonomy. Then again they wonder if something is amiss with them, and are diagnosed promptly and medicated to beat them into submission.

Psychiatry is a multi billion dollar business, no wonder it is in their interests to expand on diagnoses, to produce more medicine to "treat" them and profit handsomely from it. One only need to take a look at the DSM to see how ridiculous these "diagnosis" are.

Problem with authority? You got a "disorder".

Oppositional Defiant Disorder F91.3

Clinical Information

*A behavior disorder characterized by a persistent pattern of defiant, disobedient, and hostile behavior towards authority figures, manifested by a frequent loss of temper, arguing, becoming angry or vindictive, or other negativistic behaviors.

*A psychopathological disorder, usually beginning in childhood, consisting of negativism, disobedience, and hostile behavior toward authority figures.

*Recurrent pattern of negativistic, defiant, disobedient, and hostile behavior toward authority figures that persists for at least 6 months and is characterized by frequent occurrence of at least four of the following behaviors: losing temper, arguing with adults, actively defying or refusing to comply with requests or rules of adults, deliberately annoying others, blaming others for own mistakes, easily annoyed, angry or resentful; frequently attention deficit disorders and learning disorders are associated with this disorder.

Religious or Spiritual Problem Z71.8 [V62.89]

This category can be used when the object of clinical attention is a religious or spiritual problem. Examples include the discomfort that involves the loss or questioning of faith. Other problems that may be of clinical care problems associated with conversion to a new faith, or questioning of spiritual values ​​that may or may not necessarily be related to an organized church or religious institution.
    Cant get along with your siblings? You suffer from:
    V61.8 - Sibling Relational Problem F93.3

Arguments with your significant other?
    V61.1 -- Partner Relational Problem Z63.0.

Don't know what do with your life? Don't worry you suffer from:
    313.82 Identity Problem F93.8

And there are many more...

In the 19th century runaway slaves in the south were suffering from Drapetomania which I quote.
    If the white man attempts to oppose the Deity's will, by trying to make the negro anything else than "the submissive knee-bender" (which the Almighty declared he should be), by trying to raise him to a level with himself, or by putting himself on an equality with the negro; or if he abuses the power which God has given him over his fellow-man, by being cruel to him, or punishing him in anger, or by neglecting to protect him from the wanton abuses of his fellow-servants and all others, or by denying him the usual comforts and necessaries of life, the negro will run away; but if he keeps him in the position that we learn from the Scriptures he was intended to occupy, that is, the position of submission; and if his master or overseer be kind and gracious in his hearing towards him, without condescension, and at the same time ministers to his physical wants, and protects him from abuses, the negro is spell-bound, and cannot run away.
    And here is the "cure"

If treated kindly, well fed and clothed, with fuel enough to keep a small fire burning all night--separated into families, each family having its own house--not permitted to run about at night to visit their neighbors, to receive visits or use intoxicating liquors, and not overworked or exposed too much to the weather, they are very easily governed--more so than any other people in the world. If any one or more of them, at any time, are inclined to raise their heads to a level with their master or overseer, humanity and their own good requires that they should be punished until they fall into that submissive state which was intended for them to occupy. They have only to be kept in that state, and treated like children to prevent and cure them from running away
    This might seem ridiculous now but was different in these times, just like how we look at our society 100 years later now. I urge everyone to question everything in life, do research, and don't believe everything all these "experts" say. Make your own judgements and read read read!
    Last edited by Tyrias; 04-03-2014 at 07:59 AM.

Nick is a wanker. Reputation: 582

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrias View Post
    Psychiatry is a multi billion dollar business, no wonder it is in their interests to expand on diagnoses, to produce more medicine to "treat" them and profit handsomely from it. One only need to take a look at the DSM to see how ridiculous these "diagnosis" are.
    So stuff like PTSD, depression (real depression, not the teens' my life is so bad depression), etc are not real and just a tool for money?

[My Anime List] | [last.fm] | [xfire] | [Steam]
    Quote Originally Posted by duby View Post
    i have no clue as to what a paragraph is

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 88

Damn... Tyrias. Just damn...

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 567

Tyrias, there is a systematic difference between "disorder" and "problem"

Anyways, school is boring and teachers are often shitheads. I assume yours where, by what you wrote.
    Schools don't work 100%, because they are not to blame for your personality. If schools had that grave an impact, they would "just work" and we wouldn't talk here.

I don't like the world, where everyone is put into boxes either. The thing is, it's not "the system" that does this, it's people. Institutions don't enforce this kind of thinking. People are judgmental on their own. People are prejudicial on their own. Schools are not an essential part of creating people that are treating others inhumanely.
    However one thing is important to change all of that: Modern day humanism needs a collaborative approach, or it will unlikely ever be the normal.

Many schools are bad, or at the very least ineffective. No schools isn't the answer to that problem.

(And that education bores you is a good thing. You don't want to be specialized with children, it'even more "make or break" this way. Sure the kids are going to be bored most of the time. Yes, if boredom turns you into a violent rebel you won't fit into our society. However the problem is, you won't fit into any other either.)
    Last edited by Ronin; 04-03-2014 at 12:20 PM.

Stay frosty.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast