Looking at a whole crazy career change (TEFL Knowledge please?)

Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 22

Default Looking at a whole crazy career change (TEFL Knowledge please?)

Hello everyone. I don't mean to rant but I just finished school studying IT in Dec 2012, I didn't start my "career" until Aug 2013.. that's okay.. Cool. I have great coworkers, enviornment is alright but unfortunatly not much oppurtunity to grow, some dumb decisions being made internally... they're losing money... anyway.. I've pretty much been doing the same thing for the past 8 months or so and it's really getting to me already. I'm 24 (turning 25 soon) and It scares me that I'm going to be stuck here forever (I work in IT and I deal with alot of morons) I have hobbies (I do boxing after which makes me happy I really enjoy it) but anyway I've made enough money and I live at home that I can pay for my own shit for a little while but I also been thinking about getting into teaching english as a second language abroad, problem is I'm a tad worried that if I quit my job I'm going to regret it and I may not even like teaching.. or maybe going abroad may not be the experience I am looking for.. but anyway, I also don't know how to get started. HELP POR FAVOR!!

Elsa! :3 Reputation: 572

Stick with your job at the moment! At least you don't have to worry about money in the near future.

Abroad: try a couple of vacations for about a week in different parts of the world. That way, if you don't like it, you'll still have your job.

Teaching: ask a local school and let them know you are interested in teaching. They can help you out with most of the questions I think. Perhaps if a bit lucky, you can help or be a teacher as a volunteer for a while.
    Keep in mind that being a teacher can be a hit or miss... Especially if your first few years are teaching classes that drive you crazy.

[My Anime List] | [last.fm] | [xfire] | [Steam]
    Quote Originally Posted by duby View Post
    i have no clue as to what a paragraph is

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 69

Hola. Taco, Taco, Burrito, Taco, Taco.

I think the general rule is, if you are in a job for 3 years without the opportunity to advance you look for a new one.
    Quitting your job and blowing all of your saved money would be a bad idea.
    However, you can look into you other interests and keep your job until you know if you really want to make that change.

Illgamez Insomniac Reputation: 134

I know a few people who did the teaching English in Asia thing, and most of them loved it. Well, they all sort of loved teaching to begin with, so maybe that's why!
    You can find a lot of resources about doing your TEFL and teaching abroad on-line. You'll also find that there are a lot of things that you'd need to be careful about while teaching abroad as well.

Anyway, you did say that you deal with a lot of 'morons'... I don't know if you'd enjoy teaching then, aha.

What countries are you interested in?

Manic's Maniacal Machine Reputation: 92

My friends sister is teaching english in Japan, she is living happily with her husband and kid.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

I just realized the game in your avatar is Suikoden.

I hear jobs are boring... It's easier to keep working than it is to start again after being unemployed because seriously, who would want to? So I say keep the job because money is important and work ethics can be lost if you stay unemployed.
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 567

Grass is always greener?

I am not patient with other people that I have to deal with on my job -> I'm going to become a teacher?
    Well tbh, I would try to change my attitude in that regard, before I would change jobs. You might quite possibly find out that kids are even bigger morons than grown up people.

Stay frosty.