Inventions

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 69

Default Inventions

So, I got an idea for an invention from an impromptu creation I made to make my veeeery pregnant wife more comfortable.
    It works and she uses it constantly. I am fairly sure it doesn't already exist and can't find anything like it on the internet.

What should I do?

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    So, I got an idea for an invention from an impromptu creation I made to make my veeeery pregnant wife more comfortable.
    It works and she uses it constantly. I am fairly sure it doesn't already exist and can't find anything like it on the internet.

What should I do?
    File a patent?
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[8/13]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 567

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    File a patent?
    That depends. Filing a patent costs money.

Even if you are not going ahead with applying for a patent, make a journal about your discovery, so that you can demonstrate that you had the idea. You might not need a patent, but you don't want someone litigating your right to the idea away.

Everything else is a question about risks, financially speaking. It depends on your situation and how you can/want to utilize external funds.

Stay frosty.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

That's cool. You could make lots of money if you are lucky, and if it already exists then your waifu is comfy!
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 69

I checked the patent records. Couldn't find a match. The process looks daunting.
    I have got to try to summon some motivation...

Edit:
    I was going to complain about not having motivation but that made me feel like a worthless sh*t; which gave me some motivation.

Drawing designs and starting a design journal now.
    Last edited by FarmerM; 05-20-2014 at 07:10 AM.

I don't know the costs of maintaining a patent in the US are. Thing is, when you have a detailed journal as evidence, you can theoretically just pitch your idea to a company, for a licensing deal.

Daunting? Well, I'd say, get a lawyer or some sort of patent agent and let them council you. Be careful about who you share anything with though. They might think you are a paranoid nut, but you only got things to loose. It's not unheard of that patent lawyers try to claim ideas as their own.
    Navigating databases is a chore. Better double and tripple check, it can be hard to gauge at the firs time. (Just try to find a patent on any kind of technology now popular in use, to see that it can be quite hard to really find what you are looking for, leave alone say with confidence that something isn't already done.)

Stay frosty.

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I don't know the costs of maintaining a patent in the US are. Thing is, when you have a detailed journal as evidence, you can theoretically just pitch your idea to a company, for a licensing deal.

Daunting? Well, I'd say, get a lawyer or some sort of patent agent and let them council you. Be careful about who you share anything with though. They might think you are a paranoid nut, but you only got things to loose. It's not unheard of that patent lawyers try to claim ideas as their own.
    Navigating databases is a chore. Better double and tripple check, it can be hard to gauge at the firs time. (Just try to find a patent on any kind of technology now popular in use, to see that it can be quite hard to really find what you are looking for, leave alone say with confidence that something isn't already done.)
    if you don't have a patent, anyone can take your idea and use it. Until you have "patent pending" status, your idea is pretty much up for grabs. Sure, you can produce your idea, but hten someone else could, too. Then they could file for the patent. Then you would have to have undeniable proof that you came up with the idea first. I don't think writing on a journal would fulfill that.

As for fees, between the lawyer, the professional draft/drawing, and other fees, you're probably looking at least $2,500 to $3,000.
    Last edited by ApocaRUFF; 05-20-2014 at 07:08 PM.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[8/13]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    Then you would have to have undeniable proof that you came up with the idea first. I don't think writing on a journal would fulfill that.
    Actually that's the only point of the journal.

Even if you get a patent granted and you have no documented proof of your idea, people can sue you out of your patent.

The patent is the final step (though not the goal, the goal is making money and/or the world a better place). The question is, what are the costs of getting there and how to maintain it. You need to document it, if you are not in a company which forces you to write documentation on your work routinely. It's the first step, it's not mandatory and if you ignore it your patent will be worthless, if attacked.

A patent is also only really valuable if you know that it will detere a specific danger of imitation or litigative action.
    If that is never going to happen, it can still be personally ruinous to maintain a patent out of your own funds, for decades, without getting a cent of guaranteed returns. Getting it is an option, if you are a business and legal genius that is ready to risk a steep amount on capital, by shouldering the production on your own, with 100% of that capital coming from you or a bank.

That isn't a sane proposition for an individual. Of course it promisses the biggest returns for the worst odds of success. Kinda like lottery playing where one ticket has the chance of 1/20th of winning, but it costs your lifesavings.

That is why it would be better to file for a patent at the monent where you have someone who you will license it too, with a prior deal signed, if you can make it happen. After that you can expect a steady income and either pay the patent out of your pocket, if you are risk-inclined, or let the production-party pay the patent fees as part of the agreement.

Why file a patent on something while you never know if you can even produce it, let alone put it to the market on a profit? It's only worth as much as it can earn you. Before that it's a moneysink.

In case, he doesn't mind the chance of being one of the 2 out of 3 companys that go bancrupt before turning any profit, he should go ahead, file for a patent imediately, found a company, take a massive loan from the bank and start hiring people.
    If he doesn't want to risk his families financial future that way, I tried to point towards alternatives.

His choice, essentially.
    On each of the steps that is. Maybe he has ~10.000$ to waste? Why not file for a patent right away? That only sets him back the cost of a used car, right? I duno, I'd trade a patent that isn't ever used for a used car in a blink.
    It's all a matter of choice. His patent could be something that bombs, it could be something that makes him richer than rich. It could also be defeated by a product of a competitor, who painted it red and claims that it's now a completely new product, while he is spending the rest of his life in court.
    The thing is you can't afford out of the door, if you are starting your own gig, to just send some people there. Living out your life in court isn't what you want to do in any case. I for my part would rather give an idea away free than spend my life in court and all my money too. Well, that's about the strongest argument I can come up with, against starting a company on a patent, rather than on the idea of satisfying a well known need. If you can't survive loosing that one shot, take that into consideration before you shoot, because it's a long shot. (If you don't have a rather large income ready to be used in such strifes to your enjoyment, in that case; Why are you even asking?)
    Last edited by Ronin; 05-20-2014 at 09:05 PM.

Stay frosty.

call me chicken strips Reputation: 534

Tell me the idea. If it's a good one, I'll make a ton of money and let you know it was a good one.

Reading: You Just Don't Understand!: Women and Men in Conversations by Deborah Tannen (50%)
    Last read: A Child Named "It" by Dave Pelzer (NOT BAD), A Dance With Dragons by GRRM (4.5/5), A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (3.5/5)

Interested in why I picked these books, or want to recommend me some more? Just pm me. I love books.