Europa Universalis 4

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

Default Europa Universalis 4

Anyone played this? Got it on a whim the other day and I've put something like 40 hours into it so far. It's quite addicting once you get into it. I've played Castile about four times now, only once getting to the point where I became Spain, and have kept on restarting. About to start my fifth attempt. The reason for my restarts is learning more and more about the game and realizing mistakes I made early on. This time around, I have a much greater understanding of the trade system and the buildings.

Any tips/tricks/techniques/experiences to share? After I get done with this Castiel play-through, I want to start another campaign as one of the smaller nations that are a bit more difficult.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

Probably the best Risk game in existence. Pro-tip: Don't forget to submit your turn?
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

Quote Originally Posted by Phenoca View Post
    Probably the best Risk game in existence. Pro-tip: Don't forget to submit your turn?
    No turn submitting in EU-4 :P There are "turns" but it's done in a constant flow. You can pause the game, but I haven't figured out if you cn speed it up any.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]

So far, I've put about 74 hours into the game playing as Castile. Played several times, with my first game reaching into the late 1600's and my latest game is in 1491. My first game, I played by doing my best to appease France and forcing Aragon to become a part of me by conquest. I also hadn't invested much into exploration that time around, so in the 1600's I only had a few colonies off the coast of Florida, and hadn't even began preparing to colonize in America.

However, in my latest game, I took a super offensive route and did my best to crush France early on. It's been quite successful, in a way. Right now, a majority of France has been captured by me (and then released into vassal states, which I will later annex peacefully... It's just easier to have them as vassals for now). Unfortunately, I screwed up and was a bit to aggressive, causing much of Europe to enter into a Coalition against me. Thankfully, between my many vassals, my Personal Union with Aragon (via the Iberian Wedding event that triggered in the 1460's), and my strong alliance with Burgandy, I was able to fend them off and still pick apart a few pieces of France.

After that last European Conquest, I decided I should let some of the massive hate other countries had been feeling towards me cool down a bit. So, I decided to head South and finish off the Reconquista and take Tangiers and Melilla from Morocco. However, that got Tripoli and Tunisia into the foray. So, I figured, "**** it." and made them into vassals, along with taking Fez, Tangiers, and Melilla from Morocco. I'm debating whether or not I want to re-form Fez as a vassal or not. Doing so would require giving up Tangiers, which is important for keeping control of the Sevilla trade node to optimal levels.

At the same time as this, I decided I wanted to take one of the gold provinces from Mali, as I had just complete two colonies on Africa right next to them. This was easy enough, considering that Mali is at a military tech level of 3, compared to my 8. 5,000 of my infantry could take out 20,000 of their infantry/cavalry in an offensive fight with easy. Them attacking even a thousand of my men with the same numbers would be suicide for them.

However, the issues that arose were: All of my saved up Diplomacy points were consumed with taking Tripoli and Tunisia as vassals, and by taking the provinces from. I had just barely enough to take the single gold-producing provinces from Mali, which I did. Somewhere around there, Burgandy entered a war and I joined in, so I had four separate wars going, which drained my money fairly quickly, even with my vassals doing most (and completely destroying France) of the fighting in Europe. So, I fired my advisors to make sure I would have enough money to buy mercenaries in a pinch. This was a mistake, as, after making two vassals, on top of my others Vassals (Auvergne, Guyenne, Provence), and my alliances with Portugal and Burgandy, resulted in a negative balance of incoming Diplomacy points without my advisors, as my ruler (I have a different one now, thank RNGesus) had 0 in diplomacy (but 5 in military, and along with a + advisors + my natural gain resulted in a 9 military per month which as resulted in my superb military tech). To top it off, before I noticed I was in the negative with Diplomacy, I made Granada a vassal so I could just keep them from screwing me over with religious zealouts. So, quite quickly, I amassed around -40 diplomacy points.

Thankfully, my ruler died and a new one took over that has 5 in diplo, and along with an advisors I am not getting 2 diplo per turn instead of going into the negative.

So, now, after so much fighting, my military is in shambles, I've got two semi-large rebellions to put down in Africa (which is going to be a *****, considering my navy is also basically nothing right now... so I'll have to build a bunch of cogs to transport some forces down to Africa). I could turn Fez into a vassal, once I get Tangiers back from the rebels, but then I would just be back to gaining 0 diplo a turn (which honestly isn't much worse than the 1 or 2 I get right now), and I'm still at -26 diplo, which means absolutely no more conquest. So, right now I'm trying to up my friendliness with all my vassals to 190+ so that I can just Annex them. In another 23 years I can finally consume Aragon (and Naples... forgot about Naples, I got them in Personal Union along with Aragon at the same time).

The only good thing I have going for me right now is that I have so many vassals that I don't honestly need an army (although I DO, as I get a negative in their opinion towards me if their military is stronger than mine, but I can make up for that with other things), and that I'm getting 16+ gold per turn right now, which has added up to a decent amount and allowed me to add temples and constables for tax and production increases to most of my core provinces. Once I get Bambuk back from the Mali rebels, I should get even more. However, when I grow my military and and navy to the sizes I want, it'll probably go back down to 6-8 per turn, which isn't too bad.

I also need to start focusing more on my colonizing. I could be in the Americas right now, I believe, I just need to send out an explorer and a small army to protect a colony. And that reminds me. England has been growing quite a lot as I've kept France from keeping them in check. That means they, along with Portugal (which, oddly enough was in a Personal Union with England for a while, which really ****ed me up in one of my early French conquests as they were pulled into the coalition against me thanks to England), have a lot more colonies than me. Or at least I think they do. I could probably tell for sure if I check the ledger later.

This game is so addicting =_= Going to be spending a lot more time in Defiance this week, though. Also need to play Ascent The Space Game.
    -Cingal

So, I started up a new game as The Palatine as I wanted to accomplish two things: See what it was like playing within the HRE, and also see what it was like playing as a faction that started with just three provinces. Honestly, the first few years were the best. It was fun being the small Palatine, slowly expanding myself through politics and conquest. Eventually, I decided I wanted to form Germany, and that gave me a goal to work towards. So, after a few decades, I got all the provinces I needed to form Germany. From there, I started expanding out a bit, participating in some major wars. Most of them involving Russia and France (with France on my side).

I came into some problems facing Russia, actually. Even when my army was bigger, on the defending side, and was of the same tech level, I would often find myself losing Not 100% sure why this is. Maybe because of my army composition, or maybe Russia just has some insane bonuses.

Right now I'm in an odd situation. I'm sitting as Germany, and I rival the size of Austria. I've spent the past few decades developing the shit out of my country - a majority of my provinces have every upgrade in the administration and army lines. Plus the first two buildings in the production line. Even with a huge 100,000 man army at full upkeep, I make 25-30 ducats per month. I'm also on par with everyone else when it comes to military tech.

Despite this, I'm decidedly weaker in terms of military when it comes to some of the bigger names. Namely Russia and France. Until recently, I was a close ally with France - we've been allied for over 200 years, actually. However, someone sabotaged France' reputation and that caused my country to have a negative feeling towards France and our alliance was broke. So, figuring I needed another big ally, I friended up the Ottomans and allied them. Soon after that, I got into what was basically a world war (Basically every country in Europe and around Europe was involved). This ended up getting me against France in the war. Unfortunately, I found out pretty quick that France could kick my 56k stack armies with just 20-25k stacks. I'm guessing this is either due to superior military ideas or their damn 2-star generals. For some reason, Germany seems incapable of producing a decent general.

Anyways, I stopped here. I saved before the major war and I plan to not participate next time it comes around and instead continue to focus on developing Germany and getting more military ideas. I can't really expand anymore, as I don't have France as an ally, and France or Russia is allied with almost everyone I want to consume. For those that aren't, they're Catholic and right now France is the "defender of the faith" for the catholics and it's likely they'd join in if I tried. So I'm guessing the next decade or two will be quite boring for me. I might try and build up my navy. I haven't had any provinces bordering the sea until recently, so all I have is a few transport ships.
    -Cingal