The Future Of Gaming

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Interactive Stories. I'm not talking sandboxes where the only story is, "Guild X captured the fort! Corporation Y built a ship!" I'm talking about having player impact on the direction of a story AND still having powerful narrative that feels as good as "authored".

• 5 Years: We get a fantastic digital version of pen-and-paper campaigns for small groups. Player Impact + Good Story. Imagine going on an adventure with your friends, where you literally never know what will happen next, because it's being written as you go.
    • 10 Years: AI advances to the point where it can take the role of a "Game Master". Imagine a small, living, breathing world where you can jump in an adventure in a persistent world, never know what's happening next. A small MMO with infinite story. The AI makes it up as you go, keeping things interesting, catering to your personal style, weaving your story into the world and with other people's stories. Join up with friends and have meaningful adventures with real consequences.

Games are great as... games, but they kind of fail when it comes to story. Games are still pretty young -- they're still figuring out what they want to be when they grow up. Stories + Player Impact is kind of where I see the natural evolution.
    Last edited by MysteriousArtifact; 05-31-2014 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Nicer Formatting

My kids enjoy games from onemorelevel. And that games are much more fun than many AAA titles. I noticed that now people want to try various gameplays, and not stick to single game for years (remember ultima, cs, etc?). Probably games that have various gameplay will be more versatile. And if game could offer good player generated content - then it will be even more successful.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

• 5 Years: Mario Kart 12
    • 10 Years: Mario Party 20
    • 19 Years: Mario Kart Retro
    • 20 Years: Mario Kart Retro 3D
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

Nice question heheheee

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 126

Well the trend right now is that there will be less and less big titles because they require such a high budget. Eventually only the let's say 20 biggest game companies will make a game once per 2 years, so you won't see more than 10 big titles a year. That combined with Sony, Microsoft AND Nintendo all stating they want to focus more on exclusive titles will mean that if you only have one console you won't really see much big titles anymore.

On contrast to that will be the indie games. Because of the lack of games there will quite a high demand. This is a big chance for indie games to rise. We will see a lot of lower budget but good gameplay titles. Maybe the console producer also realize this and start supporting them better.

What is still open for me is what will happen to crowdfunding. On one hand it was a great idea and many jumped in, on the other hand, there were quite a few disappointments through it and many people already now got tired of paying ahead of time. So maybe the whole idea will fail in the end because there aren't enough people supporting games anymore.

If Kickstarter fails probably publishers will show up directly aimed towards smaller game developers once the publishers realize the potential.

Also gaming will move even further towards handhelds and cellphones. The fact that making a high budget title is too expensive for most combined with the fact that most players still demand highest end graphics on a TV screen (the acceptance for 2D games on a TV is fairly low and I don't see it rising anytime soon, which is very unfortunate), most companies who can't afford making big titles anymore will move to handhelds.

That's pretty much the future of gaming.

Edit: Regarding MMORPGs, I don't think a lot will change about them. Most MMORPGs will focus on F2P, this won't change. There will always be a small amount of players who strictly plays P2P only, but there aren't enough for more than say 5 MMORPGs, so whenever a new bigger P2P titles pops up, the one moving to 6th place will eventually end up going F2P.
    There was a trend towards uniqueness a few years ago. Many companies tried to do action RPGs or games that are unique in other ways, however, most weren't worth the effort and developers realized they are better off doing generic MMORPGs which are cheaper to make and have hardly any risk on money loss.
    So nope, not much will change regarding MMORPGs.
    Last edited by Rya.Reisender; 06-23-2014 at 06:52 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12