Permadeath is what you need.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shadowsworn's Sandwich Reputation: 45

In nutshell Ultima Online, It has the best system, if it were F2P today it would be played by the mass's daily and the game would be lifted back into its old highs.
    UO is the best game play system to date. unbeatable.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 319

Quote Originally Posted by periago View Post
    too lazy to read it all, but I agree that permadeath makes games more fun. On a side note, does any1 know a mobile game with permadeath?
    Most roguelikes are permadeath. Type that into a search in the app store and you should get some worth checking out.
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis
    NNID Sliphatos (1762-2677-2366): Smash Bros 3DS, Fantasy Life.

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 88

You summed up current MMOs perfectly.
    A game should be about the experience... not experience.
    If that is achieved, permanent death of a character is nothing but another step.

If you were pitching a Kickstarter I would have invested.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 126

Permadeath is only good in games that can be played through in 30 minutes or less. I works just fine for roguelikes and shmups, but for MMORPGs it doesn't, unless it's a super small MMORPG that is.

If you look at the whole picture from the game's perspective then permadeath might look like a good idea. But the problem is that the player who dies will not enjoy it. Even if it's good on paper in the overall picture, it won't work out if players don't enjoy it.

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 80

People thought permadeath is fun or challenging, just like ppl thought playing as sniper is fun or stunlock is fun. It's NOT. Try being THAT GUY got 1shot. It's anything but fun. It's cheap. It's lame. It goes "WTF, he stunned me for 15secs! I just stood there and MTFKing DIED. RAGEQUIT RAGEQUIT." That experience is what gonna happen to EVERYONE in permadeath MMO. One day large group of players will kill you in 1 second and no power in the world would have saved you. And then you will quit. And sucks to be you if you spent money on the game.

Either you play the game in fear of getting ganked, run away at the very first sign of trouble, or you risk losing everything because someone thought it's fun to screw you over.

Side note, the only way players can receive defeat knowing he has tried his best to prevent it. Getting hopelessly killed is not. But that's what gonna happen in MMO like this.

If there's no PvP, then permadeath is even less fun. Dying in PvE content is lame and shameful, and humiliating. "Fk, can't believe I die to stupid Goblins !! Goblins ! Because some fktards pulled adds on me!!"

Nope. No good thing will come out of this.

Fun MMO experience lies in the experience of it. That I agree.

As a player, the goal is to find challenge and overcome it. Players are supposed to play against those mobs, not play against the AI or against Dev's coding. "attack the boss till 80% HP mark, then run outside of red ring on the floor. attack the boss till 70% HP mark, then put out all torches in the room or instant AOE wipe. Attack boss till 50% HP mark then pull lever A and lever B. then at 30% HP mark stay to the boss right side only. then kill the boss." Fk no. That's not fighting a monster. That's fighting against a lame dev's stupid coding.
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you.
    Pyr3D.com - My 3D Character Artist Folio
    ---

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

The only problem with perma death, is it causes people to avoid challenge at all costs, they'd rather grind obscenely easy content than challenge themselves and have a chance of dying and failing.

I play Play of Exile, and a lot of people survive by never soloing(Party is without a doubt easier) or they only solo instances like ledge, where it's nearly impossible to get killed by anything. People still die of course, but usually in endgame maps, where something unexpected happens.

Remember when Diablo 3 Inferno started? Hardcore consisted of people farming chests and goblin treasure bandits for gear.

Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 29

To fix alot of the raging. There should be systems in place so that death is not always the end. For example. Combat doesn't always have to end in death. If a game allowed to immobilize or knock out someone. Make injury them to the point were they fall but arn't dead and if you must you could kill them or capture them, or even drag them off to your house in the middle of nowhere and nurse them back up to health. There could also be a faith/god system were if you prey to the right gods and got lucky enough or were devote enough you could be reincarnated or ressurected. Hell allow necromancer players to drag off dead bodys and try to force life back into them. You could add a whole family system so if players wanted to they could have a child and if they die and their child is of age, they could play as their child and retain some heirlooms of their father character. There are tons of ways to have perma death without makeing it rageful.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

Quote Originally Posted by akiel123 View Post
    They create kingdoms and wars for your entertainment, but in the end it is as if they made you a cake and you thought "Wow, is that cake all for me!?" and then you look around and see that everyone got the exact same cake,
    Pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by akiel123 View Post
    A couple of weeks later you recieve word of a dragon nearby. You and a squad of soldiers are tasked to kill it. You die but with your last breath you realise that your final spell has taken the beast down too. A statue is erected in the town square as a memory to you and your eforts to the kingdom.
    This is what I loved so much about RTS and several singleplayer RPGs from the 90s - once you died, you got a highscore. When you were playing there was more suspense because the stakes were high and staying alive was worth the effort of playing cautious! Most games now if you die you respawn within 30 seconds (which isn't a bad thing, but it emphasizes the unimportance of death).

Murxidon's Maid Reputation: 43

too lazy to read through the thread but I do think games need to be peramdeath in some way. Realm of the mad god was so fun because of the permadeath system. Permadeath also makes it harder to reach the end game which means the game company can take away a lot of the grinding / boring stuff since you will be making new characters often. (hopefully I am not completely off topic since I didnt read lol)

Heroes of Newerth - Powster
    Savage 2 - Powster
    Starcraft 2 - Powster.380 (Master Protoss/Zerg)
    Steam (CS:S, L4D2, TF2) - Powster

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12