If you plan to play a MMORPG for years...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Link's Dirty Sock Reputation: 20

Default If you plan to play a MMORPG for years...

Forget the P2P/sub only option.

3 years average $540 + 60 on boxes/expansion, at least you'll be spending $600 on a single game.
    The only time I would see myself spending $600-1,000 on a single game is if the game is truly something on a whole different level, which is not in 99% of the MMO's.

Any F2P or MMORPG that requires $50 top per year to fully enjoy its content/features is the only option for me.

Sadly, there aren't many F2P MMORPG's out there that are fun to be played in first place for free. Maeby by 2020 that will change.

Market is overflooded with card/battleground type MOBA/FPS/RTS repetitive/deathmatch/shoot em up games that I remember playing back 20 years ago with my friends on the Nintendo. Only difference now is they are 3D and better 3D graphics than 10+ years ago.
    Last edited by Kopogero; 04-28-2014 at 12:39 AM.
    Starcraft oldschool aka wise/04. SWG/UO aka Wise HeRo, Light Jedi Knight pre-cu (Bria)

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 92

i think it depends on how you choose to enjoy mmos and whether in fact you enjoy them.

mmos for me are just tools for my imagination. i love making the imaginary world into what i like. whereas mst mmo players today have zero imagination and expect the mmo to do everything for them: excite them, entertain them, brush their teeth etc..

if u r not the type of guy who has a big imagination then maybe u shoud go do something else besides mmos. go read a book, pay tennis or something.

if u r an imaginative guy, then what i did was to look for a f2p mmo which gave me all tools for endless entertainment. that format is open RvR pvp because the ingenuity of fighting real human players is pretty much endless. For me, the mmo which does give all these tools is Champions of Regnum. It has al the RvR and good balanced pvp mechanics already written. I can jump in and know the war wil be unexpected in format.

Other RvR pvp games are ok but heres why i turned them down. DAOC is pay to play. Aion has an endless grind for pvp gear. Aika has ow pop. RF Online is pay to win. GW2 is buy to play. I also avoid RvR pvp mmos with very detailed gfx (gw2) because this can kill yoiur imagination.
    Be warned - I am a major player of Regnum Online the mmo. I've been playing it for about 2 years and rarely go without logging in at least once a day. You can also look at good alternatives to Regnum such ase Aion online and Aika Online.

http://i.imgur.com/OR8cPqY.gif
    http://i.minus.com/iuujAXwnufVSO.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibvD03fDh31lre.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibwoHNBFwlmuZF.gif
    http://i.minus.com/ibcdlNG4kU0IyS.gif

Link's Dirty Sock Reputation: 20

Quote Originally Posted by queenvoo View Post
    i think it depends on how you choose to enjoy mmos and whether in fact you enjoy them.

mmos for me are just tools for my imagination. i love making the imaginary world into what i like. whereas mst mmo players today have zero imagination and expect the mmo to do everything for them: excite them, entertain them, brush their teeth etc..

if u r not the type of guy who has a big imagination then maybe u shoud go do something else besides mmos. go read a book, pay tennis or something.

if u r an imaginative guy, then what i did was to look for a f2p mmo which gave me all tools for endless entertainment. that format is open RvR pvp because the ingenuity of fighting real human players is pretty much endless. For me, the mmo which does give all these tools is Champions of Regnum. It has al the RvR and good balanced pvp mechanics already written. I can jump in and know the war wil be unexpected in format.

Other RvR pvp games are ok but heres why i turned them down. DAOC is pay to play. Aion has an endless grind for pvp gear. Aika has ow pop. RF Online is pay to win. GW2 is buy to play. I also avoid RvR pvp mmos with very detailed gfx (gw2) because this can kill yoiur imagination.
    And Mr.Imagination, what exactly you're gaining for winning those repetitive battles you describe that are not already in almost every other multiplayer game out there. Let me guess, imaginative thoughts that your better than the guy you just killed?

If imagination was the issue, then we would all not need to get out of the bed. Just close the eyes and imagine being wherever you want, doing whatever makes you relaxed so you can fall asleep again.

I do enjoy MMO's that are enjoyable to be played. And there are less and more enjoyable ones. Once you get the experience and pleasures of many great games through the decades, you obvioslly won't settle for less unless the less is the only option available or do completely different thing.
    Starcraft oldschool aka wise/04. SWG/UO aka Wise HeRo, Light Jedi Knight pre-cu (Bria)

Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 10

Kopogero, you are completely wrong in your way of thinking. You buy the initial game for 50 to 60 bucks and get 30 days free always. You then pay 15 dollars a month. You REGULARLY get new content added to the game that you get to access for free. You might have to pay for complete expansions, but it is usually 20-30 bucks. You are not paying 15 dollars a month for the same game for years.... the game you pay for constantly gets new content added to it. You must have forgotten that mmos update content? Idk. But 15 dollars a month for that type of game is well worth it to me. I don't play console really anymore or anything so all I pay for videogames is that 15 dollars a month lol.

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 72

i actually agree with him, expansions are endless.. why even waste money playing a p2p game when theres something even greater that's also free..

Entropia Universe Journalist Reputation: 55

RCE is the only option I ever see myself being able to play for the very reasons described in the opening post.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 246

WoW if only someone had told me 8 years ago when i started playing World of warcraft ... Oh wait back then there was no decent games so we had to pay to play one ... oh wait there is still no decent f2p games around.

all i hear in this thread is Q.Q how p2p games are not worth it ...

Cash Shops are the other side of P2P ... they make a game call it Free To Play , add cash shop with exp potions , other kinds of potions , gear and etc but its still FREE to play ! enjoy peasants you won't get to beat anyone that are buying things from cash shop ... Oh did we forget to tell you? The game is heavily based on PvP so after you are lvl 30 or 40 and go out the town you get rapped.

so ye i rather pay for a game 12 euro monthly plus expansions every 3 or so years.
    Last edited by poeticas; 04-29-2014 at 04:03 PM.
    Some Stories Are Just Way Better In My Head!

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

Most people that have the money end up spending way more on "Free to play" games than they do on pay-to-play.

Both models have their pluses and negatives. As I almost always get the premium subscription when I play a game, even in a F2P, I prefer pay-to-play games. Why? Because it's an even playing field with a (mostly) mature player base and regular content updates that (usually) don't require extra purchases. There's also the customer service. 9 times out of 10, you are going to get a thousand times better service from a pay-to-play game than a free to play game.

Most of the time, when I play a F2P game, I am forced to pay at least $15 a month (usually for premium services) to keep on par with the rest of the community. And then I have to pay extra for other things from the cash shop. For example, at a bare minimum when I was playing Age of wushu I would have to pay $10 for the VIP service plus another $5 or so for the best mount on the cash shop that only lasted a month. And that's just the bare minimum and I'm already paying as much as a P2P game. If I want to keep up with the top tier of players I had to invest much more, usually just for alt accounts that also needed premium. The game was fantastic, but it was turned into a cash grab by the company that owned it, and that company didn't even offer decent customer service. I would have much preferred it to have been Pay to play so I could just pay my $15 each month and be on the same playing field as other players and then have our in-game efforts be what determines our prowess, rather than how much money we could throw at the game. That's just one example.

Of course, there are high quality F2P games (ESO, SWTOR, etc...) and there aren't many p2p games anymore. The problem I have with a majority of F2Ps is that they are run by crappy (mostly foreign-owned) companies that don't care about their customers because they simply don't feel the need. Games like Wurm, Mortal, Xsyon, ESO, (hopefully)ArcheAge, etc... that are F2P (or Freemium) are what I consider the best hybrid as it often has the best of both types.

This immature hatred towards pay to plays is hilarious, though.
    Last edited by ApocaRUFF; 04-29-2014 at 05:00 PM.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[8/13]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    Of course, there are high quality F2P games (ESO, SWTOR, etc...) and there aren't many p2p games anymore. The problem I have with a majority of F2Ps is that they are run by crappy (mostly foreign-owned) companies that don't care about their customers because they simply don't feel the need. Games like Wurm, Mortal, Xsyon, ESO, (hopefully)ArcheAge, etc... that are F2P (or Freemium) are what I consider the best hybrid as it often has the best of both types.

This immature hatred towards pay to plays is hilarious, though.
    Uhh... By ESO I assume you mean Elder scrolls online. WTF are you doing classifying it as a f2p game? It literally JUST released and is still quite p2p... I just don't understand

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

Quote Originally Posted by Bawnawgwa View Post
    Uhh... By ESO I assume you mean Elder scrolls online. WTF are you doing classifying it as a f2p game? It literally JUST released and is still quite p2p... I just don't understand
    I didn't mean to put ESO as a f2p game. Pretty obvious it was a mistake :P But if you need more for the "high quality" f2p list, there's LOTRO, DCUO, Planetside 2, etc..

The problem probably stemmed from the fact that I was playing ESO with some friends while typing up the post, so I had ESO on my mind at the time.

I'll leave my post as-is, though. Just so that if ESO does go F2P sometime in the future, that portion of the post will become accurate :P
    Last edited by ApocaRUFF; 04-29-2014 at 08:20 PM.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[8/13]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast