Computer locking up.

TerrinBlaze's Treasure Reputation: 32

Default Computer locking up.

I think the issue is with the ram.. Since my computer would freeze/lock up.

However, I consulted with other tech forum sites and they said that it is strange since if it is a ram issue I would get BSOD screens.

I didn't get any BSOD screens when my computer locked up so I don't know what to think right now.

Nick is a wanker. Reputation: 605

Locking up with generally no errors -> your HDD is dying or close to dying.

Scan with HDTune, especially the SMART scan, and let us know what it says.
    Telling us the brand of your HDD is also going to be nice.

[My Anime List] | [last.fm] | [xfire] | [Steam]
    Quote Originally Posted by duby View Post
    i have no clue as to what a paragraph is

TerrinBlaze's Treasure Reputation: 32

Quote Originally Posted by SnOwBunZz View Post
    Locking up with generally no errors -> your HDD is dying or close to dying.

Scan with HDTune, especially the SMART scan, and let us know what it says.
    Telling us the brand of your HDD is also going to be nice.

I am using a crucial SSD M500

Quote Originally Posted by Espada1 View Post
    SSD
    So either an SSD from a bad batch (which happens occasionally, SSDs aren't that perfect yet) or you do have another issue.

Either way, can you return the HDTune smart scan?
    Telling us about the actual lock-up would be nice (just locks up until you manually reboot etc).
    If it automatically reboots, you still could have BSODs, just that your windows settings skip it. You should have an error log in Event Viewer and a file in C:\Windows\Minidump. Any errors (outside from HDDs screwing up, personal experience) should leave an entry in Event Viewer. Look under Windows Logs -> Application if you want take a look for errors in Event Viewer.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 253

So either an SSD from a bad batch (which happens occasionally, SSDs aren't that perfect yet) or you do have another issue.

Either way, can you return the HDTune smart scan?
    Telling us about the actual lock-up would be nice (just locks up until you manually reboot etc).
    If it automatically reboots, you still could have BSODs, just that your windows settings skip it. You should have an error log in Event Viewer and a file in C:\Windows\Minidump. Any errors (outside from HDDs screwing up, personal experience) should leave an entry in Event Viewer. Look under Windows Logs -> Application if you want take a look for errors in Event Viewer.
    It could be just his cpu or gpu. Not everything is a HDD failure if a system keeps freezing, even without bsod's. Or even worse! His PSU xD

That's why I told him to look in Event Viewer and tell more about his pc locking up. The first few results on google about his SSD from user reviews also suggest that his SSD is more likely to fail compared to other brands.

Super Duper Uber Mega Ultra Extreme Reputation: 173

That's why I told him to look in Event Viewer and tell more about his pc locking up. The first few results on google about his SSD from user reviews also suggest that his SSD is more likely to fail compared to other brands.
    It is a Crucial M500 aka the shit of the brand name SSD world. (Note: Shitty brand name SSD still trumps chinese SSD & HDD.) So I wouldn't actually be surprised if it failed on him. I actually had to replace two M500's in a couple of friend's computers because of bad sectors.
    # ᴛ ʜ ᴇ ʏ ᴄ ᴀ ʟ ʟ ᴍ ᴇ ᴛ ʜ ᴇ s ᴏ ʀ ᴄ ᴇ ʀ ᴇ ʀ s ᴜ ᴘ ʀ ᴇ ᴍ ᴇ ʙ ᴇ ᴄ ᴀ ᴜ s ᴇ ɪ ' ᴍ s ᴏ s ᴛ ʀ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴇ.

The Undead Reputation: 470

When mine was locking up without BSODs it ended up being the GPU. Installing different drivers fixed that. Just my 2 cents.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 253

I'm going to laugh if it's a psu error. He wanted to be cheap on as many parts as needed, especially the ones that only was for powering up the needed "gaming" stuff.

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 384

Quote Originally Posted by HamsterMascot View Post
    I'm going to laugh if it's a psu error. He wanted to be cheap on as many parts as needed, especially the ones that only was for powering up the needed "gaming" stuff.
    I was at work the other day and this guy was in the tech shop trying to figure out what was wrong with his pc as it wouldn't turn on, so he got talked into buying a thermal take power supply and when he hooked it up in front of me the Damn thing literally blew up almost. The smell of dead capacitors soon followed.

I hooked him up with an evga and it fired up perfectly.

It was beautiful cause usually cheap power supplies will take your system out with them.