Tree of Savior English Blog!

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 126

Yeah, I don't see that problem either. Make all movements being controlled server-sided and then there can't be any "Instant kill monster" hacks. As for exploiting weaknesses - well those exploits can be fixed or simply be considered a legitimate tactic.

I didn't mind that in RO there were tricks to kill off a strong MVP. It still required a lot of training and good teamwork (coordination) to get this working in the first place, so why not reward it? If it's too cheap, fix the exploit.
    (Most big RO exploits only worked on private servers anyway.)

Not that RO is a good example though. No exploits is always better. And it's quite possible to not leave any cheap tricks. If you look at any modern AAA title none of them have cheap tricks to kill off a strong boss.

Risk = Reward will always be best.

Regarding stat point system. Well in RO it was so amazing because the structure of the 6 stats: STR, DEX, VIT, AGI, INT and LUK worked so perfectly. Almost every class can make use of any stat. And combined with "cost increases the higher the stat" if often wasn't all so bad to put a few points in any stat.
    For example just take INT. On other MMORPG only magicians and healers get INT. In RO any class can make use of INT because it does not only increase magic damage put also the max SP (MP) and SP recovery. And being able to use skills more often is a big benefit for any class. It never hurt to put 10 or 20 points into it.
    Or look at the dynamic of damage. For physical classes all stats except for INT matter quite of bit. You need STR to increase your base damage, AGI to increase your speed, DEX to actually be able to hit and LUK for critical hits. But those stats are not stand alone, they influence each other. High damage is a lot more significant if you also attack fast. So STR and AGI actually support each other. The more STR you have the more useful gets AGI and the other way around. But both are useless if you don't have DEX because otherwise you won't hit. But wait, there is also LUK that causes critical which always ignore defense and always hit. So one could also opt for LUK instead of DEX. And the resulting classes are all viable, though they are viable for different situations. A class with high LUK for example is good against monster with high flee or defense, but bad against the rest. A class with high STR and AGI is good against all monsters that don't have a high hit rate because you will almost nullify the damage you take.
    And there is so much more.

True, if you just consider PVP, then there are only 1-2 viable builds per class, but in PVE there are hundreds of viable builds, all good for a different situation and location.

Games that just have "Put X stat points per level" almost always end up with "Physical attackers put all in STR, magical attackers put all in INT", because maximizing damage is always the most viable solution. Any single point into a defensive stat will just mean your damage sucks later on.

Regarding the class system, I understood it so that even if you stay Wizard, it's a new class and can't be taken back.
    I think of it like RO's class system except that instead of splitting into 2 classes, it splits into 3 classes wheras one class has the same name as the previous class just with added title. They called it "Tier 2" but might as well imagine just putting a "High" in front of Wizard for example.

Q&A 7 is up: http://blog.treeofsavior.com/en/?p=180
    Last edited by Rya.Reisender; 07-07-2014 at 07:37 AM.

Random Chua Reputation: 47

All the classes look so unique, indeed. It's mind boggling.
    Still, I'm going to be playing the same class I played when I first started Ragnarok Online: A Generic 2-Handed Swordsman with Red hair. Because nostalgia.

(Things and stuff are happening!)

Currently playing:
    WildStar - Razzi - LV50 Chua Engineer Explorer - Entity PvE Realm

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 80

Quote Originally Posted by Rya.Reisender View Post

Regarding stat point system. Well in RO it was so amazing because the structure of the 6 stats: STR, DEX, VIT, AGI, INT and LUK worked so perfectly. Almost every class can make use of any stat. And combined with "cost increases the higher the stat" if often wasn't all so bad to put a few points in any stat.
    For example just take INT. On other MMORPG only magicians and healers get INT. In RO any class can make use of INT because it does not only increase magic damage put also the max SP (MP) and SP recovery. And being able to use skills more often is a big benefit for any class. It never hurt to put 10 or 20 points into it.
    Or look at the dynamic of damage. For physical classes all stats except for INT matter quite of bit. You need STR to increase your base damage, AGI to increase your speed, DEX to actually be able to hit and LUK for critical hits. But those stats are not stand alone, they influence each other. High damage is a lot more significant if you also attack fast. So STR and AGI actually support each other. The more STR you have the more useful gets AGI and the other way around. But both are useless if you don't have DEX because otherwise you won't hit. But wait, there is also LUK that causes critical which always ignore defense and always hit. So one could also opt for LUK instead of DEX. And the resulting classes are all viable, though they are viable for different situations. A class with high LUK for example is good against monster with high flee or defense, but bad against the rest. A class with high STR and AGI is good against all monsters that don't have a high hit rate because you will almost nullify the damage you take.

That's why RO is the best game in that regards. No other game is this amazing in term of character growth.
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you.
    Pyr3D.com - My 3D Character Artist Folio
    ---

Q&A 10: http://blog.treeofsavior.com/en/?p=221

No new unique classes this time, but a bit insight into the equip/drop system.

Rock Man Reputation: 14

Too many classes MIGHT be bad, but damn if everything doesn't look gorgeous.

I'm just hoping PvP will be as fast paced as RO1 and I'll definitely be playing the heck out of this game.

And yes, RO1's stat system was an absolute beauty. It's not even just the hybrid stat builds due to increasing stat costs, but that there were stat breakpoints and thus people built their characters around the gear they had. Yeah sure, there were some builds where 99/99/25 was the best, but there are (almost) always other stat builds for the same class, even for PvP.

Super Duper Uber Mega Ultra Extreme Reputation: 10

My good sir, I don't think there can be too many classes. For this game at least. I love the idea of becoming a class most people haven't even discovered yet. It'll finally give me the feel that I can be unique, especially in a world where a lot of mmos promise that. Yet, have 4 classes and in the end everyone's fighting to get the same stuff and you just blend in with the crowd. Yeah I really hope it turns out to be as smooth and as beautiful as it looks!

Raider of Empty Tombs Reputation: 10

This game cannot release soon enough, damn.

Raiyne's Rock Band Reputation: 28

Quote Originally Posted by Rya.Reisender View Post
    Yeah, I don't see that problem either. Make all movements being controlled server-sided and then there can't be any "Instant kill monster" hacks. As for exploiting weaknesses - well those exploits can be fixed or simply be considered a legitimate tactic.

I didn't mind that in RO there were tricks to kill off a strong MVP. It still required a lot of training and good teamwork (coordination) to get this working in the first place, so why not reward it? If it's too cheap, fix the exploit.
    (Most big RO exploits only worked on private servers anyway.)

Not that RO is a good example though. No exploits is always better. And it's quite possible to not leave any cheap tricks. If you look at any modern AAA title none of them have cheap tricks to kill off a strong boss.

Risk = Reward will always be best.

True, if you just consider PVP, then there are only 1-2 viable builds per class, but in PVE there are hundreds of viable builds, all good for a different situation and location.

Games that just have "Put X stat points per level" almost always end up with "Physical attackers put all in STR, magical attackers put all in INT", because maximizing damage is always the most viable solution. Any single point into a defensive stat will just mean your damage sucks later on.

Regarding the class system, I understood it so that even if you stay Wizard, it's a new class and can't be taken back.
    I think of it like RO's class system except that instead of splitting into 2 classes, it splits into 3 classes wheras one class has the same name as the previous class just with added title. They called it "Tier 2" but might as well imagine just putting a "High" in front of Wizard for example.

Q&A 7 is up: http://blog.treeofsavior.com/en/?p=180
    And yet if I'm a Wizard, the only stats I need are dex and int. Priest? int, dex and vit. Skills don't crit, so why stat luck? lol. I've never touched that stat and took it serious and it's usually 1.

IMO, Dofus has a better stat system.

Link's Dirty Sock Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by feyte View Post
    Too many classes MIGHT be bad, but damn if everything doesn't look gorgeous.

I'm just hoping PvP will be as fast paced as RO1 and I'll definitely be playing the heck out of this game.

And yes, RO1's stat system was an absolute beauty. It's not even just the hybrid stat builds due to increasing stat costs, but that there were stat breakpoints and thus people built their characters around the gear they had. Yeah sure, there were some builds where 99/99/25 was the best, but there are (almost) always other stat builds for the same class, even for PvP.
    In this game you're able to actively attack with your main and off-hand by pressing Z or C. In RO, the only time you can "block" is by using a skill like defending aura or shield reflect. In this game you're able to defend whenever you want without having to depend on it as a skill. So in terms of difficulty, I'd say it beats RO's battle mechanics by a huge margin. You can already imagine scenarios where an enemy would kill you with one shot in RO but in this game depending on how you move or block you can avoid that. It's an action rpg.

This game will have a lot of classes but the good thing about it is...even if you decide to stay as a certain class your skills for that specific class will still get a boost. This way the other classes won't outgrow you. The more classes and combinations a game have, the more unique each and everyone can be. Isn't this a good thing? The moment when 80% of the population want to be a certain class because it's "popular" or "easier" to play that's when you have a sign that the game is failing.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast