Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 50 of 50

Thread: My dear otaku nerdlings, may I present to you...

  1. #26
    Super Moderator Reputation: 424

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    6,679
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    lol cartoons how old r u guys

  2. #27
    Banned Reputation: 302

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Rainbow
    Posts
    1,073
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    Yes... because skirts showing 7 miles of leg were not intended to be sexy.
    There's generally a difference between sexy and "inappropriate." The line does differ from person to person.

    Sailor Moon had lots of the former. To my knowledge there really wasn't any "fan service" or strong focus on it. No old men with nose bleeds or anything like that.

    It definitely sexualized women albeit in a fairly passive way.

    I may think differently if each scout wasn't designed to be an early 90's 8-10.
    Yes, all that "seven miles" of cartoon leg. That's just oh-so erotic!

    May I inform you that the creator of Sailor Moon is a woman. Her name is Naoko Takeuchi. She did intend for the senshi to be sexy, but not in the way that is offensive and over-the-top.

    She didn't create the costumes with the thought of "I want to give boys bners."

    Moreover, in Japan and South Korea, short shorts and skirts are common and socially acceptable.

  3. #28
    Pipster's Punk Reputation: 83
    M1nGs3N4yuk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Behind You
    Posts
    2,489
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoSam View Post
    Moreover, in Japan and South Korea, short shorts and skirts are common and socially acceptable.
    Short shorts and skirts are also common and socially acceptable here in Los Angeles. What's your point?

  4. #29
    HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204
    FarmerM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,263
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    As I said, it's passive sexualization. Meaning it may not have been intended. She may have designed the characters based on a subconscious template of what she thinks women need to be based on years of past sexualization.

    Meaning, she may not have sat down and said "I want to make my characters sexually appealing." But if she didn't most likely believes sex appeal is important by default.

    The same can be said on fashion. We wear things for various reasons. Such as supporting a cause, making a statement, simple comfort, or style.

    I really don't see how any but the latter -really- apply to short skirts and booty shorts.
    So, what makes them stylish? Because they're sexy. They show off/complement the body.

    Yes. Short Skirts and Booty Shorts may be "common and socially acceptable" but that, with limited exception, only applies to those of "ideal" physique.


    Sailor Moon characters were, in part, designed by the preconceived notion that women should be fit a certain template. While it does not actively promote sexualization, it is passively present and as a result it continues to spread the idea subliminally.

    And that type of subliminal message from a child's Hero can make a lasting impression.

  5. #30
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 640
    Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hitman Victor
    Posts
    6,309
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Everything is a template. You can't make an argument out of the idea that a show presents one.
    If you ban pictures of people in all shows, or replace woman by black blobs,but that's a template too.

    The funny thing is this is never going to be about girls "shocked by the way the hero desses".
    It's always going to be about older generation folks, especially parents, becoming "concerned".

    It's not going to "protect girls/woman from sexual deviants", if you teach them that sex is bad and for this reason they must submit control over any aspect of their life that has something to do with that.
    I would believe that at least half of all grown up woman know as much about fashion, as amounts to "how to dress like shit, so no one will look at them".
    I will tell you one thing, a not "model type" girl will might gain some self confidence, if their parents put them in a potato sack, tell them that being pretty is the devils work and all other girls will go to hell. Still that look is ugly and it's from the inside that "supposedly" matters more, because you can "supposedly" put a number on that too.

    As a final disclaimer: I don't have any concerns about what any kind of woman chooses in later life. Yes it's all media inprints, because heck, who the hell designs their own fashion, furniture and the look of their car? The thing is, that the idea here is that woman don't deserve that choice, they don't deserve to find out on their own what fits and if they do they are sluts, dumb, media controlled and setting a bad example.

    Actually that show is for an age of girls which naturally would experiment with clothing, would we let them. But we can't.
    This is woman we talk about.
    Can't have them running around doing whaterver they damn well please.
    Last edited by Ronin; 06-09-2014 at 10:58 AM.

    Stay frosty.

  6. #31
    Banned Reputation: 302

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Rainbow
    Posts
    1,073
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    Snip.
    It's a cartoon; a form of self-expression and entertainment, and it is far from displaying objectification. Ok, so lots of men think the art is sexy. Guys think anything they are sexually attracted to is sexy. Put an attractive, full-clothed woman on TV and people will still sexualize her. Why? Because hetero guys like girls. That's biology.

    Personally, I don't consider the original anime characters to be sexy. The art just doesn't do it for me. I think the sex appeal is way overrated, but I do think they're cute. The manga, however, is sexy.

    It's real peoples' behaviors and the depictions of real people that influence society to mistreat women based on their appearance and clothing. Sure, those elements are present in cartoons, but a cartoon depiction of strong girls who do positive acts and happen to have cute clothes, is not part of that problem. Clothing is not what makes bad behavior. It's the mentality that it does.

    The cartoons that depict girls as helpless, unintelligent, and other negative stereotypes, are so much more harmful than just a simple short skirt. If children had resources, good influences, and a healthy environment throughout their lives, they likely wouldn't view women as sex objects, even with fictional cartoons on their TV screens.

    While I probably wouldn't be a fan of cartoons depicting harems of women that are ditsy, big-titted decorations, I wouldn't be opposed to them. Because I can differentiate between real life, fantasy, and personality traits to legitimately judge people based on, so why can't you? Unless you are autistic and the like, you should be fully capable of making those distinctions too. Again, it's just a matter of having the right resources and influences in your life.

    This patriarchal, manly-man, bros before hos, blame-women-for-all-my-problems-I-can't-control culture stimulates sexual objectification. That's what you should really be targeting. Because you, yourself, are participating in and facilitating society's sexualization culture by tunnel-visioning on women's legs as only a sexual organ, rather than a human body part. THAT is objectification.

  7. #32
    Game Journalist Reputation: 484

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    6,701
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or ******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

  8. #33
    HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204
    FarmerM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,263
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Sexualization and objectification. Not the same thing unless you're an asshat.
    I know it's possible for a woman to be smart, strong, funny and sexy.

    The point is that the media has it drilled into our minds and culture that the latter is also required or it some how diminishes the other more important qualities.

    It's a common issue for adolescence/teenagers, male and female. They can be f*cking awesome, for lack of a better adjective. However they are often tormented by others and by themselves if they don't meet visual standards.

    This mindset isn't just instilled on males. I have personally never seen a man refuse to be friends with another just because one is -ugly.- I have however seen women DESTROY each other emotionally just because one has apparent physical flaws.

    There's nothing wrong with being attractive, I just hate all the douchebaggery that results due to the media imprint.
    I hate seeing people suffering with anorexia, bulimia, depression and myriad of other problems because they don't think they meet what is "common and socially acceptable."

    Sailor Moon does nothing to dissuade from this.

    If you don't see a problem. F*ck.
    Last edited by FarmerM; 06-09-2014 at 08:29 PM.

  9. #34
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 640
    Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hitman Victor
    Posts
    6,309
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    Sailor Moon does nothing to dissuade from this.

    If you don't see a problem. F*ck.
    I don't see a problem with a TV show not dissuading.
    Society as it is, is unhealthy to the bone.
    The show does not play into that.
    Sailor Moon isnt a public health issue.

    Concerning bullying: Bullying isn't caused by the media. The direction it takes is casued by culture. Not letting children watch TV is not going to help.
    Last edited by Ronin; 06-09-2014 at 09:33 PM.

    Stay frosty.

  10. #35
    HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204
    FarmerM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,263
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    I don't see a problem with a TV show not dissuading.
    Society as it is, is unhealthy to the bone.
    I guess you also don't see the irony in that statement?


    That's the thing about passive influences. You often don't realize the effect.
    Modern media greatly influences culture. Saying media does not contribute to things like bullying is inaccurate to say the least.

    If you don't understand what I have said so far, you won't.

  11. #36
    Banned Reputation: 302

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Rainbow
    Posts
    1,073
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    asdf
    I agree the media plays massive roles in how men and women view each other and themselves. But again, because people can't differentiate between reality, fantasy, and how to actually treat each other, isn't a reason to censor Sailor Moon's short skirts.

    What you are implying is that all media, including exaggerated, unrealistic cartoons be censored to fit a mold of modesty and conservatism. I don't agree. 1. That's a Republican mind-set, and we all know Republicans are retarded. 2. That reminds me of the book called The Giver. Everything was controlled and perfect. There were no individuals and no one thought for themselves. I don't want to live in that type of world.

    We should be able to have a variety of shows depicting people in all sorts of ways, whether that be bad or good, and be capable of not confusing it with how we feel towards people in reality and ourselves. If we have good role models (parental guardians) and a good environment (society, I mean REAL society), kids wouldn't even have an issue.

    Moreover, if people were negatively affected by SM, I can assure you it is a very rare, small minority. These people also probably lacked resources and guidance as well. I never had that issue as a child. Not with SM, not with Barbies, not with anything that wasn't real. I only ever envied real girls.

    Lastly, there is this misconception that guys are less likely to pick apart flaws in people, while girls are more vicious. It's not true. Guys are just as bad, if not worse. Adolescent boys are more likely to say mean things to someone's face they don't like, while adolescent girls are more likely to talk behind someone's back. That was my experience when I was a child. Which actually makes sense because society urges women to be modest and mute, while men are allowed to be vocal and vulgar. Boys are also not likely to be friends with unattractive/geeky guys/girls unless they have confident and funny personalities. Men and boys are also less likely to date unattractive/overweight women, while women are more likely to be attracted to a man's personality than his exterior. Of course, that's not true for everyone.

    Additionally, if you've ever watched a video game stream, especially one with hundreds or thousands of viewers, the commenters tear people apart, constantly. "He's so fat." "She's ugly." "Show us your tits, slut." Et cetera. The majority of video game consumers/viewers are male. It only appears that women are crueler because so many hateful blogs based on who's the prettiest exist. It's just a matter of having a platform that is relevant to each respective social group's interests. Girls like celebrity blogs, boys like gamer blogs. Ironically, the latter isn't about physical appearance at all, yet it always degrades to that anyway. Both are infested with disrespectful individuals who lack a moral compass.

  12. #37
    Norrin Radd's Nerd Rage Reputation: 99
    Ryukiri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    1,677
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    sailormoon was pure, just like precure, wedding peach

    nobody i know were making rated R jokes about them except... tuxedo mask..

    they found him gay and made sexual jokes about him

    wat da fak

    this honey song is so old in korea probably like 7-9 years old, didnt know miku ripped it off lmao
    YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

  13. #38
    Banned Reputation: 302

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Rainbow
    Posts
    1,073
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryukiri View Post
    sailormoon was pure, just like precure, wedding peach

    nobody i know were making rated R jokes about them except... tuxedo mask..

    they found him gay and made sexual jokes about him

    wat da fak

    this honey song is so old in korea probably like 7-9 years old, didnt know miku ripped it off lmao
    It's mainly adult men who fetishize SM. Sailor Moon has so much hentai doujinshi and fan art, but so does like, every manga/anime.

    What's even more disturbing is that school girls are fetishized. :/ On the one hand I find school girl uniforms so cute and I like to wear them, but on the other hand, to fantasize and fetishize school girls publicly is so fcked up.

  14. #39
    Raiyne's Rock Band Reputation: 92
    Klaime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,135
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    I had a crush on Sailor Jupiter when I first saw it as a kid

  15. #40
    Banned Reputation: 302

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Rainbow
    Posts
    1,073
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Klaime View Post
    I had a crush on Sailor Jupiter when I first saw it as a kid
    I had and still have a crush on Tuxedo Mask. OuO He's so dreamy!

    Moon and Jupiter have always been my favorite senshi.

  16. #41
    HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204
    FarmerM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,263
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    I had and still have a crush on Tuxedo Mask. OuO He's so dreamy!

  17. #42
    Banned Reputation: 302

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Rainbow
    Posts
    1,073
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post

  18. #43
    HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204
    FarmerM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,263
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoSam View Post

  19. #44
    Banned Reputation: 302

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Rainbow
    Posts
    1,073
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    You can't facepalm my quote after I facepalmed your quote!

  20. #45
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 640
    Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hitman Victor
    Posts
    6,309
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    @Farmer
    I can follow you on the irony part, but I simply don't agree.
    The answer to bland food isn't less salt.

    Stay frosty.

  21. #46
    HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204
    FarmerM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,263
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Ronin, I think one of us may have had a small stroke because I don't understand that analogy.

  22. #47
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 640
    Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hitman Victor
    Posts
    6,309
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    Ronin, I think one of us may have had a small stroke because I don't understand that analogy.
    This is like:
    Stopping bullying by bullying the bullys?
    Trying to kill of murderers, by murdering them?
    Making culture progress by banning foreign influences?

    Fixing what is broken with US culture by saving it from importing a TV series from Japan?

    Any of that sounding like ideas of wisdom?
    Last edited by Ronin; 06-10-2014 at 12:56 PM.

    Stay frosty.

  23. #48
    HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204
    FarmerM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,263
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Nope. Your analogy does really match any of the things you just said. lol
    And what you said doesn't really pertain what I am talking about.

    I believe firmly in freedom of speech/expression.
    I however think people should be realize that freedom of speech doesn't mean that what you say/do does not have consequences or effect others. I think people should attempt to use their freedom wisely as to not effect others in negative ways.

    SM was just the topic on hand, no part of the argument was directed solely toward "foreign influence or media."
    Last edited by FarmerM; 06-11-2014 at 12:48 AM.

  24. #49
    Marineking's Minion Reputation: 366
    hian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    JAAAPAAAAAN
    Posts
    2,966
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    Meaning, she may not have sat down and said "I want to make my characters sexually appealing." But if she didn't most likely believes sex appeal is important by default.
    Well, isn't it?
    Just a though : What's the only qualifying factor that separates friends from lovers? I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's sex/physical intimacy. Lacking that, there is no difference. Lacking that, how does concepts like partner exclusivity, or cheating even make sense? Can you cheat on your friends by having other friends?

    Next question - What triggers feelings of physical attraction, and want of sex/sexual attention? Physical qualities that one appreciates. Some people might delude themselves into thinking it's personality, but seriously, tying together with my first point, why aren't you then pining after a lay with every single friend you have, who all have the personality traits you find attractive?

    Conclusion - physical traits are an enormous factor in driving our sexuality, and our sexuality is an enormous factor in our lives since we, as a species that propagate by having sex, are constantly being driven towards having sex.

    That desire, and the traits we find desirable will always find an expression in pretty much all of our endeavors for that reason. To expect men and women in media and art to be more homely, less beautiful, less sexy etc, is not only unrealistic(for why would anyone watch a show with a character that looks bad, if they could watch a character with the exact same traits personality-wise, that also looks good) - it's contrived and pointless.

    If anything, it's sex-negative.

    If you're making art, and you're giving your imagination free reigns, what's more likely to come out of it : Interesting individuals you find attractive, or uninteresting people you don't find attractive?

    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    Sailor Moon characters were, in part, designed by the preconceived notion that women should be fit a certain template. While it does not actively promote sexualization, it is passively present and as a result it continues to spread the idea subliminally. .
    Says you. Where does that template come from? Does it randomly pop out of the ether every hundred years, or has a lot of physical ideals stayed relatively static for ages?

    In any case, I reject your sentiment. It doesn't tell us how we ought to be, it tells us what the artist prefers. So unless you're going to judge people for expressing preference, which is a thought-crime-ish sentiment I find really creepy, there really isn't anything going on here.
    You can't derive ought from is, and media displaying an ideal is not the same as asking everybody to conform to it. People who feel that way need to work on their self-esteem and their understanding of reality, not ask reality to conform to the lowest common denominator of emotional frailty.

    It's a really odd sentiment if you think about it -
    Let's say I, for the sake of the argument, would never consider dating a women who doesn't wear short skirts, and high heels.
    If you argue that this is wrong of me because it forces women to conform to a sexual stereotype, you are essentially saying that I shouldn't have sexual preferences to save women from my evil compulsions because they're too weak and incompetent to decide for themselves whether they think it's important to cater to my sexual preferences or not.
    Or, you're saying that I should just date women regardless of what I actually desire, which implies that women are somehow owed a relationship with me based on a different set of qualities that I might not even care for to begin with, which is inane.

    Realistically speaking though, I am not going to take into account the sexual preferences of women I am not interested in, just as women who're not interested in me, aren't going to take my sexual preferences into account either. Of course, the reverse is true too. And that, by all accounts, is the way it should be.
    In either case, if people could just "grow a pair", and learn how to deal with/ignore "expectations", this issue wouldn't be worth talking about at all.

    At the end of the day, there are many male ideals I don't conform too, and certainly many women who will exclude me from their list of potential partners based on that alone, but I don't care, because I like who I am right now, and personally, I rather wouldn't want to be dating a women who thinks muscle-mass, or the amount of money I have in my savings account are the two biggest factors in deciding if I am worth going on dates with for a couple of times.

    Women can do that too you know. And if they did, nobody would give a rats ass about the length on the skirts of the girls in Sailor Moon. It all boils down to the allergic reaction society has to male sexual preference being displayed because some special snow-flakes out there can't handle it, because in their paranoid world-view, any such preference expressed means that a girl out there will go "omg, the Sailor Moon girls are popular and wear short skirts, so I guess I'm going to have to do that too, or society will really screw me over!"

    I mean seriously?

    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    And that type of subliminal message from a child's Hero can make a lasting impression.
    Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. I've never seen any empirical, double-blind scientific studies on the causal link of media/art and changes in the human psyche that suggests such a thing. Probably because it doesn't exist anywhere.

    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    The point is that the media has it drilled into our minds and culture that the latter is also required or it some how diminishes the other more important qualities.
    Eh no. I think human biology, and common sense dictates that when we select partners, we recognize viscerally that if we're going to only be looking at one partner, and having sex with one partner, for an extended period of time, it better be a partner we're really sexually attracted to.

    In fantasy land I.E Sailor Moon and Final Fantasy etc, every character is essentially an escape-ist ideal. Every single character is someone's ideal wonder-man or wonder-woman, because that's what humans generally project into their art, whether they know it or not.

    Bluntly put, every single fictional character ever made that hasn't been made with the specific purpose of being repugnant, is an expression of someone's ideal partner. That's why they are all, in the vast majority of cases, super attractive, one-dimensional, easily graspable stereotypical illusions.
    Not because society is shaping us up to take part in oppressive social structures, not because the sexes are at war with each other, not because most male artists are misogynist, or female artists are screechy fan-girl types - but because everybody deep down has some sort of wishy-washy ideal man/woman floating around in their mind, and once they sit down to make a fictional character, that man or woman is very likely to come popping out whether you know it or not.


    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    This mindset isn't just instilled on males. I have personally never seen a man refuse to be friends with another just because one is -ugly.- I have however seen women DESTROY each other emotionally just because one has apparent physical flaws.
    Then you either don't have enough male friends, live in a bubble, or simply aren't interested in seeing the other side of the coin.

    I know many men who have been bullied for physical flaws(I am one of them), by both other men, and by women. I know men who've ended up dying due to drug use and too much training trying to attain the best possible physique. I know men who are anorexic, and I know men who are bulimic. I know over-weight men who've killed themselves, and I know under-weight/short/squat men who suffer from depression because of body-image insecurity.

    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    There's nothing wrong with being attractive, I just hate all the douchebaggery that results due to the media imprint.
    I hate seeing people suffering with anorexia, bulimia, depression and myriad of other problems because they don't think they meet what is "common and socially acceptable."
    Often there is much more to the story than that though. It's very easy to say "this girl/boys suffers from body image issues due to social expectations", but that doesn't take into account factors like other earlier mental issues(born/earlier developed dispositions for depression and social anxiety), how they were raised etc.

    The problem is that social and personal expectations will never go away. They'll always be there.
    Trying to rain in on that can only be done by compromising free-speech, free artistic expression etc.

    Catching up on people with psychological issues before they implode on themselves, or focusing on raising kids capable of handling social pressures is ultimately much more constructive.
    You can teach kids to walk up-right, and focus on catching them when they fall, by constructive a society of positive rhetoric and strong social institutions for dealing with mental health issues from a young age.

    Creating a society where no expectations exist, or where everybody are treated like eggs, only creates further problems when those individuals who've been culled by the system, suddenly finds themselves in a situation where life isn't all that fair, or nice anymore.

    You can take high-heels, short skirts, slender models etc, out of all the art and the media, but it still isn't going to change the real problem. You're still going to have sexual preferences - you're still going to have men and women refuse to date people they don't find attractive, socially stigmatize people they find physically unattractive etc.
    People making funny of the short, the fat, the weak, the pimply, the handicapped etc, didn't begin with the 21st century. It's existed for all of recorded human history, and thus existed fine without the modern media formats to help it.

    So with that being said, why would anyone be naive enough to think that changing the media format now, will somehow have any meaningful effect on that at all?

    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    I believe firmly in freedom of speech/expression.
    I however think people should be realize that freedom of speech doesn't mean that what you say/do does not have consequences or effect others. I think people should attempt to use their freedom wisely as to not effect others in negative ways.
    And I think knowing that you live in a country where there is freedom of speech and artistic expressions means making an effort to not get "negatively impacted" by others use of those freedoms.
    Just like I don't accept in it when religious people use the "I get offended" argument when they hear atheists being critical of religion, I don't accept it when people try to rein in on art because of how it "portrays women/men".
    Art is personal - political art is called propaganda for a reason.
    By trying to attribute political meaning to art by default, all art is reduced to propaganda in a sense, because all people see is art in relation to political values. That's inane. I refuse to live in a society like that.

    Sailor Moon is Sailor Moor. It's an expression of that authors preferences and fantasies. If people don't like it, they don't have to watch it. If they dislike what is expressed within, they can express the reverse of those ideals in their own art, or in their own everyday lives.
    Going "this needs to stop"(granted,I know you don't - but to those who do) is the social equivalent of the cleaning technique where one puts all the dust and shit under the carpet, rather than throwing it out I.E not constructive at all.
    Last edited by hian; 06-11-2014 at 10:54 AM.
    The Common Sense United Front
    ZAZAZAZAAAA, DADADADAAAA DAAAA, SHWAMSHWAMSHWAMMMM DUUUU DIIIII DAAAAAAAAAA

  25. #50
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 640
    Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hitman Victor
    Posts
    6,309
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    I really am trying hard to see how Sailor Moon corrupts children into sex-fiends, but somehow I can't feather how silly the idea is.

    8-17 year old girls could be prohibited from spending their time with better, more Murican things like, for example, singing along to Miley while she simulates beating off and ****ing on stage with virtually no clothing on at all.

    Which is me saying this "discussion" is completely out of touch.

    Stay frosty.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •