Some games still worth playing?

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Default Some games still worth playing?

Hey everyone..

I was wondering.. any of the older MMOs that were super popular back then, are they still worth to play? or have they become totally Pay to Win....

examples: Lord of the rings online, Runes of Magic, dungeons and dragons online, perfect world, there are much more but these are the only names I thought of...

thanks in advance!

Cingal's Collar Reputation: 72

Mabinogi, Aura Kingdom, Latale, Sd Gundam Online, Maplestory are pretty much the only things worth playing in my opinion

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

meh I don't like sidescrollers... and I'm looking at the older MMO's, not new ones. (mabinogi is fine) just I heard mabinogi is PTW as hell xd

Cingal's Collar Reputation: 72

I actually hate the modern games atm, it's just full of low budget browser fest or 3d mmos with high-end failed optimized games..

Sadly there arn't many old games left, all of them are disappearing or closing down or yeah "dead"

I would highly recommend Asherons Call. It's been here since beta in 1998-1999.

•Very good PVE content with 14 years of quests and content to go through
    •The best looting tables / system I have ever seen in a MMO in over 14 years
    •A great crafting system which allows you to tailor your armor however you see fit
    •Even with the dated graphics armor and weapons really look neat and make you immersed in your character
    •A skill based character system, no classes You can be whatever you want to be. You want to be a war mage that uses a sword, go for it. You want to be a summoner void magic users go for it, be whatever you want to be. You get so many skill points to distribute to train and specialize in a skill, then you dump your XP into your skills to improve them.
    •The best PVP ever done in a MMO. Not only do you have the option to pvp or go pvp lite on the white servers, there is a full open FFA PVP server with looting called Darktide if you really want to spice it up. This server you can kill whoever you want whenever you want it really adds that extra level of adventure when running around the world or doing quests
    •NO INSTANCES minus the Colosseum arena, everywhere else is open world
    The list goes on and on, its just a great mmo that was so far ahead of its time.

This is a link from a long time ago so the graphics have gotten better but it gives you an idea of the quest system and how great it can be

YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Hellbreath online, quite old yet still one of the best oldschool mmos for pvp
    http://www.hbolympia.com/

Redstone Online - 500mb only with no ip restrictions. this game is still one of the popular mmorpgs in korea and have upcoming title redstone 2 with delicious graphics, redstone 1 doesnt look that bad though it just lacks customization and might be confusing finding npcs in other towns for quests but i believe thats goes the same for all old mmorpgs but to compensate for the lack of customization and such it offers you fabulous skill graphics and many characters to explore unlike other old mmorpgs with only 2-3 classes! this game has decent community and many are nice people but due to my timezone 9 gmt+ i ended up playing at their sleeping hours so most were afk
    http://redstone.ogplanet.com/en/main.og
    YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

The Great Merchant - should be 1gb or so and its one of the most popular korean online game back in the old days, took them a while to release this in english but you know better late than never! korean title is Gersang, this game is based on asian history. you could be an artizan and craft good weapons and sell them for profit or pricecheck around the cities and buy cheap, resell for higher price in another city etc. what you also do in this game is hire mercenaries (you buy them and keep them) however you can only buy mercenaries from your own country, however you could choose to have someone from that country trade you the mercenaries if say your character is from korea and you want the japanese wolf riders, you'd need to go to japan with a boat or teleport pod and locate a japanese character to buy you a mercenary. the background is cool and the music is rather comforting. funny thing about this game is the mercenaries speak their country's language korea = korean etc. later on you unlock advanced mercenaries that do cool spells like the one in the video. this game has a small community but there are koreans that speak english etc, the game has been in service for years and still going.

http://www.thegreatmerchant.com/
    YouTube Video

YouTube Video
    Last edited by Ryukiri; 05-03-2014 at 05:35 AM.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 126

DDO is almost pure PVE so how can it be P2W?
    LOTRO and DDO are bother rather pay for content, so pretty much the opposite of P2W.

Anyway, I guess I recommend Allods Online P2P server. It has cash shop removed completely.
    Other P2P MMORPGs are also worth looking at, but I guess the only older P2P MMORPG is World of Warcraft.