Sandbox or non-traditional MMO

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Default Sandbox or non-traditional MMO

Hello, i've been away from the MMO scene for a while an was wondering if any cool sandbox like games have come out of the woodwork... or just any non-traditional game where you don't , quest, grind, level ect ..

I've been watching "The Repopulation" really closely but I want something else to play in the mean time.
    Last edited by luckyone001; 04-15-2014 at 10:58 PM.

Game Journalist Reputation: 421

Wurm Online - Fantastic sandbox, one of my all-time favorites. I wrote the review here on OnRPG if you want to check out more on the game.

Mortal Online - Not as great as Wurm, at least in my opinion, but still fun. Has a first-person perspective and combat. Medieval with light-fantasy setting. Also wrote the review.

Xsyon - Post-apocalyptic game with similar elements as Wurm. Not quite as good, though, in my opinion. Of course, Wurm has been around a lot longer, so there's still a chance for Xsyon to catch up. Also wrote the review for this game here on OnRPG.

Age of Wushu - Point-and-click combat with a lot of sandbox-y features. I enjoyed the combat a lot, as mastering it took a lot of effort, so you felt like a real master of Kung Fu. You can even teach people tips and tricks, which makes it feel even better. There's a lot of neat features. I have a bunch of videos of Age of Wushu on my youtube channel and I also wrote the review for the game on OnRPG.

ArcheAge - Similar to Wushu, but with more sandbox features. It's strong naval-portion of the game makes it really attractive to a lot of people. Non-instanced housing, castle building (and sieging) farming system that allows you to plant almost anywhere, etc... makes the game really fun. I enjoyed it a great deal, and I have an early look article up on the game. It's not available in NA yet.

All of these games have sandbox features and are MMOs. All of them (I think) either are F2P or have a free trial account in place.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Master Chief's Windex Reputation: 10

Everquest landmark

Manic's Maniacal Machine Reputation: 17

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    Wurm Online - Fantastic sandbox, one of my all-time favorites. I wrote the review here on OnRPG if you want to check out more on the game.

Mortal Online - Not as great as Wurm, at least in my opinion, but still fun. Has a first-person perspective and combat. Medieval with light-fantasy setting. Also wrote the review.

Xsyon - Post-apocalyptic game with similar elements as Wurm. Not quite as good, though, in my opinion. Of course, Wurm has been around a lot longer, so there's still a chance for Xsyon to catch up. Also wrote the review for this game here on OnRPG.

Age of Wushu - Point-and-click combat with a lot of sandbox-y features. I enjoyed the combat a lot, as mastering it took a lot of effort, so you felt like a real master of Kung Fu. You can even teach people tips and tricks, which makes it feel even better. There's a lot of neat features. I have a bunch of videos of Age of Wushu on my youtube channel and I also wrote the review for the game on OnRPG.

ArcheAge - Similar to Wushu, but with more sandbox features. It's strong naval-portion of the game makes it really attractive to a lot of people. Non-instanced housing, castle building (and sieging) farming system that allows you to plant almost anywhere, etc... makes the game really fun. I enjoyed it a great deal, and I have an early look article up on the game. It's not available in NA yet.

All of these games have sandbox features and are MMOs. All of them (I think) either are F2P or have a free trial account in place.
    Apoca's list is great. I would also add Haven&Hearth and Salem, which are both from same devs (indie) and have permadeath, but are great sandbox-wise.