Need your advice before creating an english version of our 2D browser MMORPG

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Question Need your advice before creating an english version of our 2D browser MMORPG

Hello to all RPG lovers.

I need your help and/or your opinion.
    With some friends I created 6 years ago a browser based 2D MMORPG (free to play). I will give you below more details along with some screenshots and videos but let me tell you first the purpose of this post. This game exists only in a french version so far and for a long time I had in mind to build an english version. But the priority was always the satisfaction of the existing community and all the improvements which were popping out of our minds (and sometimes out of the minds of the players).

For the first time since the beginning we are not working on a large upgrade (we have several small ones scheduled) and I thought that perhaps we could go on with this english version. I donít want to modify the existing server because I donít think youíll find comfortable to enter an existing French community rather I would like to create a new server with a new community.

There will be a lot of work to adapt the scripts and some money to spend for the translation ( I hope that a great part of it could be done by a professional for consistency).
    We are not a company but some people using our off-work time so before we start this project I want to make sure that itís worth it.
    In other words is there enough people interested to play this game ?

If you just want a look at the game you can check this video done quickly showing a little insight of the game: http://youtu.be/bdVze8aIJgc
    Or this one taken 2 years ago during a special event (at that time you had to click on the arrows around your character to move, now a right click in the general direction is enough).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiyBkXStiyQ

So letís me present you our baby and if you can take a little time to tell me that you are indeed interested by this kind of game (or not) or if you know someone who could be, I would greatly appreciate.

Your journey in this fantasy world begins when you wake up in the middle of a desert not remembering much. From this point you create your own destiny.

You will first be training in the desert camp before choosing one of the 4 elements to guide you. Then after some time in your elemental land you will go to the famous town of Melrath Zorac and a whole new world to discover.

How to play
    Action points are earned each hour:
    - Competence points for PVE (and PVP if needed)
    - Interaction points only for PVP
    - Profession points for the craft
    - Endurance points to move

The game is free to play. Bonuses are available to get some more actions points and help to pay for the server but their use is limited.
    There is absolutely no restriction in the game for the free players.

At the beginning you choose between:
    4 classes: (warrior, ranger, necromancer or magician )
    4 elements: (air, water, earth or fire)
    5 karmas (can change with your actions): (evil , harmful, neutral, or harmonic)
    Your skin depends on these choices and will change accordingly to your karma. Some players are rewarded and are allowed to draw their skin.

- The mouse is used to move (right or left click). All the skills are available through keyboard shortcuts which you can configure.
    - Each new level, you choose the characteristics you want to increase between vitality, address, strength, spirit, luck, resistance and precision (same for the skills).
    - The maps and some monsters or PNJís skins are created with RPG Maker, the rest is homemade from scratch (some players helped a lot for the graphical part: items, distinctions, wolrdmapÖ).
    - PVP is available almost everywhere (except in the taverns) and everything is done so a maximum of players can enjoy it. Thus, in some areas visited mainly by beginners, the level is limited: the high level players continue to have access to these areas, but if they do fight, their superiority is not too overwhelming
    - Factions are an important part of the game. Each faction can grow or change karma depending on the karma of its members. A faction can build a fortress where members can sleep and avoid paying in the tavern.
    - ingame chats are available as well as a forum for the roleplay (RP is encouraged but never an obligation)
    Some numbers:
    - 500 maps
    - 118 skills
    - more than 1000 PNJ and 2000 events
    - more than 600 equipments
    - 74 resources to harvest
    - 220 production recipes
    - 750 drops
    - more than 1600 items to collect
    - more than 220 quests
    - 350 monsters
    - 330 distinctions

Thanks for your help and I stay available if you have any question or if you want to discuss

Keril
    Last edited by Keril; 04-10-2014 at 11:33 PM.

The Devil's Advocate. Reputation: 354

It looks rather interesting, admittedly, I don't speak french, but, regardless I wish you the best of luck, and hope the community here can be of use to you!

Be nice guys. :V
    On nights like tonight when no one's around, I turn off the lights, and I float off the ground.

And I smile like I used to when you were around.

Pikachu's Flea Collar Reputation: 21

I would have loved to play this game 6-7 years ago because my younger self used to spend all day playing browser games such as Adventure Quest, Runescape and Tibia. The concept and amount of content is absolutely fantastic for a browser-based game and i think that people who currently play browser-based games will love it. I would play it if nothing else other than to help build the community because it's a game with enough effort put into it that i'm willing to put some effort in on my end.

Hi

both videos above where not very attractive so I created a new one with english explanations.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp0T8SbSfR4

If you like join us.
    Thanks for your help

Luigiís Pizza Reputation: 10

This actually looks very interesting. Would definitely play it if you ever make an english version.

Quote Originally Posted by Keril View Post
    Your skin depends on these choices and will change accordingly to your karma. Some players are rewarded and are allowed to draw their skin.
    By "draw" do you mean "create their own skin"? If so, then that's a huge plus to me since I'm fond of games that allows that kind of customization(i.e. GetAmped, GetAmped2, Cosmic Break, ClaDunX2), although I'm not really much of an artist

Anyway, I'll at least help spread the word around so good luck! =w=b

Yes we mean create your skin on your own. There are of course some mandatory rules (size, color of your element must be present). And usually some players who like to draw are willing to help others. you can see some examples on this page Heros

I just created the forum on the site so for the moment I'm the only registered user :-D but feel free to come.