Is South Korea considered a nerdy nation?

TerrinBlaze's Treasure Reputation: 32

Default Is South Korea considered a nerdy nation?

Considering they are very big in the tech industries. EX: Samsung, LG, and etc...

Not only that, but they are very heavy in the E-sport scene. I was surprised at how professional the E-sport scene is over there in S.Korea.

I haven't been to South Korea, but do people in the U.S and other Western countries consider it to be a "nerdy" nation?

I want to go to S.Korea sometimes, if only to watch Starcraft 2 games.

S.Korea has the 2nd Best LoL team and some of the best Starcraft 2 players in the world right now, right?

The Undead Reputation: 470

i think they're just as high on the nerdy scale as any other technologically advanced nations.

china, USA, britain, japan, s.korea... they've all pretty much got the same tech. I don't presume south korea to be extra nerdy in any way.

Payne, Max Payne Reputation: 145

I wouldn't consider South Korea to be a nerdy nation. The US has Apple, does that make it a nerdy nation? No.

I don't think one word can properly describe an entire nation of diverse people and interests. It has nerds and it has non-nerds, just like anywhere else.
    League of Legends IGN: Ellista

It is not only about technology.

It is also about how South Korea value E-sports. I remember reading some player interviews, that some teachers were encouraging some of their students to play Starcraft. I don't recalled the U.S, Britain or Japan that have that high of a E-sport scene. (Though Japan does seem pretty nerdy too.)

I remember at one point they had cheerleaders for Starcraft.

I don't know any other country with such high emphasis on E-sports as South Korea. (Which is why I made this thread)

Obviously I am not saying all Korean are nerdy. However, it seems that their culture does seem to make me think that a lot of the population is nerdy. Just proportion-wise. When I asked if South Korea is a nerdy nation, I don't mean if the entire nation is nerdy. Just proportionally if the people are.

An example would be saying if Mike likes video games. Does it mean that Mike likes all types of video games? Probably not. It would mean that proportionally, Mike likes a lot of video games.

Their technology factor, their highly valued E-sport culture, and their emphasis on academics just seems to tip the scale.

I also have heard that Internet Cafe are very popular there. More than the U.S in terms of density?

Quote Originally Posted by Z0MBiE View Post
    i think they're just as high on the nerdy scale as any other technologically advanced nations.

china, USA, britain, japan, s.korea... they've all pretty much got the same tech. I don't presume south korea to be extra nerdy in any way.

Well. The U.S is pretty technologically advanced (Probably in the world), but our k-12 education isn't as top notched as South Korea. (Based on what I have read. Correct me if I am wrong). The U.S doesn't seem to be known as the nation of intellectuals. In fact, the opposite seems to be view.

Even though, the U.S have some of the best private institutions in the world, it couldn't cleanse their horrid K-12 reputation.

The U.S seems to place emphasis on sports such as football and basketball. South Korea place their emphasis on League of Legend and Starcraft 2 from what I have seen.

Isn't Starcraft 2 considered South Korea's national sport?
    Last edited by Espada1; 06-11-2014 at 10:34 AM.

Power_Gamer_6's Pick Reputation: 69

I know what you're trying to say. I would say yes to South Korea being a geeky nation compared to Japan and especially the U.S in terms of video games. The youth culture over there takes gaming and competitive gaming extremely seriously. I'm pretty sure they have classes for Starcraft 2 over there as well. The only school I know of that has a Starcraft 2 as a class in the U.S is UC Berkeley, California. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think other than Starcraft they're more focused on MMOs compared to Japan and U.S.

You would be correct. K-12 education in the U.S isn't as great. As a matter of fact, most if not all 1st world countries all over the world is better off than than the U.S.

Also, I didn't know internet cafes still exist in the U.S.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

Quote Originally Posted by Google
    nerd - a foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious.
    Gaming is part of Korean culture. Koreans embrace eSports. Americans embrace mainstream games (Halo/CoD/LoL/WoW). While America has many gamers, it also has an anti-gaming culture (my grandparents literally think that mining for rocks in Runescape is going to make me a serial killer, meanwhile watching horror/mystery movies with a lot more violence than mining for rocks). So emphasis on the "contemptible" aspect of nerd-dom. In Korea, gamers aren't held with as much contempt as in America so the definition of nerd is inconsistent.

I would say Koreans are more technologically literate, and value eSports as part of their culture, whereas in NA it is just a niche.
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

Power_Gamer_6's Pick Reputation: 151

Korea is a __________ country.

Quote Originally Posted by Phenoca View Post
    Gaming is part of Korean culture. Koreans embrace eSports. Americans embrace mainstream games (Halo/CoD/LoL/WoW). While America has many gamers, it also has an anti-gaming culture (my grandparents literally think that mining for rocks in Runescape is going to make me a serial killer, meanwhile watching horror/mystery movies with a lot more violence than mining for rocks). So emphasis on the "contemptible" aspect of nerd-dom. In Korea, gamers aren't held with as much contempt as in America so the definition of nerd is inconsistent.

I would say Koreans are more technologically literate, and value eSports as part of their culture, whereas in NA it is just a niche.
    nerd
    noun \ˈnərd\

: a person who behaves awkwardly around other people and usually has unstylish clothes, hair, etc.

: a person who is very interested in technical subjects, computers, etc.

Usually the second definition is what I meant.

Game Journalist Reputation: 421

"....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild