Best Website to learn C++?

Roxane's Roadkill Reputation: 92

Default Best Website to learn C++?

I have no prior coding experience and want to learn C++ . Code Academy looks sick but they dont offer C++. What other website would offer me lessons on this? Thanks

The Undead Reputation: 417

You won't find anything as user friendly as Code Academy for C++ because C++ is a compiled language, which makes it difficult to run the code on a website.

If you've never coded before, it might be a good idea to use Code Academy and learn Python, it's a great starter language.

If that doesn't tickle your taste buds then just google around.

http://www.learncpp.com/
    http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

There's also youtube "courses". You're probably better off buying a good book in the long run though.

Roxane's Roadkill Reputation: 92

Quote Originally Posted by Z0MBiE View Post
    You won't find anything as user friendly as Code Academy for C++ because C++ is a compiled language, which makes it difficult to run the code on a website.

If you've never coded before, it might be a good idea to use Code Academy and learn Python, it's a great starter language.

If that doesn't tickle your taste buds then just google around.

http://www.learncpp.com/
    http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

There's also youtube "courses". You're probably better off buying a good book in the long run though.
    Thanks a lot. Any good books that you might recommend? Thing is, I don't mind learning Python at all but I have a limited amount of time, and since I NEED to learn C++, it might as well be spent on that. Not saying that Python wont be helpful, but I would rather learn what I have to. Thanks for your help again.

Pipster's Punk Reputation: 277

i recommend programming: principles and practice using c++ by bjarne stroustrup, re. books to learn from.

it might be best to get a handle on c before tackling c++ though, since c++ is basically c with more stuff, obviously. for that i would recommend the c primer plus by stephen prata.

if you need to look up answers to problems on the internet, stack overflow is yr best friend.

- - - Updated - - -

also, forgive me for being super nerdy and quoting this:

"Real names tell you the story of things they belong to in my language, in the Old Entish as you might say. It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to.
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers

this applies to c++. it takes a lot of work to write anything, and it takes a lot of work before you're ready to write anything really exciting. just keep that in mind, i guess.
    Last edited by postrook; 05-25-2014 at 12:11 AM.
    I hate TALKING. to PEOPLE. about THINGS.

Quote Originally Posted by ZormaX View Post
    Any good books that you might recommend?
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...guide-and-list

Eternal Cowboy Reputation: 577
    Jacksonville Jaguars: 2018 Superbowl Champs

this site helped me immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSkald View Post
    this site helped me immensely.
    thanks, now I'm a wizard. what do I even do with all this magics?
    Last edited by Z0MBiE; 05-25-2014 at 11:33 AM.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 195

Quote Originally Posted by ZormaX View Post
    Thanks a lot. Any good books that you might recommend? Thing is, I don't mind learning Python at all but I have a limited amount of time, and since I NEED to learn C++, it might as well be spent on that. Not saying that Python wont be helpful, but I would rather learn what I have to. Thanks for your help again.
    If you want to learn c++ it's better to have a extra language anyway, so just do what zomb suggested. My guess is also you probably want to make games...

The point of learning Python first is that it teaches you some fundamental programming concepts that can be used in pretty much any language. And it teaches them easily and quickly.

Spend a week or two following something like Learn Python The Hard Way (it's actually not hard) and then when you get around to learning C++ syntax (which can look a bit daunting to the beginner), it'll be a lot easier because you've seen the same concepts in a more basic form.

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 69