MMO with the most engaging support classes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Default MMO with the most engaging support classes

Hello,

I've played MMOs for YEARS and I've been highly disappointed as of late with the MMO scene - everything going away from a more thinking (cc, support) game to a more constant action (rush in, kill everything as fast as possible, AOE AOE) game.

I miss the days of Everquest and playing a bard with CC, support etc...

Does anyone have a suggestion of a current gen MMO with a good support class that's engaging and has some skill and/or thinking required to play?

I played WoW up to WotLK and it just lost me completely because people were doing dungeons by just running in and AoEing, took out any thinking or strategy away from the game.

I've played Tera for a bit and I liked the mystic class a lot, but I'm not sure if Tera is worth it anymore (is Tera still a budding community?)

FFXIV was fun but there was no real support, to support I had to heal, and I did enjoy the scholar class but...I don't want to be a primary healer.

Suggestions? Are my requirements too needy nowadays? .

Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 10

Unfortunately MMO makers today do not understand how great Support roles are and skip out on them . It is really hard to find a good support class in a new MMO that is not just a healer.

However, Elder scrolls online is interesting. Each class has skills that can provide some benefit to the group in the form of buffs/cc (classes being sorcerer, dragon knight, templar, assassin). So you can specialize in those while using a restoration staff, which provides you with heal over times, and a shield for your group member. I am a support dragon knight. I increase my groups damage, have lots of snares/knock downs, shields, and heals :P. But you have to buy ESO, then 15 bucks a month... so there is that lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawnawgwa View Post
    Unfortunately MMO makers today do not understand how great Support roles are and skip out on them . It is really hard to find a good support class in a new MMO that is not just a healer.

However, Elder scrolls online is interesting. Each class has skills that can provide some benefit to the group in the form of buffs/cc (classes being sorcerer, dragon knight, templar, assassin). So you can specialize in those while using a restoration staff, which provides you with heal over times, and a shield for your group member. I am a support dragon knight. I increase my groups damage, have lots of snares/knock downs, shields, and heals :P. But you have to buy ESO, then 15 bucks a month... so there is that lol.
    Actually I don't mind paying any fees, but most of the MMOs nowadays are f2p so I just assumed I should have posted here.

ESO sounds interesting to me, mainly for the fact that from the reviews I've seen it seems it doesn't follow the ES games much (the ES games have bored me for some weird reason, not sue why). Maybe I'll give ESO a shot then if it's the best choice .

Orc's Breathmint Reputation: 44

my first post on these forums was pretty much the same thing. asking for engaging support play

for what it's worth, I'm now playing Wakfu. lots of GREAT support classes there. it's also grid-based/turn-based, a la Disgaea/Final Fantasy Tactics, which is a plus for me at least.
    Last edited by reikken; 05-10-2014 at 02:39 AM.

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 16

engaging support classes hmm...

the only thing i can think of is a mystic in tera? acts like a priest but has buffs and other things that make him really versatile

Luigiís Pizza Reputation: 10

Hmm...seems like a lot of my posts deal with backing gw2 but...Support Guardian in it is about as engaging as a support class can be. I'm not sure if your pve or pvp focused but if it's pvp, support guardian is extremely engaging and is the core of the team/group.

Rock Man Reputation: 32

Archeage has pretty good support classes, cause you can mix any 3 skill trees in a game into one class and some skill trees have a ton of support or cc skills, which is their main focus. I managed to make my character, and it wasn't even my intention, into some sort of pvp support - I don't have very good damage, but every (yes, every) skill in my arsenal acts like some form of crowd control or utility.

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone.

I totally forgot about Wakfu so I downloaded that and am going to try it out. I also have rift installed and am going to play that for a bit.

I saw Smooth McGroove was playing Archeage, I hadn't seen it before then. Maybe I'll give that one a shot too!

I just...MMOs nowadays have seemed really bland and uninspiring to me. Hopefully there's something out there, thanks again for all the responses.

McFox Sandwich Reputation: 22

The only MMO I can think of that had amazing support powers was City of Heroes, which is sadly dead now. There was so much a good support character could bring to a group in that game, and having more than one in a part was just incredible.

The closest I can think of now is maybe...Ragnarok Online? Sure you can still heal but the differences buffs make in that game are powerful. Not sure how engaging you would find that game though.

Orc's Breathmint Reputation: 44

ragnarok online has the best support classes, but it's not at all current gen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast