Thread: MMO with the most engaging support classes

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Default MMO with the most engaging support classes

Hello,

I've played MMOs for YEARS and I've been highly disappointed as of late with the MMO scene - everything going away from a more thinking (cc, support) game to a more constant action (rush in, kill everything as fast as possible, AOE AOE) game.

I miss the days of Everquest and playing a bard with CC, support etc...

Does anyone have a suggestion of a current gen MMO with a good support class that's engaging and has some skill and/or thinking required to play?

I played WoW up to WotLK and it just lost me completely because people were doing dungeons by just running in and AoEing, took out any thinking or strategy away from the game.

I've played Tera for a bit and I liked the mystic class a lot, but I'm not sure if Tera is worth it anymore (is Tera still a budding community?)

FFXIV was fun but there was no real support, to support I had to heal, and I did enjoy the scholar class but...I don't want to be a primary healer.

Suggestions? Are my requirements too needy nowadays? .

Super Duper Uber Mega Ultra Extreme Reputation: 11

Unfortunately MMO makers today do not understand how great Support roles are and skip out on them . It is really hard to find a good support class in a new MMO that is not just a healer.

However, Elder scrolls online is interesting. Each class has skills that can provide some benefit to the group in the form of buffs/cc (classes being sorcerer, dragon knight, templar, assassin). So you can specialize in those while using a restoration staff, which provides you with heal over times, and a shield for your group member. I am a support dragon knight. I increase my groups damage, have lots of snares/knock downs, shields, and heals :P. But you have to buy ESO, then 15 bucks a month... so there is that lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawnawgwa View Post
    Unfortunately MMO makers today do not understand how great Support roles are and skip out on them . It is really hard to find a good support class in a new MMO that is not just a healer.

However, Elder scrolls online is interesting. Each class has skills that can provide some benefit to the group in the form of buffs/cc (classes being sorcerer, dragon knight, templar, assassin). So you can specialize in those while using a restoration staff, which provides you with heal over times, and a shield for your group member. I am a support dragon knight. I increase my groups damage, have lots of snares/knock downs, shields, and heals :P. But you have to buy ESO, then 15 bucks a month... so there is that lol.
    Actually I don't mind paying any fees, but most of the MMOs nowadays are f2p so I just assumed I should have posted here.

ESO sounds interesting to me, mainly for the fact that from the reviews I've seen it seems it doesn't follow the ES games much (the ES games have bored me for some weird reason, not sue why). Maybe I'll give ESO a shot then if it's the best choice .

Orc's Breathmint Reputation: 44

my first post on these forums was pretty much the same thing. asking for engaging support play

for what it's worth, I'm now playing Wakfu. lots of GREAT support classes there. it's also grid-based/turn-based, a la Disgaea/Final Fantasy Tactics, which is a plus for me at least.
    Last edited by reikken; 05-10-2014 at 02:39 AM.

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 16

engaging support classes hmm...

the only thing i can think of is a mystic in tera? acts like a priest but has buffs and other things that make him really versatile

Fat Bowser Reputation: 10

Hmm...seems like a lot of my posts deal with backing gw2 but...Support Guardian in it is about as engaging as a support class can be. I'm not sure if your pve or pvp focused but if it's pvp, support guardian is extremely engaging and is the core of the team/group.

Rock Man Reputation: 32

Archeage has pretty good support classes, cause you can mix any 3 skill trees in a game into one class and some skill trees have a ton of support or cc skills, which is their main focus. I managed to make my character, and it wasn't even my intention, into some sort of pvp support - I don't have very good damage, but every (yes, every) skill in my arsenal acts like some form of crowd control or utility.

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone.

I totally forgot about Wakfu so I downloaded that and am going to try it out. I also have rift installed and am going to play that for a bit.

I saw Smooth McGroove was playing Archeage, I hadn't seen it before then. Maybe I'll give that one a shot too!

I just...MMOs nowadays have seemed really bland and uninspiring to me. Hopefully there's something out there, thanks again for all the responses.

Dante’s Inferno Reputation: 22

The only MMO I can think of that had amazing support powers was City of Heroes, which is sadly dead now. There was so much a good support character could bring to a group in that game, and having more than one in a part was just incredible.

The closest I can think of now is maybe...Ragnarok Online? Sure you can still heal but the differences buffs make in that game are powerful. Not sure how engaging you would find that game though.

Orc's Breathmint Reputation: 44

ragnarok online has the best support classes, but it's not at all current gen

Hoshigami Reputation: 427

I had fun as a bard in eden eternal. You could also try a troubadour in Rift.
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis, https://www.neonmob.com/@sliphatos
    NNID Sliphatos (1762-2677-2366): Smash Bros Wii U/3DS, Fantasy Life, Monster Hunter 4, Splatoon.

Bongo Crazy Kong Reputation: 20

lineage2 some years ago.

I was a bishop on Teon and... you feel like a god :-P
    When you are in a siege, 40 ally dead near you and you ress them all with one skill is like a win win =D
    yeah, I know, tons of grammar errors. Sorry :-(

Pipster's Punk Reputation: 83

Ragnarok and RIFT.

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 43

Priest in Tera is fun =p

RIP Xfire

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 20

RaiderZ support was interesting

Insert Forgotten Title here Reputation: 131

Rift literally has a queue-able 'support' role. The classes filling that role tend to be buff/debuff spe******ts with off-heal potential, but mostly mediocre damage(Looking at you, Beastmaster.).

[19:45] ♥Moloko Lynx♥: Flight sims would even suit you, Riz. You seem to have the sensibilities of an old man.
    Member since May 8, 2004.

Bongo Crazy Kong Reputation: 31

Cleric in Neverwinter

Rock Man Reputation: 13

I always play support when I can in MMOs. I was Hiero sub bishop in L2, Priest in Perfect World and Rohan.
    If you like MOBAs, I have been enjoying a lot supporting in LoL.
    Most recent mmos I tried doesn't have the feel of supporting anymore and funny enough, it's in LoL I found support role being the best compared to recent games.

Edit: It's a bit far-stretched and out of the box, but you can play a great support role in DayZ.
    Last edited by Fence; 05-10-2014 at 08:18 PM.
    Whinning is a skill. Reduces your target moral points by 50 pts instantly then another 50 points over 2min.
    Begging is a skill. Low chance of getting an item from target. If failed, target's attack power increases by 200.

Quote Originally Posted by Fence View Post
    I always play support when I can in MMOs. I was Hiero sub bishop in L2, Priest in Perfect World and Rohan.
    If you like MOBAs, I have been enjoying a lot supporting in LoL.
    Most recent mmos I tried doesn't have the feel of supporting anymore and funny enough, it's in LoL I found support role being the best compared to recent games.

Edit: It's a bit far-stretched and out of the box, but you can play a great support role in DayZ.
    I actually mained support in LoL, and enjoyed it a LOT, I mained Leona, 2nded thresh and loved playing karma as an offensive support or Zyra as a pusher support. I fell out of LoL because I just didn't have many friends that played it, and I didn't get good enough to find an online group, I've heard it has gone way downhill in the past few months or so?

I have been playing rift and it...its very wowish, I don't think I'll get very far in it.

I got past the tutorial in Wakfu, I may give that more time, I might also go back to my mystic in Tera just to see how things are now, that always seemed interesting to me.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 212

Quote Originally Posted by KopeAcetic View Post
    Does anyone have a suggestion of a current gen MMO with a good support class that's engaging and has some skill and/or thinking required to play?
    Not an MMO, but supports have a high skill-cap in Bloodline Champions. Every spell is a skillshot with an under 20 second cooldown.

Bongo Crazy Kong Reputation: 10

Current gen, no idea.

Back in the day tho - Lineage II. The support class (Buffer) was so damn important, honestly the difference between life and death. Support buffs we're so powerful that everyone wanted a full buff, to the point support's while not doing much we're sitting in the main cities and selling buffs for in-game cash.

Also buffs from different support classes (there was a number of completely different full buff support classes) could stack, and a full party would never be without a dancer/singer class and a more conventional direct buffer. Dacers and Singers did party buffs, the other classes most of the time did single target buffs. But support classes never meant to be squishy useless guys, nope, most of the time they wore the heaviest tier of armor and used dual swords. For buffing however they would switch to decent sets of magic armor and staffs that added casting speed and mana.

P.S - You can still play the game, it's F2P now and is being somewhat maintained and updated. Unless you're going to puke your brains out because of the controls (no wasd, just point and click, tho is supports some sort of wasd but it's poor) there's no reason not to enjoy the game. Graphics are decent for such and old game, performance may be bad even if running on a high end rig, it's due to the old engine.

But yes, worth a try.

After Lineage II I have never seen a game that did support that good, and honestly that's sad.
    Last edited by NightAir; 05-11-2014 at 07:27 AM.

Super Duper Uber Mega Ultra Extreme Reputation: 11

Lineage 2 boasts a tremendous slew of classes with which to choose from (and upgrade to ). But you must keep in mind. It is an old game, so population isn't going to be what it once was, plus it won't be receiving huge updates at very regular times. PLUS prepare for a grind. Lineage 2 is a huuuge grind to level lol. That is what turned me off from it. I played it many many moons ago, but couldn't keep to it because of grind.

I loved EQ2 though. Still do! But am playing ESO at the moment but that is my "off" mmo haha. Bards and troubadours are still VERY much desired at endgame for their buffs. Coercers and illusionists are interesting support because they do nice damage being "mages" but are specialized for crowd control. Then of course all the healers are wanted for things, but each healer does something a little different which is cool. I played a defiler, so I weakened enemies with DoT's and had a few healing spells. BUT my main healing came from wards. I applied wards to group members to protect from damage, which allowed me to control their HP

EQ2 is old too though. so a good portion of population is at endgame, like would be the case for lineage 2

Chrono's Crony Reputation: 61

Rift's Archon soul for the Mage class is interesting. It's a Mage spec that revolves around reducing your stats to raise your party's stats. As well, they have buffs to steal stats from enemies to keep their stats normalized.

Currently playing: FFXIV (Elucifer Arclight, Leviathan server), LoL (Trash Tier Waifu, NA server), SMITE (Zacewing)