is love real?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Easssssssy Livin' Reputation: 853

From a primal evolutionary standpoint, love doesn't make very much sense, except maybe for our children. Its our primal instinct to bone as much as possible and reproduce as much as possible. With as many partners as possible. We are here to pass on our genes and keep the species going, simple as that. Having affection and love for another doesn't seem practical in that sense.

Love for our children however is probably a legit thing. I mean, we're meant to keep them alive. And to do so, we have to really care for them, because children are ****ing awful. If we didn't feel some kind of love for our children, they'd all be drowned and abandoned by the third week of their life. Who wants an awful, screaming, pooping invalid for 3-4 years, and then once they learn to talk they somehow are even worse? A parent who loves their child. We needed that love to be programmed, or we'd just hammer all the babies.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 567

Quote Originally Posted by Oisterboy View Post
    From a primal evolutionary standpoint, love doesn't make very much sense
    If I may, I have something to say on this:
    Evolution explains the world. It's not the other way around. You say what amounts to "hey, evolutionary fear doesn't make sense, let's all pretend it doesn't exist". That's the wrong way of going at it.

Anyways, evolutionary success doesn't lie solely in numbers and the things you say are 90% quack-science from the 80s.

How it really is, is that survival of the species is all that counts. Not how much there are, not who brings up who's kids, nothing of that sort. To human development it became irrelevant about the time of the ice age, which is why, leaving size and weight out of it, which is probably a result of the better food just as much as genes, we stopped changing.
    There is no measurable human evolution going on. Birds, or dogs, or bacteria, or w/e, they change striking features in about 8-10 generations. Humans don't. If there is any evolutionary significant behavioral impact in humanity it does 2 things: A not work, B by the way evolution would have it, breed out.

People just don't get evolution. It's funny really. (Not targeting anyone specifically, just saying what I found to be the case, when talking to people about it.)

This is not of topic, it just explains that the only way evolution and love are linked is by cheesy dating coaches on the web. If you want to know how human behavior works, don't look at how butterflies and dinosaurs mate. It's cute and all, but really really obviously misguided.
    Last edited by Ronin; 04-12-2014 at 03:12 PM.

Stay frosty.

Heads or Tails Reputation: 10

Thanks guys for answering my question. I know this was a odd question. I have so much time on my mind. That i keep thinking of things. And felt the need to ask this. At Ronin you say i am not normal. I am most likely not. But what is normal these days? Really arent we all crazy? in or own way
    Last edited by not.all.there; 04-12-2014 at 02:57 PM.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 567

Quote Originally Posted by not.all.there View Post
    Really arent we all crazy?
    There's probably a handful of really boring mofos out there somewhere, who are nothing but normal. Won't find them on the internet though I wager.

Stay frosty.

Roxane's Roadkill Reputation: 382

Love is truly real. The first time you fall in love sucks asz because it changes you entirely.
    We talked about love and what life could really be for me. When that sh-..is real you just know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12