So, is Black Gold worth getting any hype for?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Retired Staff Reputation: 492

Default So, is Black Gold worth getting any hype for?

So, Black Gold Online opened up their website for preorders today -- although the game is going to be free to play, you can drop 20 bucks for some extra goodies, I don't know if I'm quite interested in that.

YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

The game piques my interest because of the inclusion of a lot of "interesting" classes, like a Spectromancer and Spellsword. It has a faction-based PvP mode. It has vehicles that you can control with action-like controls, and it reminds me a lot of Neosteam. Neosteam, although it was an extremely buggy and unpolished game, holds a dear place in my heart because of the PvP it had, and I really dug the whole Steampunk vs. Magic thing that is carried in Black Gold too.

Has anyone played in the Alpha and tell me if I should waste any time pursuing it? It's been a while since I've played an MMO, and now that I have a tiny bit more free time than I did earlier this year, it might be something worth keeping an eye on... or so I hope.

Game Journalist Reputation: 421

I wrote a beta review for the game on OnRPG. I don't know if it's worth the $20, just because the way Snail handled their Age of Wushu pre-orders (that is, they didn't handle them at all and ended up just giving away hard copies of the game like a year after people should have got their pre-order rewards). However, it does seem that the team working on Black Gold is more professional than the team they had working on Age of Wushu.

As for the game itself, I find it decent. I love the steampunk setting, the mech/battle carrier portion of the game is fantastic. The combat is fun (in my opinion) as well. However, I don't think the combat truly shines until after you turn on Third-Person Mode. Otherwise it just feels like a regular point-and-click that has somewhat buggy controls.

So, if you're alright with a themepark MMO, enjoy steampunk settings, are alright with taking a chance on Snail, and like Mechs, I would say you should definitely invest $20 into this game as you'll enjoy it a great deal.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Retired Staff Reputation: 492

I'm thinking there's a little bit of time left to try the closed beta, today's the last day. Found a key online and I'm downloading it now. Thanks for your input.

A Shrubbery Reputation: 76

skills casting is clunky,better go for swordsman

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 220

It's really not that good at all. Like even with the different control schemes and even with the cursor mode that feels like an "action" game, it still play really atrociously bad, like the one game I could compare this to in terms of bad combat would be Divine Souls in that sense. Definitely not worth dropping even a single cent in my honest opinion.

McFox Sandwich Reputation: 31

It's alright, but not worth spending money on, at least not yet.
    Last edited by Cripstar; 05-29-2014 at 06:44 AM.
    Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/daeoc
    Come and stop by sometime, I stream mainly JRPGs, WRPGs, Shooters, Horror, MMOs, and MOBAs. Currently, the focus is on JRPGs with a mixed bag of everything else.

Rock Man Reputation: 32

the game feels like a cheap shovelware MMORPG from several years ago, it's worse than most F2Ps I've played

Game Journalist Reputation: 421

God damn guys, I feel like we played two different games. Sure it wasn't great, but I had a decent amount of fun in it due to the PVP. But I guess that's because I'm a steampunk and mech fan.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

McFox Sandwich Reputation: 31

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    God damn guys, I feel like we played two different games. Sure it wasn't great, but I had a decent amount of fun in it due to the PVP. But I guess that's because I'm a steampunk and mech fan.
    I am a fan of Steampunk, but I dunno ... I'll probably give it another try when the Open Beta starts.
    Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/daeoc
    Come and stop by sometime, I stream mainly JRPGs, WRPGs, Shooters, Horror, MMOs, and MOBAs. Currently, the focus is on JRPGs with a mixed bag of everything else.

Roxane's Roadkill Reputation: 92

Wtf its bryan!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast