Japanese Cartoon Suggestions

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 319

Finally went through and read everything and got all the suggestions (they were all pretty much good) And I've seen/am watching almost everything mentioned but:

Noein
    House of Five Leaves
    Gankutsuou (seen the original source and read the book though)
    Akira
    Summer Wars
    Ouran High School Host Club
    Maplestory
    Beck
    Hello Kitty (gonna pass on that)

So I'm gonna need to check those out.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAztaroth View Post
    Steins;Gate ( - Epic - )

I agree (Does have a slow start though to be honest, but that is intentional).

Shinsekai Yori (If you want to discover a pretty interesting post apocalyptic world) (Chars start as childs to introduce you to the world but they age as the episodes pass)
    I don't even like telling people anything about that show because of how interesting it was. It's one of those ones you really just got to watch.

Mushi shi (If you want something relaxing and interesting to watch and dont mind episodic stuff)
    I noticed a lot of people mentioned this show and it's definitely one of the better ones. Along that vein is Natsume Yuujinchou.

Psycho-Pass (Darker anime. Police themed in a city where people are assigned life carreers and constantly analysed by the Sybil system, an advanced computer system that pretty much dictates the people's life. People are usually arrested before they even commit a crime due to their psycho-pass showing their criminal intents. Storyline is worth it tho. I'd suggest against watching though if you get very uncomfortable when there's violence, it gets a bit creepy at times.)
    That show is basically is like the anime version of Minority Report + Watch Dogs from the police's perspective. Really good though

Log horizon / SAO ( If you want something MMO-Themed and don't wanna be stuck playing through the.//hack games) (Sao has horrible romance tho) (and as far as I'm concerned, both are lots worse than dot hack)
    I saw the posts about the three shows along the same vein (Log Horizon/Sword Art Online/.Hack//) and here's what I think about them:

SAO had some cool concepts I'd like to actually see implemented in a game, but was kinda of average as an anime. The first season was better than the second, but had the best action scenes of the 3. That's all it had going for it in my book. 7/10

Log Horizion has a solid plot and gets a good grip on the aspects of traditional MMORPGs that are enjoyable/interesting. I also really like how it focuses more on the actual plot and the game elements in the show, such as the explanation of abilities and tactics you'd use. It has it's anime moments where it focuses on the stereotypical stuff and it doesn't get too serious, but it still stays consistent in quality overall. 8/10

.Hack I have mixed feelings about but overall love the series. Basically, I felt the games tell the story a whole lot better, since it's like you're getting a first hand experience of what the characters go through and the combination of the story mixed in with the gameplay and having to read though the in game BBS, or "The Board" was really interesting. The anime just doesn't do it justice but still interesting. 8/10

You could also check out Durarara, dunno how to describe it tho.
    Durarara is one of those anime with plot convergences similar to Baccano! or in video games, Odin Sphere and even FFXIII to a lesser extent as far as quality, and I've always really liked that style. Because of that, I usually just go with telling people, "you should watch it, it's really good and I don't want to spoil it" lol. But yeah that show is hilarious along with a nice soundtrack and good plot and style.
    Last edited by Kashis; 06-17-2014 at 04:31 AM.
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis
    Smash Bros 3DS NNID Sliphatos (1762-2677-2366)

Hey, just wanted to toss it out there that this season has a number of phenomenal shows that have just started.

The ones that are standing out (IMO) are:

Akame ga Kill (Action, Fantasy)
    Barakamon (Slice of Life)
    Sword Art Online II (Action, Sci Fi, Mystery)
    Tokyo ESP (Supernatural, Action)
    Tokyo Ghoul (Horror, Psychological, Action)
    Zankyou no Terror (Psychological, Suspense,)
    Aldnoah.Zero (Sci-Fi, Mecha, War)

Lesser extent:
    Rail Wars! (Comedy, Slice of Life, Romance, Action)
    Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen (Mecha, War)

Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

Started watching Shinsekai yori and I'm on episode 11 now. I've got some strong, mixed feelings about the anime. It seemed like the first four or five episodes were great, but then suddenly I started to notice that the quality of the animation was pretty crap. At first I thought it was just where I was watching it, but after watching from multiple sources, I think it's just the anime itself.

My biggest gripe is that the FPS seems to be noticeably lower than other anime. This is only really a bother in scenes that have a lot of movement, which seems to be be happening less and less frequent as the episodes go on. Which brings up my next gripe, it seems like the director loves still scenes. I almost feel like I'm watching the original Dragon Ball Z where characters would just float around and you would hear their inner dialogue, while panning back and forth between the same stills. I've seen a few instances of sloppy animating, too, such as full sentences being said where the mouth doesn't move, or the mouth movement is just the same open-and-close over and over. The only thing that the director seems to like more than stills are fade-outs and ins. I almost feel like the show was edited by a newbie to Sony Vegas, in some of the episodes. These are all the types of things that shouldn't be noticed while just watching the show - maybe if you're looking at it with a critical eye while trying to find mistakes, but I haven't. All I've tried to do is enjoy the show while all these issues keep glaring at me.

The story seems to go back and forth between awesome and meh. And the meh seems increasingly be the case as the episodes go on. For the first few episodes I was like, "Damn, I can't believe I've never seen this before. It's damn amazing!" But for the past few episodes, I've been thinking the anime resembles a shoddy shoujo anime more than anything else. I don't know why, but Shoujo anime/manga seem to have incredibly simple and crap artwork, as well as simple and over-told stories, 9 out of 10 times.

This quality seems to flip-flop, and I honestly thought the show was being directed by a few different people most of the time. Heck, it might have been, I haven't actually looked into it. But it's coming to the point where I'm starting to wonder if I should even continue watching, rather than just look up a description of the story somewhere. It just seems like it's not going to be worth going through 5 more hours of this. I really wish the awesomeness had been thorough all the way through.
    Last edited by ApocaRUFF; 07-21-2014 at 06:51 AM.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Xenonight2's Zealot Reputation: 87

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    Started watching Shinsekai yori and I'm on episode 11 now. I've got some strong, mixed feelings about the anime. It seemed like the first four or five episodes were great, but then suddenly I started to notice that the quality of the animation was pretty crap. At first I thought it was just where I was watching it, but after watching from multiple sources, I think it's just the anime itself.
    I actually consider Shinsekai as getting better and more complex as the story goes on, while the start is more of a slice of life thing.
    You're getting closer to the interesting parts, as far as I'm concerned :o. Ain't really ''actionny'' .. gotta admit its a weird anime. Animation quality varies ALOT.

Do not worry. You have not seen everything of the story yet. *giggles like a madman* The show might not be for everyone, but you should probably finish it, you just finished the ''introduction''.

Quote Originally Posted by Kashis View Post
    Finally went through and read everything and got all the suggestions (they were all pretty much good) And I've seen/am watching almost everything mentioned but:

Noein
    House of Five Leaves
    Gankutsuou (seen the original source and read the book though)
    Akira
    Summer Wars
    Ouran High School Host Club
    Maplestory
    Beck
    Hello Kitty (gonna pass on that)

So I'm gonna need to check those out.
    Noein was a bit of a disappointment, a very interesting concept about alternative dimensions, but poorly executed, poor romance, very cheesy and lame moments, hollow characters too :S was interesting for a moment....
    Heard good things about Akira, Summer Wars and Beck though. I need to check those out..
    Last edited by DarkAztaroth; 07-21-2014 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post

My biggest gripe is that the FPS seems to be noticeably lower than other anime. This is only really a bother in scenes that have a lot of movement, which seems to be be happening less and less frequent as the episodes go on. Which brings up my next gripe, it seems like the director loves still scenes. I almost feel like I'm watching the original Dragon Ball Z where characters would just float around and you would hear their inner dialogue, while panning back and forth between the same stills. I've seen a few instances of sloppy animating, too, such as full sentences being said where the mouth doesn't move, or the mouth movement is just the same open-and-close over and over. The only thing that the director seems to like more than stills are fade-outs and ins. I almost feel like the show was edited by a newbie to Sony Vegas, in some of the episodes. These are all the types of things that shouldn't be noticed while just watching the show - maybe if you're looking at it with a critical eye while trying to find mistakes, but I haven't. All I've tried to do is enjoy the show while all these issues keep glaring at me.

The story seems to go back and forth between awesome and meh. And the meh seems increasingly be the case as the episodes go on. For the first few episodes I was like, "Damn, I can't believe I've never seen this before. It's damn amazing!" But for the past few episodes, I've been thinking the anime resembles a shoddy shoujo anime more than anything else. I don't know why, but Shoujo anime/manga seem to have incredibly simple and crap artwork, as well as simple and over-told stories, 9 out of 10 times.

This quality seems to flip-flop, and I honestly thought the show was being directed by a few different people most of the time. Heck, it might have been, I haven't actually looked into it. But it's coming to the point where I'm starting to wonder if I should even continue watching, rather than just look up a description of the story somewhere. It just seems like it's not going to be worth going through 5 more hours of this. I really wish the awesomeness had been thorough all the way through.
    The animation thing I noticed as well, but there's a reason why the story is the way it is. Watch it till the end, then come back and discuss the story. It's not what you think. A worse offender of this (kinda sloppy/lazy/random animation but great story) is Aku no Hana.

I think the animation style is just different than what you are used to, kinda similar to what people feel when they watch stuff from Shaft (although theirs is consistently dynamic). You may or may not still have mixed feelings about the show at the end, but I'll assure you it'll be for different reasons by then.

There are actually some really well done scenes in the 2nd half of the show (one in particular had me sitting on the edge of my seat and holding my breath) so definitely don't give up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAztaroth View Post
    Noein was a bit of a disappointment, a very interesting concept about alternative dimensions, but poorly executed, poor romance, very cheesy and lame moments, hollow characters too :S was interesting for a moment....
    Heard good things about Akira, Summer Wars and Beck though. I need to check those out..
    You know what? I had heard the same thing about it and that was why I hadn't watched it yet lol. But a number of people do recommend it though so I want to check it out and see for myself.

Akira I saw on tv, but not the whole thing so I had no clue wtf was going on so I have to watch it from the beginning. Summer Wars I heard was good; I think I started up on Beck and just never finished.
    Last edited by Kashis; 07-21-2014 at 08:21 AM.

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 88

I really liked Darker than Black.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234