"We're pregnant."

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 319

Without clicking the video, pretty sure this is because of the statement Mila Kunis made.
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis
    Smash Bros 3DS NNID Sliphatos (1762-2677-2366)

Snakes Big Toe Reputation: 120

Quote Originally Posted by Kashis View Post
    Without clicking the video, pretty sure this is because of the statement Mila Kunis made.
    It was an exaggerated, scripted comedy sketch about a legitimate comment that is somewhat frequently uttered.
    League of Legends IGN: Ellista

A Shrubbery Reputation: 141

Quote Originally Posted by Z0MBiE View Post
    I've never heard anyone use the phrase "we're pregnant" until today.
    Ex-****ing-actly. I have never heard one couple who were having a baby say "we're pregnant." I really wouldn't say it anyway because I, of course, am not pregnant.

.... that being said:

My fiancee says that she disagrees and that it would show that I was on her team. We've already had one baby that we gave up for adoption and that I was always there with her. So, I guess I'm more feminist than she is :P
    # ᴛ ʜ ᴇ ʏ ᴄ ᴀ ʟ ʟ ᴍ ᴇ ᴛ ʜ ᴇ s ᴏ ʀ ᴄ ᴇ ʀ ᴇ ʀ s ᴜ ᴘ ʀ ᴇ ᴍ ᴇ ʙ ᴇ ᴄ ᴀ ᴜ s ᴇ ɪ ' ᴍ s ᴏ s ᴛ ʀ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴇ.

Quote Originally Posted by Phanein View Post
    Ex-****ing-actly. I have never heard one couple who were having a baby say "we're pregnant." I really wouldn't say it anyway because I, of course, am not pregnant.

.... that being said:

My fiancee says that she disagrees and that it would show that I was on her team. We've already had one baby that we gave up for adoption and that I was always there with her. So, I guess I'm more feminist than she is :P
    I've heard it a bit.

Ultimately, it is a preference and I'm not going to chew someone's head off for saying it, but I don't like it.

What I find more irritating is people hating on the video and arguing about irrelevant shit.

Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoSam View Post
    It was an exaggerated, scripted comedy sketch about a legitimate comment that is somewhat frequently uttered.
    What's legitimate about the comment?

It's not even biologically correct, nor does it imply partnership is any stronger than saying "My Wife/Gf/partner/spouse/etc is pregnant".

It's kind of dumb to say to be honest. And I wouldn't say it's said even "somewhat frequently" either. Most of the people I know who've had kids or are having them never say that.

I have heard it before, but it's rather uncommon. It just sounds like something someone is trying to push to be PC for something really insignificant. The fact that many men audibly claim they are about to raise a kid with their female partner is just fine. This shouldn't even be an issue.

Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

What's legitimate about the comment?

It's not even biologically correct, nor does it imply partnership is any stronger than saying "My Wife/Gf/partner/spouse/etc is pregnant".

It's kind of dumb to say to be honest. And I wouldn't say it's said even "somewhat frequently" either. Most of the people I know who've had kids or are having them never say that.

I have heard it before, but it's rather uncommon. It just sounds like something someone is trying to push to be PC for something really insignificant. The fact that many men audibly claim they are about to raise a kid with their female partner is just fine. This shouldn't even be an issue.
    I meant "legitimate" as in people have legitimately used it, not that I agree with it.

I've heard some of my family members and friends use it in such context. Its frequency may depend on where you live and how often you speak to pregnant women and fathers of unborn children.

It shouldn't be an issue, but some guys don't like when they're not equally included and equally pregnant.

I meant "legitimate" as in people have legitimately used it, not that I agree with it.

I've heard some of my family members and friends use it in such context. Its frequency may depend on where you live and how often you speak to pregnant women and fathers of unborn children.

It shouldn't be an issue, but some guys don't like when they're not equally included and equally pregnant.
    I'm sorry but while I can understand that the frequency of that phrase might vary, the context in which it's used, from what I've seen, has always been because some women don't like it when men say that "they" are pregnant because they think it implies that the father had no part in the process. It has never been because men don't feel like they are being included.

I really hate to sound sexist on this, but that's some shit that women say, not men. Women have pushed that concept onto men and some have gone with it or are supportive of the idea, but it's not something that men have been pushing for to be added to our socially acceptable vocabulary folders.

I'm sorry but while I can understand that the frequency of that phrase might vary, the context in which it's used, from what I've seen, has always been because some women don't like it when men say that "they" are pregnant because they think it implies that the father had no part in the process. It has never been because men don't feel like they are being included.

I really hate to sound sexist on this, but that's some shit that women say, not men. Women have pushed that concept onto men and some have gone with it or are supportive of the idea, but it's not something that men have been pushing for to be added to our socially acceptable vocabulary folders.
    If you clicked on the link and read the YouTube comments, you'd see you are wrong.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 567

I don't like the sentiment that shines through in the OP.

A baby isn't some kind of possession. Imo, if you are in a relationship that argues over the "possession" of certain bodily functions, you don't get what counts in this world.

If this topic bothers you at all, don't rush into getting children.

Where does the phrase come from anyways? Let me share my theory:
    When the woman becomes pregnant, couples at times, fight, or even break up. To counter that effect, they go to counseling sessions where they try all the coveted roleplay stuff, yadayada. Also they get exercises to promote a better understanding and show more caring for each others needs and interests.
    One of the things those councilors come up with is:
    "Why don't you try out saying 'our pregnancy' and 'We are pregnant' instead of 'Her pregnancy' and 'She is pregnant'". Magically this tends to happen more often in counseling that works, so everyone suddenly is all over the idea.
    There are however individuals who prefer to first go through the "fighting followed by counseling" phase, just in case. They are just too cool to use silly language like that, because they are rebels by nature or w/e. Until it matters, when the idea becomes silly.

From this perspective: Humbly and with no ill intent @the OP. F* your idea of the political relevance of things here. It's really not what counts.
    Is it really any of your business? Do you want to hear that story above from a friend who you correct about that phrase and would you keep insisting?

Also M. K. an J. K. didn't raise my respect for them today. Unaware comedy is just... (dumb might be the best fit of a word I am looking for.)
    Last edited by Ronin; 06-14-2014 at 01:49 PM.

Stay frosty.

If you clicked on the link and read the YouTube comments, you'd see you are wrong.
    Yes, because if youtube comments from strangers sarcastically disagree with me or are being argumentative for the sake of it, I must be wrong. If you want to sit here and argue about who's right and wrong I'ma save you the trouble and just say I am so you can take the tally mark, if you think that actually matters.

Sure, there are guys who say that "we're pregnant" and that's fine, but most don't. Typically, guys have been saying, "we're having a baby" or "my__ is having a baby" and people understood that to mean that they are being supportive. It's only been "somewhat recently" that this "we're pregnant" thing has been an issue.

Ultimately, who the hell cares what people say as long as they are being supportive?

So yeah, for the record, I personally think the statement is dumb and irrelevant. Thanks for listening.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast