2014 Build - Opinions Wanted!

ChimaeraOne's Cookie Reputation: 10

Default 2014 Build - Opinions Wanted!

Hey guys,

I haven't had a properly functioning PC since August 2013. I also haven't been following any games/pc hardware but have had a nostalgic moment and want to get back into gaming.

I'd like to be able to run the latest games on max settings w/ 60FPS+ (the more the merrier, I can't stand playing anything under 60 FPS).
    I do enjoy video editing, but it is not a main priority or hobby.

This is what I have so far. I will be purchasing from a local store and having them build it as well (screw self-cable management lol). Budget is anywhere between $1,200 AUD - $1,500 AUD.

Oh and if there are any solid eye-candy cases, please send them my way as well

Thank you very much!

Elsa! :3 Reputation: 572

You need less watt on your PSU.
    Do you need a mATX case? Because you get other normal or full-sized high-performance cases for 150 as well.
    You also could drop some money from the fairly expensive MoBo. Motherboards around 120USD usually are good enough for your average gamer and have good OC capabilities.
    Since you're from Australia, use the saved money for a good CPU cooler. If you have some money left, you could also consider a stronger GPU?

Lastly, the next Intel and nVidia line-ups are a stone throw away (Q2 2014). Perhaps you are willing to wait a tad longer?

[My Anime List] | [last.fm] | [xfire] | [Steam]
    Quote Originally Posted by duby View Post
    i have no clue as to what a paragraph is

Quote Originally Posted by SnOwBunZz View Post
    You need less watt on your PSU.
    Do you need a mATX case? Because you get other normal or full-sized high-performance cases for 150 as well.
    You also could drop some money from the fairly expensive MoBo. Motherboards around 120USD usually are good enough for your average gamer and have good OC capabilities.
    Since you're from Australia, use the saved money for a good CPU cooler. If you have some money left, you could also consider a stronger GPU?

Lastly, the next Intel and nVidia line-ups are a stone throw away (Q2 2014). Perhaps you are willing to wait a tad longer?
    I thought I'd get a more powerful PSU as an investment. Depending on how much expendable money I have, I wanna get a second GPU.

Nope - as long as the case is beautiful, I'm happy. (I do like a simplistic style)

I also have a Noctua CPU cooler, if I was to use it in my new rig - I would just need to replace the thermal paste right?

2 GTX760s in SLIs will run fine on a 650W PSU of a good brand and model. :/ You only need over 850W for tri-SLI/XF or high end cards like 780s in SLI.
    Single stronger GPUs are preferred unless you run a widescreen gaming setup of at least 3 screens and using all of them at once for the game.

CPU cooler replacement isn't that simple (depending on your cooler) but your 350D has a backplate hole for easy replacement. In the best scenario it boils down to replacing the thermal paste so yea...

I can take a look for another case around the cost of your current one if you can give me the website of the store. I can't really recommend one if they don't stock it or if their price is higher than what I've linked.

Quote Originally Posted by SnOwBunZz View Post
    2 GTX760s in SLIs will run fine on a 650W PSU of a good brand and model. :/ You only need over 850W for tri-SLI/XF or high end cards like 780s in SLI.
    Single stronger GPUs are preferred unless you run a widescreen gaming setup of at least 3 screens and using all of them at once for the game.

CPU cooler replacement isn't that simple (depending on your cooler) but your 350D has a backplate hole for easy replacement. In the best scenario it boils down to replacing the thermal paste so yea...

I can take a look for another case around the cost of your current one if you can give me the website of the store. I can't really recommend one if they don't stock it or if their price is higher than what I've linked.
    Sounds good, I will drop to a 600/650W PSU then.

Also, was recommended to swap the mobo for a GIGABYTE GA-H87-D3H to save money.

Thoughts?

This is the store I will be purchasing from: http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

EDIT: Saw that they had the ASUS Z87-A MOBO on sale this weekend. Any significant advantages of this mobo of the GIGABYTE or ASUS Gryphon?

EDIT2: Doesn't seem like my store stocks the GIGABYTE mobo listed
    Last edited by Sashimi; 04-04-2014 at 08:11 PM.

Nevermind on the PSU... Messed it up with a GTX660TI (guess where the mix up happened )...
    Still, a 750W should be able to handle a 760 SLI.

On the website you've linked... I can't really find anything as their PDF list is quite poor. :/
    Especially if you're used to Newegg, Tigerdirect and Amazon standards.

So... Since you already have a good case, good CPU cooler and a good PSU, I'd say you're fine.

Roxane's Roadkill Reputation: 384

DO NOT SLI in a 350D. HEAT BOX. Although possible, it just isn't a good idea. Also because it's micro atx it might not fit that those huge gpu coolers. I know for a factif my titan were any taller I'd lose a pci E slot.
    Last edited by TreyTrey12; 04-05-2014 at 02:44 PM.
    We talked about love and what life could really be for me. When that sh-..is real you just know.

Thanks for that Trey, I'll keep it in mind if I do decide to go SLi.

Came across this PSU, much cheaper and 650W. Any review on the Corsair VS650 ATX? Couldn't seem to find a reliable one on the web.

Also going to go with a Fractal Design Define R4 case instead of the 350D.
    Last edited by Sashimi; 04-07-2014 at 08:55 AM.

Bongo Crazy Kong Reputation: 10
    Where ever you will live, I will find you

You can try HEC Z-power 650W it is more cheaper than the Corsair. Try to check the specs on their website.

My PC specs:
    Processor: AMD FX 4300 3.8GHZ QUAD CORE
    Graphic Card: Powercolor Devil R9 270x 2gb ddr5 256bit
    RAM: 2 pcs. of Corsair Vengeance 8gbx2 ddr3 1333mhz
    Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0