Is Smite the best moba now? Is it getting bigger and bigger?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Shadowsworn's Sandwich Reputation: 17

Quote Originally Posted by sinfullfears View Post
    what? lol is just a watered down dota that pretty much just copies dota hero skills. why is it the standard one? i also wouldn't call it more fast paced then dota since matches in both those games can last anywhere from 25 mins - 1 hour+
    Quote Originally Posted by Jermatoo View Post
    LoL isn't the moba standard though, Dota was the one that got the genre popular originally but it never took off past a small community in most places in the world save South East Asia. I would say people take both League and Dota's play models and either just copy and past things from both games or try to add something to make them interesting/trick people into playing them.
    I guess I phrased it wrong. I never said that Dota isn't the standard one. I just meant that LoL is a more "standard" (dota-like) moba compared to Smite. And yeah, LoL is slightly more fast paced than Dota (2). Skills are much more spammable than in dota, dota has Attack Point, Attack Backswing, Turning Rate etc. And games generally end earlier compared to dota.
    Last edited by Grable; 04-18-2014 at 10:32 AM.

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 16

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabontat View Post
    Okay enough with the post stuff.
    One thing I want to ask is what makes Dota/Dota 2 so special ? I play Dota 2 and LoL .. I never got into Dota that much.I like LoL more because it's more addictive at least for me.Every champion has it's own story and lots of other little details about them that makes the game more fun.Dota 2 doesn't have that from what I've seen.Sure heroes have some miniature story that's not connected in any way with the others.Some celestial comet turned to a phoenix and decided to fight .. wohoo.I can understand the Prince of Darkness but Puck ? A little fairy wants to kill everything in it's way.That's what bothers me in Dota universe.They fight for who knows what.
    In LoL it's not like that.Every champion has his story,his faction/city and a CLEAR cause for which they fight.Is it so hard for the Dota team to make something interesting ? I mean Dota 2 is a copy of Dota with better graphics and some new systems but come on .. the game's been out for ages.Does it take that long to write a proper story for each of them ?! I won't discuss the - Dota's hard and LoL is easy because it's not completely true.That depends on the player only.I don't find Dota or Dota 2 hard at all it's just different in it's own way but it can't hook me up like LoL ... did.
    for the stories i think they had to change them since they were blizzard copyrighted not too sure. it's a moba so i dont think a great deal on story is needed. Valve is doing a great job with the game - they are letting fans and players new skins - they released their engine so people can make skins a lot easier. They are doing the things that the fans want - more skins and more balances. Though a lot of people complain about small bugs not being fixed but they aren't game breaking and do not occur often.

and in my opinion dota is a lot more complex than League. ive watched both competitive streams and Dota pros are just way more disciplined when it comes to fundamentals and game mechanics. Fog of war has a lot more variability than brush it is affected by trees and height and is also affected by the night and day cycle - this effects ward vision as well and hero vision. Last hitting and denying is a lot more complex as well - counterwarding isn't really that prevailent as well until really late game in league - in league there is no way to control your creep equilibrium while in dota you can deny/pull in league - you can completely shut down your other opponent by never letting them see a creep wave even go near their tower meaning they dont get any experience - where as in league you will always have creeps coming at your tower so even if you are losing the lane you aren't stuck at level 1

im just rambling on here but there are so many more things that are different - if you have any other questions just ask - i'm a moba fanatic - mostly dota though.
    Last edited by chakraflare; 04-18-2014 at 10:53 AM.

Super Moderator Reputation: 195

Guys please don't make this another DOTA vs LoL vs every other MOBA created ever

Master Chief's Windex Reputation: 10

Well the thread name suggests that.Everyone has different taste though.I like SMITE but it can never hook me up for countless hours a day like LoL once did.I got tired of LoL too right now.Haven't played seriously in months.I play SMITE every day for 1-3 matches though because it's something different and fun.
    Needs some fixing though.I don't like the UI at all .. lacks a lot of must have stuff for instance an exit button from a queue.It's idiotic not to have one ! You pick your god and some 10 year old starts insulting and then feeds in game and loses you the match.You can prevent that match from happening at all with a simple X button at the top right corner when in the "select a god menu".Anyone know why they haven't made one yet ? Another thing is the dumb good will system.Who in the right mind made that useless thing ? The reason I said LoL is better in a lot of way is because of these small things that LoL has taken care of since its very release in 2009.Punishing a player for leaving a queue with trolls by reducing his favor income .. idiotic.Blocking him from playing for 5,10,15 etc. minutes is the proper way to do it and the LoL team knew that and did it without the whole community whining about it for months.There have been things we players want for a long time and still no answer about them.If they want this game to make it they need to listen.After all 90% of the players want the game to be better because they're the ones playing it.

やめてください! Reputation: 296

Well the thread name suggests that.
    You got a point there. The discussion is straying away from Smite though.

In terms of it getting bigger and bigger I guess that's logical considering it finally got released and is getting attention from the press, however I do not think it will have a following as large as the one other games in the genre have, and I don't think it has much to do with the quality if the game itself but the fact that it plays more like a TPS.

42 Reputation: 10

I dont really like "Dota" games and I am kinda tired of click to move. Tried HoN, LoL and Dota2 but got bored pretty fast.
    But somehow I enjoyed Smite, its that third person that makes the game more interesting and fresh I guess.
    And engine is great, almost every god looks awesome.

Game Journalist Reputation: 64

I honestly think Smite would have been more popular if they didn't stick themselves to the "God" theme. I'm not saying that's a bad thing but if they just made there own characters they could have done much more with it IMO.
    Currently Playing: Dawngate, LoL, FFXIV, Random Steam Games

What the hell is a Pwarp?

Super Moderator Reputation: 195

Well the thread name suggests that.Everyone has different taste though.I like SMITE but it can never hook me up for countless hours a day like LoL once did.I got tired of LoL too right now.Haven't played seriously in months.I play SMITE every day for 1-3 matches though because it's something different and fun.
    Needs some fixing though.I don't like the UI at all .. lacks a lot of must have stuff for instance an exit button from a queue.It's idiotic not to have one ! You pick your god and some 10 year old starts insulting and then feeds in game and loses you the match.You can prevent that match from happening at all with a simple X button at the top right corner when in the "select a god menu".Anyone know why they haven't made one yet ? Another thing is the dumb good will system.Who in the right mind made that useless thing ? The reason I said LoL is better in a lot of way is because of these small things that LoL has taken care of since its very release in 2009.Punishing a player for leaving a queue with trolls by reducing his favor income .. idiotic.Blocking him from playing for 5,10,15 etc. minutes is the proper way to do it and the LoL team knew that and did it without the whole community whining about it for months.There have been things we players want for a long time and still no answer about them.If they want this game to make it they need to listen.After all 90% of the players want the game to be better because they're the ones playing it.
    I should have clarified more.

Discussing why Smite is/isn't the 'best MOBA' is fine, where as comparing DOTA and LoL is off topic and should be kept to a minimum if possible (as it's something that always tends to occur).

Bongo Crazy Kong Reputation: 26

Quote Originally Posted by Pwarp View Post
    I honestly think Smite would have been more popular if they didn't stick themselves to the "God" theme. I'm not saying that's a bad thing but if they just made there own characters they could have done much more with it IMO.
    Really? I feel the opposite. Its a niche that doesnt really exist in many games and I think its part of what attracts people to the game. Smiting people into dust as some lightning mage probably doesnt feel the same as smiting people into dust as THE MIGHTY ZEUS! Its a huge plus for mythology nerds as well.

I also don't think the god theme is as restricting as some people think it is. There's hundreds of gods Hi Rez can choose from and most of their lore is loose enough that some pretty serious artistic liberties could be taken.

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 16

Quote Originally Posted by imported_JoshuaBojangles View Post
    Really? I feel the opposite. Its a niche that doesnt really exist in many games and I think its part of what attracts people to the game. Smiting people into dust as some lightning mage probably doesnt feel the same as smiting people into dust as THE MIGHTY ZEUS! Its a huge plus for mythology nerds as well.

I also don't think the god theme is as restricting as some people think it is. There's hundreds of gods Hi Rez can choose from and most of their lore is loose enough that some pretty serious artistic liberties could be taken.
    dont forget about heroes as well! theyve used 2? i think from the chinese side so their choices are almost endless!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast