GW2 or Rift: Who wants to play?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 10

Default GW2 or Rift: Who wants to play?

Honestly, I'd rather not play either of these two games. I'm just trying to kill time until either I find a job or some kind of work or hobby, I got back to college, I lose my sanity, or ArcheAge goes into OB. Whichever comes first.

I remember Rift looking very promising when I first saw it come out, and it sounded good enough, but I remember playing it and seeing how gray, plain, boring, and rectangular-looking my Human male character looked. Don't get me wrong, I think the Human males in TERA look ridiculous, with their big-ass neck muscles and triceps, ridiculously large jaw-line, their bulky and barrel-shaped torsos with a surprisingly small waist, and bulgy arm and leg and thigh muscles, and big, muscular, stupid-looking heads, and big hands and feet, but that's part of what made them look so fun. They looked like toy soldiers or action figures! RESCUE HEEE-ROOOOS!!! In Rift, my character...looked like a rectangular cardboard cutout.

After struggling on deciding certain things about my character, and after completing the tutorial, and after looking at some videos of the game, I lost all interest in it and stopped playing.

I'm tempted to play Guild Wars 2 since I already know what class and (I think) what race I want to play as in that game, and I already paid for it, stupid me. The game does not entirely appeal to me in aesthetics or style, but it is better looking and feeling than most MMORPGs. I don't know why, but I don't like how they handle dying in the game. I kind of feel like if I die or I kill a player, they should stay dead, but I haven't played the game enough to make firm judgment of this system. Also, I never got past the beginner area. I played with a few different classes and races, and then I stopped. I plan on playing as an Asura Engineer, because I like technical, challenging, and gun-based classes, and playing as an Asura Engineer kind of reminds me of Ratchet & Clank. Also, once AA comes out or I go back to college, I'm most likely am going to forget all about GW2 again.

I played the Secret World for awhile, and I really got into it! But I still ended up quitting the game pretty quickly. I guess I had so much fun investigating, solving puzzles, evading deadly security beams, and seeing the plot unfold in Kingsmouth, that I totally forgot that I was playing an MMORPG! And then the game swiftly reminded me that I was, indeed, playing an MMORPG by requiring me to grind enough to get some good-enough skills to handle some tough-ass zombies guarding the hanger where the next plot point was located, and I was like "Oh! *Le quit*".

I tried playing Aion Online, and maybe I was getting to the good part of the game, but after the novelty of piloting a minimecha that was basically just an infinite buff with a minimecha skin for it that was required to be activated to use most of the skills wore off, and after I made it to level 30 and found that I was still as broke as shit, I still had few skills to use, and I still was grinding and quest-grinding on boring, linear, solid ground, I got bored and quit.

I would go back to playing Mabinogi, the only MMORPG that I feel gave me what I was looking for other than ArcheAge (assuming ArcheAge does not suck or get screwed over in NA), but long story short, I need to reset my account password, but the email address it sends the email to is an old one I stopped using because the password won't work (or I forgot it), and it won't reset, and I can't get any customer support to reset it. The email I used as a backup for the case of this is an even older one I don't use anymore that got recycled by Yahoo.

I contacted Nexon's customer support about this by submitting a ticket, and they said they needed more info. So I gave them more info. Then I got a message saying that their traffic of tickets is high right now, and that I would need to wait longer for a response. So I waited and waited, and no response.

I could start over in Mabinogi, but I really don't want to because one, I payed for a rare dragon mount and I really want it back, especially since I don't have any money right now, and two, ArcheAge is the game that I am hoping will replace Mabinogi in my book, and it feels like Christmas: Just around the corner.

I've considered playing RaiderZ, but it just fails to interest me, for some reason. Even with it's combat.

So, what does anyone say? Is it worth it to try and play GW2 or Rift, or should I just go back to modded minecraft and/or get a f**king job, which is nearly impossible because society and the economic suck?

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 80

Getting a job will not solved your problem. P2P games suck as well. Though you will have about 8hrs less time per day to wonder what games to play next.
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you.
    Pyr3D.com - My 3D Character Artist Folio
    ---

Fat Bowser Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by ASNZern View Post
    Getting a job will not solved your problem. P2P games suck as well. Though you will have about 8hrs less time per day to wonder what games to play next.
    Hahaha thissss

Quote Originally Posted by ASNZern View Post
    That's the only reason I even want to work: To get away from the house and make the summer go by faster.

I originally wanted to get a job so I could get enough money to get closer to getting a vehicle, but then reality set it, and it turns out that getting a vehicle while in college requires working while in college, which is not wise and kind of what I am supposedly trying to avoid doing. So now I just want to work just to get money for things I want like games (not MMORPGs) or instruments, and to get out of the house. I don't care if I get paid $7.00 an hour or less and only get to work for 5 hours, but it turns out that getting a summer job is not only a tedious thing to apply for, but incredibly rare, apparently.

So I've considered doing volunteer work. Even if it is just at some hospital near home. But then they want me to pay for volunteer work, especially in a different country.

So now, it's either hitchhiking via people on Craigslist (something my dad suggested), or spending the summer babysitting my baby sister and doing chores for 1/4 to 1/2 of the waking day for me!

Man, I feel your pain. Not in the same situation, but the effect is similar.

I mean, you do have a few options.
    1. Pick an MMO. But you will most likely get bored of it again. It always happens. P2P or F2P doesn't really make any difference. So, instead of grinding lvls and get even more bored, pick something fast and quick. Like MOBA or Co-Op/PvP. Think of Mass Effect 3 MP, Warframe, ZMR, or stuff like that.
    2. Play Singleplayer games instead. This works with me for quite awhile. Like Tropico series, or Endless franchise. Assassin's Creed or stuff like that if you enjoy them.
    3. Start learning/practicing what you want to do in the future. I don't know what you want to do after you finish education, but it doesn't hurt to start early (if you haven't already). I just got myself into serious 3D Graphic last year. And many times it's much more fun than playing games. From time to time I'd update my website and change layout, and it's a heck lot of fun.
    4. Pick a hobby. If you like hitchhiking, go hitchhiking. Personally I do ballroom dancing. I like music, and the dancing pretence helps an introvert like me to mingle with people(guys and girls, yeah). Most ballroom dancers are also quite like-minded. They work in IT or computer and stuff and it's awesome for networking for me. It does cost money though. Unless you can get a studio to train you and pay you to teach their students. That's what happened to me.

Well, good luck with your Summer :P
    ---

Well, I looked at Black Gold for a bit. At the first trailer I saw, it seemed kind of promising. I usually don't really care for brown, Steampunk, post-apocalypse-looking and feeling games, but it looks nice for what it is. It looked like it was going to be another open-world MOBA, but maybe that's the kind of game I need right now!...just not the game that I want.

So I got to looking at some of the gameplay videos, and now I wish it WAS an open-world MOBA. It kind of looks like it's just going to be a repeat of ARGO Online, and just be another run-of-the-mill F2P MMORPG with being able to pilot mechas and weird flying vehicles as a gimmick. I feel like I'd be better off just playing GW2 again.

I used to play the shit out of GetAmped 2, and I've been considering playing C9. I know I like to play on all kinds of servers on Blockland a lot. It's always a great time-waster.

As far as single player games go, I've been meaning to find and play Monster Hunter Tri again, or if I get lucky, find and play Steambot Chronicles again! I have also been considering playing Skyrim again, since it is, not easier, but less time-consuming to mod than Minecraft, and isn't piss-easy like Minecraft.

As far as hobbies and things I want to do in the future go, I'm studying to be a Geography major, but only because I am interested in the earth and plant-life and the movement patterns of other people, and I can supposedly get a job in some Central or South American country...I have no idea where to begin studying for this other than studying the book for my upcoming classes.

I am planning on minoring in CS so I can at least maybe get some IT job in Memphis if I don't find some job in Geography in another country right-away. Also, because I want to learn a bit of coding to see if I'm good at it and if I would enjoy it. The little bit I've tried I DID get some satisfaction out of it.

I also want to learn how to code so that I will AT LEAST know how to make a website so I can maybe put up some web-comic or web-story for this story idea that I have, if not use it towards game development and make it into a game some day. Preferably AAA, but I'd be happy and honored to make it an Indie game series.

I have also been working on some song-writing and I've been meaning to practice singing. I've also been wanting to learn how to play an instrument: Another reason why I wanted a job, so I could get money for an instrument. I haven't really gotten around to doing it much, though. I'd be willing to show you, if you were a talent scout...or if you were a chick...and anywhere near Memphis...just joking.

I haven't really felt any drive to do any of these things, though. It's strange, because I didn't feel this way at college, but now at home, everything just sort of feels like a burden to do, and I can barely stay focused on anything that doesn't immediately give me some feeling of gratification and entertainment. I think I'm suffering from ADHD or depression, or some shit like that.

Ape for Diddy Reputation: 48

There's always outside and friends.

Not when you live out in the middle of the country, have no vehicle, and no money. Though I do know one guy I've been meaning to play SFXT with.

Oh, and thanks for wishing me luck, ASNZern!
    Last edited by Glace1221; 06-06-2014 at 04:37 AM.

Samus' Girdle Reputation: 12

Just be lucky you have the choice to sit at home and not work, not many people get that chance. As for the main question its really up to you, ive been enjoying gw2 since launch but its all personal preference just play games and find the one you can stick with.

OP, there are many free website that will teach you programming and coding. You can get started in C# or C++, as well as HTML and CSS. And you can make your own website and try some coding to make games. I did try to learn to programming but I couldn't wrap my head around it.
    ---

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast