Your Idea of an Ideal MMO?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bongo Crazy Kong Reputation: 36

Default Your Idea of an Ideal MMO?

Literally 5 minutes ago I was lying in bed, watching Criminal Minds and spontaneously began brainstorming what my idea of an amazing MMO would turn out to be. Being a fan of the good ol' Medieval and early, early American times, my idea went something like this:

It's in the early 1620s, Pilgrims have landed a few years ago but a bustling society has yet to be made. You have arrived on a British ship with a few hundred other people, some ill, some near death and the lucky are in fine condition. You have been given your rations of food and a minimal amount of equipment to survive and make your own home. Once the ship captain sets you free, the land is yours to conquer.

You begin in a small town with the basics: a general store to barter with, a small inn that sells produce and meat, and a housing area that currently has a meager 40-50 log cabins. The docks are packed with people departing and arriving; barrels, nets, crates and fishing equipment are randomly placed all along the area.

The supplies given were some tattered clothes, a small some of cash, and a dull blade.

Features:
    -Completely open-world, minimal quests (the quests are essentially tasks given by citizens that are 100% optional).
    -The wilderness contains ravaging wildlife, unknown plants, and riches to be discovered.
    -Build a house, log by log in any style or shape you desire, given that you have the materials.
    -As time progresses, the world evolves at a specific rate (10x, 20x, 50x, etc. real time).
    -Custom servers can be hosted at ease, each being randomly generated.
    -Barter and trade with (actually intelligent) AI using coin, minerals, resources or possessions.
    -The game world is to scale with the actual U.S. providing almost endless exploration.
    -Tame wild beasts (not so easy).
    -Grow your own crops in your claimed plot of land, raise farm animals, produce milk, eggs, etc.
    -A working economy that's (close to) factually based off the U.S. during that time in real life and changes with time.
    -A horse carrier/post boy system that provides randomly generated news, participate in elections, run for mayor of your own town.
    -Communicate with Indians by either offering peace or death.
    -Day/Night cycle.
    -All civilians are killable, shops rob(bable?) but a bounty will be placed on your head that increases in popularity and price the more crimes you commit.
    -(adding more soon)

Plants in the wild can either be harmful or beneficial. Newly discovered areas, plants, minerals, animals are automatically written down in your "notebook" in order to keep track of progress.

This is currently all I could think of but once my brain starts to function properly again I'll try to add more that I feel would be a great addition.

Feel free to add ideas, criticize something or come up with an ideal MMO of your own! It doesn't exactly have to be currently reasonable, it just has to appeal to your tastes.
    Last edited by firemonk98; 04-09-2014 at 04:49 AM.

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 80

You should learn how to write a proper "Game Design Document".
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you.
    Pyr3D.com - My Folio
    ---

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

I do something similar almost every night. I sit in bed and imagine what my perfect MMO/game would be. Of course, my ideas and preferences change over time, so I don't know if there could ever really be a "perfect" game for me.

Recently, I've been thinking a lot about an Elder Scrolls MMO, or at least a multiplayer-capable and heavily mod-able Elder Scrolls game. Honestly, I think the later would work much better. I have a lot of fond memories of the Persistent World mod for Warband, and I think something similar done with an Elder Scrolls game would be perfect. That's why I'm hoping that sometime in the future, we'll see an Elder Scrolls game with built in multi-player that could be expanded and modded to allow for a large-scale (100-200 or more online players on a single server) numbers of players. Kinda similar with the Persistant Worlds of Neverwinter Nights 1/2, but with a more sandbox twinge.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[8/13]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Bongo Crazy Kong Reputation: 30

Quote Originally Posted by firemonk98 View Post

It's in the early 1620s, Pilgrims have landed a few years ago but Natives have yet to be systematically oppressed. You have arrived on a British ship with a few hundred African slaves, some ill, some near death and the lucky are in fine condition. You have been given your rations of food and a minimal amount of equipment to survive and make your own home. Once the ship captain sets you free, the land is yours to conquer. Every week, someone is accused of witchcraft and is burned at the stake.
    Edited for realism.

Currently Playing: Achaea

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

+1 Aktillum

I think my ideal online game would be League of Legends or Dragon Nest
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

Rock Man Reputation: 32

My ideal MMO - open beta Runes of Magic with a larger playerbase

Luigiís Pizza Reputation: 10

Open world
    At least 5 major cities at launch
    Players choose which of those 5 cities to start the game
    The further away you get from town the more dense and tough the enemies become
    No or at least very few NPCs
    Quests determined by what players are after
    Shops populated with player items
    No set classes, but weapon type determines what skills you can use
    Combat similar to monster hunter or raiderz
    No level cap but leveling has a very steep curve
    Each skill has its own individual level and a combination of your total skills determines the level number displayed to other characters
    Character design of black desert
    Tons of professions that require players to discover recipes through trial and error
    Very slow respawn rate on resources such as ore and plants so for a constant stream of them you must venture further from towns
    Passive enemies and aggressive enemies are a must
    Not low fantasy, there needs to be some mystical stuff
    Intricate cave system, not digging and stuff but a large cave that easy to get lost in is always fun

and lots more stuff that I can't write since I gotta go to work
    Just a friendly reminder to never ever play a game published by PWE(Perfect World Entertainment)

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 126

Ragnarok Online without renewal update, without bots, with position lag fixed, obvious skill bugs fixed and content frequently added.

Alternatively something similar to RO as in grind-based, exploration-based, lore-based and with fully random map-wide spawn locations but with new maps and lore so it's something new for a change.

Entropia Universe Journalist Reputation: 55

Quote Originally Posted by yuniuninuniun View Post
    Open world
    At least 5 major cities at launch
    Players choose which of those 5 cities to start the game
    The further away you get from town the more dense and tough the enemies become
    No or at least very few NPCs
    Quests determined by what players are after
    Shops populated with player items
    No set classes, but weapon type determines what skills you can use
    Combat similar to monster hunter or raiderz
    No level cap but leveling has a very steep curve
    Each skill has its own individual level and a combination of your total skills determines the level number displayed to other characters
    Character design of black desert
    Tons of professions that require players to discover recipes through trial and error
    Very slow respawn rate on resources such as ore and plants so for a constant stream of them you must venture further from towns
    Passive enemies and aggressive enemies are a must
    Not low fantasy, there needs to be some mystical stuff
    Intricate cave system, not digging and stuff but a large cave that easy to get lost in is always fun

and lots more stuff that I can't write since I gotta go to work
    You pretty much described entropia except that it is scifi w/ magic not fantasy w/ magic

Heads or Tails Reputation: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Narfi Hungry Willem View Post
    You pretty much described entropia except that it is scifi w/ magic not fantasy w/ magic
    And the fact you need to pay about $100 every week to get somewhere in the game...
    Nobody is born in this world to be alone! -Jaguar D. Saul

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast