Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Future Of Gaming

Samus' Girdle Reputation: 10

Default The Future Of Gaming

Out of curiosity, where do you think future games will take us? 10 years from now? 25... 50 years from now?

Does our future lay in VR?

Or....Is the future highly complex, huge, breathing, living MMO worlds? I'm curious in hearing what you guys think about this.

Forum PvPer Reputation: 629

We're definitely heading toward a higher population of indie games and VR tech.

Sandbox MMOs seem to be trending at the moment, can't see that idea going away, once you've had a taste of sandbox everything else pales in comparison.

Game Journalist Reputation: 490

I believe impressive, "living" sandbox worlds is where we'll be heading. Wurm Online is an awesome example of what direction I feel MMOs will start heading towards.

As for the interface... I don't know. I feel that VR-tech will play a huge role, however, I do not think we'll end our use of keyboards and mice any time soon. Perhaps the look and design of them will change, but overall they'll still remain the keyboard and mice.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or ******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Senior Editor Reputation: 33

Mobile + VR. Mix those mobile gaming apps where it uses GPS and real world data, with some VR stuff, and boom: we're now immersed in a fantasy world while we're in the real world.
    Senior Editor, OnRPG/MMOHuts
    tumblr | twitch

Roon's Rogue Reputation: 117

Mobile will never be the future, trust me.

Only plays Magic DPS Classes, Healers and Machinist/Engineers.
    Playing MMO: FFXIV (Balmung)
    Waiting On: FFXV, KH3, Tree of Savior, RE:FFVII ∑ Saving For: New Computer

Ape for Diddy Reputation: 10
    Where ever you will live, I will find you

Oculus rift maybe

My PC specs:
    Processor: AMD FX 8350 4.0GHZ
    Graphic Card: Zotac GTX 970 Amp Omega Core Edition 4gb ddr5 256bit
    RAM: 2 pcs. of Ripjaws 8gbx2 ddr3 1600mhz
    Mobo: ASUS 990fx Sabertooth R2.0
    Cooler: Hyper 212x
    Case: Cougar Solution AF-2

Roon's Rogue Reputation: 117

I do see Linux becoming more of a gaming platform as steam starts pushing their SteamOS more, and ReactOS' Community Edition becomes more real: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/r...y-edition#home

Mono and Flash aren't viable though.
    Last edited by coldReactive; 04-30-2014 at 06:19 AM.

Only plays Magic DPS Classes, Healers and Machinist/Engineers.
    Playing MMO: FFXIV (Balmung)
    Waiting On: FFXV, KH3, Tree of Savior, RE:FFVII ∑ Saving For: New Computer

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

i think we'll be playing from a touch screen monitors LOL!

Phantom's Freak Reputation: 83

More advanced VR beyond Oculus Rift with super advanced AI controlled game that can bring out a true living story environment.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 269

Quote Originally Posted by Zarbyte View Post
    Or....Is the future highly complex, huge, breathing, living MMO worlds?
    Behold - the Future:

Interactive Stories. I'm not talking sandboxes where the only story is, "Guild X captured the fort! Corporation Y built a ship!" I'm talking about having player impact on the direction of a story AND still having powerful narrative that feels as good as "authored".

• 5 Years: We get a fantastic digital version of pen-and-paper campaigns for small groups. Player Impact + Good Story. Imagine going on an adventure with your friends, where you literally never know what will happen next, because it's being written as you go.
    • 10 Years: AI advances to the point where it can take the role of a "Game Master". Imagine a small, living, breathing world where you can jump in an adventure in a persistent world, never know what's happening next. A small MMO with infinite story. The AI makes it up as you go, keeping things interesting, catering to your personal style, weaving your story into the world and with other people's stories. Join up with friends and have meaningful adventures with real consequences.

Games are great as... games, but they kind of fail when it comes to story. Games are still pretty young -- they're still figuring out what they want to be when they grow up. Stories + Player Impact is kind of where I see the natural evolution.
    Last edited by MysteriousArtifact; 05-31-2014 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Nicer Formatting

My kids enjoy games from onemorelevel. And that games are much more fun than many AAA titles. I noticed that now people want to try various gameplays, and not stick to single game for years (remember ultima, cs, etc?). Probably games that have various gameplay will be more versatile. And if game could offer good player generated content - then it will be even more successful.

• 5 Years: Mario Kart 12
    • 10 Years: Mario Party 20
    • 19 Years: Mario Kart Retro
    • 20 Years: Mario Kart Retro 3D

Nice question heheheee

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 139

Well the trend right now is that there will be less and less big titles because they require such a high budget. Eventually only the let's say 20 biggest game companies will make a game once per 2 years, so you won't see more than 10 big titles a year. That combined with Sony, Microsoft AND Nintendo all stating they want to focus more on exclusive titles will mean that if you only have one console you won't really see much big titles anymore.

On contrast to that will be the indie games. Because of the lack of games there will quite a high demand. This is a big chance for indie games to rise. We will see a lot of lower budget but good gameplay titles. Maybe the console producer also realize this and start supporting them better.

What is still open for me is what will happen to crowdfunding. On one hand it was a great idea and many jumped in, on the other hand, there were quite a few disappointments through it and many people already now got tired of paying ahead of time. So maybe the whole idea will fail in the end because there aren't enough people supporting games anymore.

If Kickstarter fails probably publishers will show up directly aimed towards smaller game developers once the publishers realize the potential.

Also gaming will move even further towards handhelds and cellphones. The fact that making a high budget title is too expensive for most combined with the fact that most players still demand highest end graphics on a TV screen (the acceptance for 2D games on a TV is fairly low and I don't see it rising anytime soon, which is very unfortunate), most companies who can't afford making big titles anymore will move to handhelds.

That's pretty much the future of gaming.

Edit: Regarding MMORPGs, I don't think a lot will change about them. Most MMORPGs will focus on F2P, this won't change. There will always be a small amount of players who strictly plays P2P only, but there aren't enough for more than say 5 MMORPGs, so whenever a new bigger P2P titles pops up, the one moving to 6th place will eventually end up going F2P.
    There was a trend towards uniqueness a few years ago. Many companies tried to do action RPGs or games that are unique in other ways, however, most weren't worth the effort and developers realized they are better off doing generic MMORPGs which are cheaper to make and have hardly any risk on money loss.
    So nope, not much will change regarding MMORPGs.
    Last edited by Rya.Reisender; 06-23-2014 at 06:52 AM.

Occulus rift FTW! Looking forward to play COD series using that machine ^^
    ~ A small tap at the back enough to shake your entire soul ~

Forum PvPer Reputation: 629

I've changed my mind, we're in for a future of paying for half made games that never get finished.

Game Journalist Reputation: 490

Quote Originally Posted by Z0MBiE View Post
    I've changed my mind, we're in for a future of paying for half made games that never get finished.
    Lolwut? We're already there. Hell, we're past that stage. We've begun to pay for game concepts that haven't even put together a proof-of-concept demo.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or ******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 139

+1 ApocaRUFF, good one!

Actually I'm quite happy with the current development, because it brought me Freedom Planet and Trails in the Sky in English (DRM-free on GoG!) and I can look forward to not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 promising Strategy RPGs too!

Banned Reputation: 10

pc and mobile will develop in parallel, but the game play on the computer will always be choice and better quality

The Matrix! Something will be connected to our brains and everyone can do anything on the other dimension.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 467

the future of gaming is probably what we are already seeing.

Millions of people calling themselves "gamers" either because they play candy crush or some other half baked money farm thinly disguised as a game or because like they've played like every single new release like since forever (and traded it in after 2 weeks for something else).

It feels like theres no longevity in alot of games. Like titan fall.... a multiplayer mech game which is "cool" because mechs. But if you ask the players about the story they say "ignore the story". Its like people just want something shiny to entertain them for a week or two before they change it for something else. id software recently rebooted wolfenstein.... but you play it for 9 hours then trade it in. some games feel like they lack depth. not to say simple is bad but if i want to play a simple game surely i can just go back to my library of games from the 90's. but we've learnt so much since then so it seems a shame that there are so many shallow games. portal is a good example of a simple game thats fairly short but i think it leaves a lasting impression more-so than other similar games.
    but today it feels to me like too many games only expect you to play them once.

But I think that games arent like that (or shouldnt be like that), they are like books or movies you read/watch again and again, or like songs you never get tired of. except they have the advantage of being fully interactive and immersive. dont get me wrong, i used to play call of duty:united offensive multiplayer all the time just running round the same maps over and over and it was fun. but it feels like more modern games are just in it for the short term with publishers just trying to milk as much money as they can (CoD will now be released yearly like NFLxxx or FIFAxx). I'm glad there are many successful indie projects and other types of support infastructure for smaller developers, like steam greenlight but better... because as has been said that's the real future or at least the future we should be aiming for.

using occulus rift or some VR just to play CoD is a meaningless waste. like discovering the secrets of the universe and using it to uncover the colonel's secret recipe for fried chicken.

at the end of the day gaming is art. You shouldn't be making art just for money, you should be making art because art.

also, if they ever invent anything like the matrix or completely realistic VR that would be terrible because people wouldnt be looking out anymore theyd only be looking in. the world would end like in the episode of Futurama when everyone is telling Fry its a bad idea to date robots.
    Last edited by Deimos; 08-02-2014 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Balls. Big, giant, balls.
    To be THIS good takes

Quote Originally Posted by Deimos View Post
    also, if they ever invent anything like the matrix or completely realistic VR that would be terrible because people wouldnt be looking out anymore theyd only be looking in. the world would end like in the episode of Futurama when everyone is telling Fry its a bad idea to date robots.
    If they made the matrix I'm pretty damn sure they will be looking out for this, and wouldn't make this mistake. Look forward not the bad things they can miss.
    Currently playing : Swordsman Online, Maplestory, Dekaron, Robocraft.
    Mostly playing : Robocraft

Luigiís Pizza Reputation: 10

Everything is going to be mediocre until high quality VR is cheap and we have some decent MMORPGs using it. Everything.

Angry Birds and 4X browser-based city building clones.